Anvil advice

Think the shipping might beggar you :-|:lol:

Appreciate your interest though! Thank you :thumb:
If you’re serious about shipping look at pallet prices rather than parcel price. I recently priced a lathe (well part of it) and was looking at about £60 you could be pleasantly surprised.

Just spotted the weight marks....The anvil stamped weight is 239lbs 2x1cwt.1 stone and 1 lb (224+14+1)

Peter Wright 211  239lb.jpg

The marks on my anvil are:

PETER
WRIGHT
PATENT

SOLID
WROUGHT
With the words "solid wrought" going round in a circle...try a side lit photo to see if anything will show up on both sides. Though I have only seen them with all the marks on the same side.

When you have given the anvil a power wire brush all over give it a wipe with black, blue or red shoe polish...same with the Leg Vice...furniture wax is fine but the pigment in the shoe polish will bring out the iron...

Alan

Could be a T above and OLID from "solid"

I can't believe you spotted that from a picture. I was staring at it from about 6" and didn't see that!!!!

Is that a '68' I can see on the right hand side, too? I'll need to go out and have closer look now. Standby

Last edited:
I was mucking about with the filters in PhotoShop. But I do have the advantage of knowing where it should have been!

I will drop mum back later this evening and pop into the forge and photograph mine so you can see what to look for.

Try the shoe polish and / or chalk and a side light.

Alan

I think I can discern the 'Peter', and definitely an 'H' and 'G'. You're spot-on about the '211', and there also appears to be a '2' a couple of inches under the centre '1' also. The marks are so faded as to be almost illegible though. I think this poor old lump has been a bit neglected, or it's had some serious use! 20190818_214159.jpg20190818_214338.jpg

If you sell them you'll regret it. Don't do it!

I think you're probably right, Tim. I had a wee 1/4cwt one that I sold a couple of years ago, no sooner was it in the back of the buyers van than I regretted letting it go. It was an absolute beauty. Sounds daft, but I feel I almost have an affinity with these items

My Peter Wright is 3 0 3...3cwt and 3 lbs 339lbs

Mine has also suffered from the some wazzok testing a cold chisel down the sweeps...yours does not seem to have suffered such a common fate...but it does appear to have had someone testing a centre punch here and there.

Alan

IMG_7195.jpg

@Woodsmoke ...Thinking about it again that centre weight number might be quarter cwt. i.e. 28lbs rather than 14lb. stones...I have never actually weighed mine but couldn't tell if I did anyway because my centre number is 0.

So your anvil may be 224+28+1 253lb. be interesting to find out if you ever weigh it...the weight markings are plus or minus a lb. or two I think but should be close enough for you to tell whether it refers to stones or quarters.

Alan

The centre punch marks might be worth looking at...it appears to be letters...I thought it might be LNER at one time but...the second letter could be N H R or B

Peter Wright centre punch marks.jpg

Alan

If I lived in Kirkton of Glenisla I'd give you £200 delivered but Canterbury might be a stretch.

K
I keep coming back to this thread awaiting the crescendo, price for the two items and location, please PM me if for sale

Are either of you two actually looking for either...a working anvil...an ASO (Anvil Shaped Object)...or specifically a Peter Wright?

Alan

@Alantoo

I couldn't resist having a go at taking off the worst of the pitting with a grinder and a light touch. I kept it very cool and just played it over the surface until I could see a difference. Then I had a go with a 100 grit flapper disc and some machine oil. Then some 200 on an orbital to polish. Still some slight marks to polish out (my fault!), but I reckon that face has cleaned up beautifully compared to how it was

20190820_195719.jpg

Back