Any hidden gems in .223?????

jimbo123p

The point is I will soon be in the market for a .223 Will want to rig it with a good probably fixwd scope and use my half inch threaded cmm mod. The thing is I see Tikka/Sako etc as the front runners in most calibres on here but go to guntrader and the list then becomes endless. Looking at the £500 mark for the rifle to give the price circa £800 for a nice set-up if I can do it. What other rifles in this calibre are worth considering? Jim

You may know this already, but the Tikka and the Sako are rather different propositions. The Tikka T3 is a .30-06 action whereas the Sako is a much lighter small scale .22 Centrefire action, and priced accordingly.

When I was looking for a .223 there was a secondhand Tikka LH, but I decided to go for a new CZ. These are rimfire size. There are plenty on GT:-

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/results.php?&Filter[NewType][]=Rifle&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Bolt%20Action&Filter[Calibre][]=.223&Filter[Make][]=BRNO&Filter[Make][]=CZ

If these take your fancy avoid the cheaper Lux with sights (first suggestion), fullstock, or carbine. Go for the American or Varmint models which have a stock designed for 'scope sight use. If it helps, every one I've seen has the year of manufacture stamped on the barrel so its' age should be evident

Browning X-Bolt ?
Mine will be for sale after xmas as I never seem to use now I have a .22 hornet.

Neil. :)

PS: It is also threaded 1/2 x20 instead of the normal M14

Browning X-Bolt ?
Mine will be for sale after xmas as I never seem to use now I have a .22 hornet.

Neil. :)

PS: It is also threaded 1/2 x20 instead of the normal M14

if i go for any new rifle in the future it will be one of these,

bob.

Pending the return of my variation which should be very soon I intend to sell my sako 75 in .223 it's already moderated and scoped. Pm me if you are interested

If I was looking to source another quality .223, I would probably try to buy back Cadex's Howa sporter, this rifle now has a new home with Fenlander.

Hi Jim
I use a Remington 700 SPS Stainless .223-1/12 twist
55gr Sierra Gameking's for Roe's and 40gr V-Max pills for Foxes
The only thing i have changed is the stock did not like the plastic one, so it now has HS Precision stock on it.
Bug holes @ 100yard's.
It does the job really well.
But if your wanting to shoot long range target's ect with heavier bullet's-70/80gr you will require maybe 1/8 twist.
ATB
Wullie.

Same for me as Black Lab, Remmy 700 SPS, barrel shortened by 4 inch so easier to carry witha Safari sling when lamping and short for use in a 4 x 4, Bell and Carlson stock. Some folk call remmys but at end of the day its a proven, robust tool to do a job. 1 -12 twist, 50 grain bullets with Benchmark powder 26.5 grains...foxes hate it )))

Jim. Before considering specific rifles, have you picked the twist that you want to get? I would recommend a fast twist so you can shoot 75gr/80gr A-Max and similar bullets.

Regards JCS

+1

I use a 1..9 twist .223 and it shoot's anything from 40 to 69grn bullets (more a feature of length than weight) if I was replacing it I would go for 1..7.

+1

I use a 1..9 twist .223 and it shoot's anything from 40 to 69grn bullets (more a feature of length than weight) if I was replacing it I would go for 1..7.

Fast twist rifles will never shoot light bullets as well as twist rates designed for the light bullets (or even shorter for that matter) there is always the chance of over-spinning very light bullets causing them to disintegrate especially in a 1:7 twist.
The way i see it is if you want to shoot longer heavier bullets get a larger calibre.

Ian.

Had a few .223's over the years , one that sticks in my memory was a very nice Tkka M595 - far more accurate than i was , current .223 is a remington lvsf - thats "light varmint stainless fluted" (bit of a mouthfull i know ) had it about 6 years now , B&C plastic stock and a medium contour / weight fluted barrel , the only thing i dont like about it is its blind box mag (prefer drop mags), the only work its had done is the sear / hammer stoned / honed , as ever shoots far better than i can , light as a very light thing - i dont even notice i am carrying it (i am not kidding) and it shrugs off water like a duck , i think the twist is 1 in 9 - but as i only use it with 55g heads i would check that ,long since deleted from their line up you might be able to find the odd new one lurking at the back of a dealers shelf or good secondhand pop up now and then , mines a keeper - which for me is unusual .

Fast twist rifles will never shoot light bullets as well as twist rates designed for the light bullets (or even shorter for that matter) there is always the chance of over-spinning very light bullets causing them to disintegrate especially in a 1:7 twist.
The way i see it is if you want to shoot longer heavier bullets get a larger calibre.

Ian.

Interesting comment on the disintegration of lighter bullets.

What was the load and twist that you used when it happened?

Back