Anyone ditched their rimfire for a small cal CF?

Treacle Trackpad

As per the title, has anyone moved on their rimmy and replaced it with a small cf, say .17 rem/FB or Hornet etc? I'm just wondering if, as a reloader, the cost is that much more than a HMR but with big gains to be had on range/fps etc.

Cheers

TT

I always have issues with my .22 until I buy a slab of Mini mag, the very few pounds for them always makes me smile. Can the CF's ever compare like that?

The chap that taught me to reload used a .22hornet exclusively for small game and vermin. he cast his own bullets and if I remember rightly had a tool for making jacketed bullets out of fires .22lr cases. he could do it very cheeply but he lived on his own without a tv and was probably glad of something to do of a evening. probably took years off his life melting all those wheel weights on the cooker while he was cooking his tea!
Ezzy

I would never get rid of my rimfires 22 and 17hmr..i also use 22 hornet, 17 rem and 223 all 3 i reload for..i find there is always a use for the rimfire on various plots of land where larger cals are not safe.

Sold my HMR over a year ago abd do not miss it. Got fed up of the inconsistency so now I just use my humble 22lr and 223. I can reload for much the same price as HMR ammo give or take a few pence.
In time when funds allow I may apply for a 17 rem or 17 fireball.

Garry

Makes sense to me. I have a HMR but I do not rate it as a serious round for vermin control.

I have a 22/250 which is in a different league, but I think a 222 or a 20 tac might be in the gun cabinet next year, the HMR can go up the road.

I believe that if one hand loads then the .222 Rem or the .22 Hornet can do everything a .22 Rim fire could do and more of course but I would never get rid of the .22 L/R myself as I simply like the rifles too much.

I have often considered selling my HMR (my third) and replacing it with either a Hornet or 17 Fireball. But, despite the HMR's performance shortcomings, I hang onto it because I like its convenience.
I also have a 223, and sometimes reloading for it can be a PITA, so I'd probably find the Hornet or Fireball the same. If required, I can always download the 223 to Hornet power levels, and though the Fireball looks interesting I doubt it would add any benefit over the 223 when loaded to full potential. Finally, .224" bullets are and cheap and plentiful, and this might not quite be the case with .172" ones.

My HMR has not been used for over a year (bar one trip when I just felt like using it, mistake)
The Hornet has replaced it, and is cheaper to shoot.
I suppose I really should get around to advertising it sometime.

Neil. :)

Nope...kept the HMR and got a 204 too, will aslo look to pick up a cheap .22LR at some point. Think they all have a place in the cabinet and I just hate the thought of selling them on for the cash you get abck for a used rifle....

One of the guys I know has worked up a load to make his .22 hornet fire subsonic. He'll also use the same rifle out to 500 yards on the range. Not surprisingly he swears by it.

Nope...kept the HMR and got a 204 too, will aslo look to pick up a cheap .22LR at some point. Think they all have a place in the cabinet and I just hate the thought of selling them on for the cash you get abck for a used rifle....

In that case buy good used and save in the first place :D let someone else take the loss :smug:.

just hoping to do the same,

i had some dosh saved for a new (to me) 22lr but a stock i need has come up for grabs so i will have to get the stock, and i am trying to sell my sako quad 17hmr as i use the 20 tactical on the land now for everything from furballs to charlie,

i love the 17hmr but having a sako sat in the cabinet weeks on end makes no sence to me, so i will get one back in the cabinet when i have a job and can afford to run it as well as the other reloadable rifles.

bob.

My hmr is long gone and a 17 rem does for all my none deer shooting along with a trusty 22lr (which I don't think anyone should be without).

I did away with my 22LR because I wasn't happy with the bouncing bullets, especially as it is quite flat where I shoot. The Mach 2 does the bulk of my rabbits but I think the .223 will be coming out to play for a while now. I'm hoping to perfect the 53grn V-Max load this afternoon ready for some proper bunny bashing.

My hmr is long gone and a 17 rem does for all my none deer shooting along with a trusty 22lr (which I don't think anyone should be without).

i agree mate if you want big bags of rabbits then 22LR IS A MUST HAVE

i agree mate if you want big bags of rabbits then 22LR IS A MUST HAVE

Agree, used in the right place its unbeatble at true Rabbit control....Thats why ive added one abck on the ticket :)...Plus, as my 2 girls get older (now only 5 and 7) it will be an ideal starter rifle for them to use with me on paper.

Back