Any members in Harris and Lewis

Class870

Evening. I’m in Harris till Saturday. Wow what an amazing place. Stunning scenery and the beaches are incredible. The sun shone all day today which made for a great day at the beach and on the kayak.
Skye on Saturday for a week.

Finch

Island Gun who was one of the good guys on Pigeon Watch used to live and operate a little shop/cafe in Northton if I remember. No idea if he still lives there. Shouldn't be hard to find if so, it's a very small place. He was kind enough to offer me some wild fowling if I was ever that way again.

The bar in the Anchorage by the slipway in Leverburgh always used to get a few locals. Spent many a hospitable evening in there.

Reactions: MAH

Stalker1962

I’m in Harris till Saturday. Wow what an amazing place. Stunning scenery and the beaches are incredible.

Do feel free to post some images.

I am up there myself (for the first time) next Autumn.

That is of course, if I can keep dodging this fella...

Unknown-7.jpeg

Always a gamble booking stuff this far ahead, once you get past a 'certain age'...:-|

lochty

IMG_20220510_125525.jpg Beach and tidal bell at Bostadh. Stunning. Btw there used to be a member on here who was on Uig and Hamnavay estate but I can't remember his name.

gerarddwatts

I was a leader with a group of venture scouts from down south staying at an outdoor centre called Valtos at Uig. 45 years ago....the back of beyond then! Very long journey in a pair of minibuses. One of the guys hurt himself and had to see a doctor who turned out to be a locum...his own GP from Hertfordshire!
Taking the lodge with some friends in August.
Looking forward!

vitalspark

Island Gun who was one of the good guys on Pigeon Watch used to live and operate a little shop/cafe in Northton if I remember. No idea if he still lives there. Shouldn't be hard to find if so, it's a very small place. He was kind enough to offer me some wild fowling if I was ever that way again.

The bar in the Anchorage by the slipway in Leverburgh always used to get a few locals. Spent many a hospitable evening in there.
I'm afraid The Anchorage is another victim of the pandemic and is now permanently closed.
Beach and tidal bell at Bostadh. Stunning. Btw there used to be a member on here who was on Uig and Hamnavay estate but I can't remember his name.
Would that have been Mal Macleod? If so he left the island a couple of years back but may now be back up with one of the other estates. Or might it have been Simon Hunt. If so he's still here.

IMG_20210901_112819835.jpg

Here's my favourite Uig beach, on Pabay, but unfortunately you need a boat to get there.

Last edited:

vitalspark

Fishing there in August....last stayed in Uig 45 years ago!
You might find it a bit different now. Quite a lot of development since then. The Valtos centre is just a pile of rubble but the roads are pretty decent nowadays. If you're staying at Uig Lodge the owners, Dickon and Elly, are a really nice and genuine couple.
Enjoy your trip

Class870

We are staying near scarasta beach. The house backs onto the dunes. 3-4 minutes walk and we are in the beach! Amazing location. Wow what fantastic beaches here. Scarasta, Horgabost, Seilebost and Losgaintir are the beaches we have visited. Can’t get over how good they all are!! White sands and blue clear water.
Daughters went in the kayak from Horgabost as it’s the calmest we were told. They didn’t quite make it across to Taransay.
Today we drove from Scarasta to Roghadal, very south of Harris. Then we followed the road around the south coast, signpost said C79? Really different scenery, very rocky. About halfway around, we spotted a large bird! Yep I’m 99% sure it was a golden eagle! It just soared above us for 10 minutes or so. And yes I had my binoculars on the dashboard lol. Just an amazing experience. We carried on till we got to the A859 and made our way home.
A lovely day out with the family.

Class870

Left Harris on Saturday. Now on Skye for the week. Very different scenery. A lot more greener. Mountains more dramatic. Downside, tourists everywhere!

Finch

Skye is horrendous for tourist traffic. I really feel for locals who have lives to lead. It's a big island when you've a job to do and you have to get from one end to the other on single track roads behind some holidaying fool doing 25 mph in his hired camper van.

But while you're there, if you've got time, the blackhouse museum in the north of the island is worth a visit. The Arnol Blackhouse on Lewis is earlier, more authentic and more primitive and striking. The the Skye museum is a reconstruction but it's fascinating.

Class870

Skye is horrendous for tourist traffic. I really feel for locals who have lives to lead. It's a big island when you've a job to do and you have to get from one end to the other on single track roads behind some holidaying fool doing 25 mph in his hired camper van.

But while you're there, if you've got time, the blackhouse museum in the north of the island is worth a visit. The Arnol Blackhouse on Lewis is earlier, more authentic and more primitive and striking. The the Skye museum is a reconstruction but it's fascinating.

Thanks for the heads up.
We hope to do a coastal walk at the top of Skye tomorrow. So may call in the museum if we get time.
Yes, totally get your point about the tourists holding up the locals. Campervans (a lot from Europe) take the island over. Really notice the difference between Harris and Skye.
We are staying about 5 minutes drive from the quiraing mountain range.
Passed the old man of storr several times, it gets so busy it seems they have put new paying car parks, (100 plus cars I’d say) with yellow lines!!

Finch

Passed the old man of storr several times, it gets so busy it seems they have put new paying car parks, (100 plus cars I’d say) with yellow lines!!
I rode down the A855 on my bike a few years ago before that carpark was there. Cars rammed in everywhere, both side of the road, with hardly enough space to drive between. It was a scrum. And it's not as if the view of the rock is a particularly good one. I didn't even notice it. A couple of small pinnacles on the skyline, usually in the mist. If you want to see it properly in all it's glory, you have to walk.

When I was there it was thronged with Japanese and Chinese tourists. One had his back to the rock and was instead photographing what appeared to be a metal and perspex bus stop shelter.