Anyone ditched their rimfire for a small cal CF?

MarinePMI

To the original question:

Nope. I'll always have a 22LR at minimum. As one poster commented, I'll be buried with my CZ Classic 22LR.

If the question is of replacing a 17 HMR, then that's a whole other argument. And yes, I would. I have two (maybe three? I can't remember now) 17HMRs. All shoot lovely. All sit in the back of the safe.

22 Hornet or (here recently) 17AH get the nod if a bit more umphf is needed down range... Just my two cents worth...

njc110381

I always have issues with my .22 until I buy a slab of Mini mag, the very few pounds for them always makes me smile. Can the CF's ever compare like that?
Nip over, shoot a Crow with my .338 and see for yourself. It aint cheap but my god the experience of letting one of those go without a mod isn't something that can be beaten by a rimfire! Knowing you've just spent £3 shooting something that you can't eat... Well now and again it's ok but I guess you wouldn't want to make a habit of it! Most of my land owners think I'm barking but at the end of the day they don't care as long as the pests are removed.

Back to the OP's question - I'd never replace the LR with anything. It simply can't be beaten for price and ease of use. HMR or WMR though - the Hornet beats it hands down on every point apart from cost and ease of factory ammo. Reload for it and you can have 500-800ft-lbs, similar trajectory and noise and much better long range or windy condition stability for the same price. I know what I prefer.

Better still hold back for one of these new Hornady .17 Hornets..... I nearly got sticky trousers when I first read about that! I had an Ackley and it was a bit of a pain to load but with factory brass available that's a whole new world of HMR on steroids!

foxhornet

wouldnt swap the lr for a gold pig. well maybe i would! but love it for wot it is also hav 22hornet wich i reload. got 17hmr on ticket but think i mite do a one for one an get sumat bigger

BWH

I changed a couple of times. I have changed from 17 HMR to 222 and back to HMR and now have applied to change to 17 Hornady Hornet. I use an FAC rated airgun for the garden, which I think in my situation will work well in combo with a 17 Hornet. I went to the 222 because I found that i was only using the HMR as a prone shooting set up with bipod etc so not exactly a walk about rifle so decided that i would be better off with a more dedicated rifle. Have since decided that a walkabout rifle would be better and most of my opportunities are within 250yds. I think the 17 hornet could be fun and just be a better mouse trap compared to the 17HMR. Time will tell, CZ havent offered a rifle in 17 Hornet yet so may never happen!

Lateral

I love my CZ455 TH .22lr, and wouldn't want to be without it. The same in .17HMR was another story. It would not shoot, even after going back to Edgar Brothers, who re-cut the crown, it stil shot 2" + groups !

A friend offered me a 20PPC (modified Remington 204 Ruger) and it's fantastic. Zero'd at 200yds, it's also zero'd at 60yds, pretty much "point, and shoot" out to 250yds.

Just a bit of a faff loading the first batch of ammunition.

Mark.

Muir

Only the 17 rimfires get mothballed these days. The 22LR still reigns supreme with the Hornet, 222, and 223 for longer range use. When the distances are shorter but the power needs more then the 22LR, I use the WMR. Can't be beat.~Muir

bewsher500

I would sell my HMR if it wasnt just a barrel.
If I want to wake the neighbours whilst shooting rabbits I use the .17M2, its cheaper!

.22lr gets most use.
like the idea of a 20tac or 223/22-250 for those 300yd crows though!

Kalahari

Quite like the idea of the .17M2, closer to the concept of the original .22 but withopeully less ricochet?

David.

luke wady

i dropped my 17 hmr ( i dont feel it dose what every one said it did ) i know have a 17 fireball and my bunny say hit at 150yrd
reloading is ok , but never as cheap as rimfire < i also have 22 hornet and love that but it lack the reach of my fireball

i still use 22lr for close in work,

griffshrek

Sold my .17hmr to fund the .204 I needed bit more range and punch .......am I sorry selling the hmr .....no way the .17hmr its a really great round but the .204 is a different league on its own

Muir

i dropped my 17 hmr ( i dont feel it dose what every one said it did ) i know have a 17 fireball and my bunny say hit at 150yrd
reloading is ok , but never as cheap as rimfire < i also have 22 hornet and love that but it lack the reach of my fireball

i still use 22lr for close in work,
Are you saying that the Hornet won't reach 150 yards??!?? I shoot prairiedogs past 200 regularly with my Hornet and sometimes to 250 and 300.~Muir

Hornet

Are you saying that the Hornet won't reach 150 yards??!?? I shoot prairiedogs past 200 regularly with my Hornet and sometimes to 250 and 300.~Muir
+1 on that, have dropped foxes on the spot at 200 yds would not be without a hornet:tiphat:

luke wady

hi muir no that not what i said! in any way
the comment of 150yards was bunny dont stay hit with .17hmr, so moved on to 17 fireball (30gr berger at 3540pfs)
true on good days i do shoot it tomore than 200yrd's but its a old well loved 1942 win70 pre64 with only five numbers so i only take it out when its dry, load is 10.3gr lil gun and 45gr hornady bee or hornet they shoot nice but soon fall off past 150yrd, i did use 22 hornet more befor i got my .17 fireball which shoots lot flatter and i never said that 22 hornet was only a 150yrd cal, but my fireball as more reach than 22hornent with my loads

hi hornet
my longest fox with 22 hornets is 187yrd ranged and as you say it droped on the spot

ps lads my fireball seem's more forgiving at ranges over 200yrds
the drop for my hornet with 100 yrd zero is 8.5'' at 200 , 2.5''dorp 150yrd
the .17fireball also 100 yrs zero is 1.9''at 200 and is 9'' at 300 , 2.5 drop is some wher near 220yrd's
so i get more bunny past 150yrd

Last edited:

Muir

Gottcha. Switch to 35 grain bullets at 3000 fps. Much better (flatter) load. That Model 70 sounds like a peach! You're blessed to have it.~Muir

luke wady

hi muir
tried them my old rifle just will not shoot anything a that's not 45gr's i get nice 1''groups at 100yrd with it, it down to the gun showing it age a bit the rifleing is strating to go,i have to keep velocity down to round 2600 2700 orthe barrel coppers up .
So i got a .17fb as a day to day rifle,

one day ill have to bit the bullet and have the barrel lined

Cottontail killer

I did away with my 22LR because I wasn't happy with the bouncing bullets, especially as it is quite flat where I shoot. The Mach 2 does the bulk of my rabbits but I think the .223 will be coming out to play for a while now. I'm hoping to perfect the 53grn V-Max load this afternoon ready for some proper bunny bashing.
Can you let me know what 53g load you come up with I'm going to start loading it when I run out of 40s

Cheers paul

Treacle Trackpad

I've got a tub of RL7 that I'm using up so I've been using that. I ended up with 22.2 grn RL7, cci primer, 1.860" OAL (to ogive, just to get them in the mag). 1/2" off the bonnet of my vit so they'll do for dropping a few rabbits. Once the RL7 has gone I will be moving to N133 which shoots great.

Can you let me know what 53g load you come up with I'm going to start loading it when I run out of 40s

Cheers paul

Muir

hi muir
tried them my old rifle just will not shoot anything a that's not 45gr's i get nice 1''groups at 100yrd with it, it down to the gun showing it age a bit the rifleing is strating to go,i have to keep velocity down to round 2600 2700 orthe barrel coppers up .
So i got a .17fb as a day to day rifle,

one day ill have to bit the bullet and have the barrel lined
As one who has been in the collector arms business, let me advise you to just have that M-70 rebarreled, instructing the gunsmith to CAREFULLY remove the old tube and let you store it, and the original stock, away in a safe place while you shoot the daylights out of the new barrel and action bedded into a new stock. In this way, a nice bit of history remains intact and you won't lose a penny of it's value.~Muir

luke wady

As one who has been in the collector arms business, let me advise you to just have that M-70 rebarreled, instructing the gunsmith to CAREFULLY remove the old tube and let you store it, and the original stock, away in a safe place while you shoot the daylights out of the new barrel and action bedded into a new stock. In this way, a nice bit of history remains intact and you won't lose a penny of it's value.~Muir
the world is funny old place here in uk the value is maybe £250(about $400) in the US in its contiion i have had eastmates of around $1800 to $2500 this is why i only take it out on nice day's, i each looking for a true pre 64 mod in 257robers or any cal really but they all seem to head back to US

270Buck

I have often considered selling my HMR (my third) and replacing it with either a Hornet or 17 Fireball. But, despite the HMR's performance shortcomings, I hang onto it because I like its convenience.
I also have a 223, and sometimes reloading for it can be a PITA, so I'd probably find the Hornet or Fireball the same. If required, I can always download the 223 to Hornet power levels, and though the Fireball looks interesting I doubt it would add any benefit over the 223 when loaded to full potential. Finally, .224" bullets are and cheap and plentiful, and this might not quite be the case with .172" ones.
Surely not thinking about selling it already, are you mate??? Or are you just jealous with the accuracy of my sako!!!!!!!!

Up for lamping this week?

Cheers

Ross