Anyone use a bipod and sticks?

murph3010

Anyone use a bipod and sticks? i have recently put a harris bipod on my rifle love it groups with it nice and tight . But i have found that shooting then off sticks my groups are low still better with the bipod attached but poi is 2 inch low. The rifle barrel is free floating stock is synthetic. i just wondered if there was some way to adjust my shooting off quad sticks to bring that poi up or do i just compensate when taking the shot. I did think i can just have it set bang on for sticks then if i do use bipod adjust turret only thing is i don't have basaltic turrets and could be a faff when trying to get that shot off quick. i could simply aim a little higher on sticks i guess . I brought this subject up ages ago i think but wonderd what other peoples experience was.

Orion

Eliminate any physical possibility first, is the stock forend flexing and touching the barrel when you are up on the sticks?

Skietindiekop

I use both and had a couple of misses that I then realised that the sticks had the bipod resting on them rather than the sticks being behind the bipod mount causing the bipod legs to be too close to the moderator and touching it when the shot was taken.

VSS

Are you using the sticks with the bipod still attached?
I've been through this same dilemma - trying to use sticks and bipod together. Couldn't get to grips with it, so I've ditched the bipod. Now zero off bags instead, and shoot off either sticks, pod sticks ( mini sticks used like a bipod) or highseat rail when stalking. I made the decision to ditch the bipod when it dawned on me that, despite using a bipod to zero off originally, I hadn't shot a single deer off the bipod. It was just an extra clumsy thing to lug about when stalking.

bogtrotter

I use both and had a couple of misses that I then realised that the sticks had the bipod resting on them rather than the sticks being behind the bipod mount causing the bipod legs to be too close to the moderator and touching it when the shot was taken.
This don't rest on bipod rest the stock behind the bipod on the sticks.
I use both never had a problem with P.O.A.

murph3010

Are you using the sticks with the bipod still attached?
I've been through this same dilemma - trying to use sticks and bipod together. Couldn't get to grips with it, so I've ditched the bipod. Now zero off bags instead, and shoot off either sticks, pod sticks ( mini sticks used like a bipod) or highseat rail when stalking. I made the decision to ditch the bipod when it dawned on me that, despite using a bipod to zero off originally, I hadn't shot a single deer off the bipod. It was just an extra clumsy thing to lug about when stalking.
bipod is on when on sticks im guessing its reducing the flip somehow. i have done same off a bag then poi is same of sticks. only reason im keeping it on is i like the idea of having it on as an option.

Tim.243

Not for 7 years....the wont fit in the V of most sticks, adds extra weight also unless you are in a elevated position any cover in-front could block the shot.
Yes on the " hill " standing upright with a set of sticks may well not work so in that case best take a bi-pod.
For what I do of shooting all year around laying down in a churned up gate way trying to shoot a fox in 12/14"'s of rape out at distance of a bi-pod does not work.

I say take one if you cant be out with one.....however I haven't found a situation where I wished I had a bi-pod.

Also they seen to be along the lines of the fad some time back of .17 hmr a fox rifle and a deer rifle... lol

Tim.243

lw woodlands

Most of my deer are shot standing off sticks or natural rests. I carry my rifle unencumbered by bipod but now often have one in my pocket or bag. I find that if a deer is in a position where i would consider using the bipod (ie at longer range, in open ground) i have plenty of time to attach it to the rifle before taking the shot.
I also fit it if I'm sitting out in a suitable vantage point rather than walking and stalking.
Mine shoots to same poi from sticks and bipod most of the time, although using a bipod from a hard surface such as bonnet or truck roof shifts poi by a couple of inches.

Last edited:

bogtrotter

Prefer to shoot from bipod if possible 90% of my shots will be taken with a bipod not always possible of course hence a home made
tripod if woodland stalking but left at home if stalking open ground.

springbok787

I know this will get some screams about costs but a Spartan bipod is what I use. Doesn’t have any effect on the rifle while using sticks and if I do need a bipod I can have a semi decent one not the rifle in less than 3 seconds. It’s also so small it can fit in my jacket pocket without even a bulge.

Downsides are the cost and it probably isn’t as stable as a Harris type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PKL

The reason your rifle shoots high off bipod is likely because it bounces off the surface, but I’m guessing your sticks have some form of softening material.

I never ever use a bipod because it’s ugly and heavy and they never shoot the way the rifle should offhand or in bags or sticks etc.

Don’t let that put you off as if your ground dictates that bipod use is the most efficient for the majority of shots, then that’s probably the way to go..

Don’t forget that even in sticks, you should still be resting the rifle forend in your hand, which rests in the sticks.

VSS

I know this will get some screams about costs but a Spartan bipod is what I use. Doesn’t have any effect on the rifle while using sticks and if I do need a bipod I can have a semi decent one not the rifle in less than 3 seconds. It’s also so small it can fit in my jacket pocket without even a bulge.

Downsides are the cost and it probably isn’t as stable as a Harris type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See here for SD member "Mouse" modelling the new spartan bipod in a promotional photoshoot:

(To see more of Mouse's stalking journey, check out rhian_the_deer_girl on Instagram).

murph3010

The reason your rifle shoots high off bipod is likely because it bounces off the surface, but I’m guessing your sticks have some form of softening material.

I never ever use a bipod because it’s ugly and heavy and they never shoot the way the rifle should offhand or in bags or sticks etc.

Don’t let that put you off as if your ground dictates that bipod use is the most efficient for the majority of shots, then that’s probably the way to go..

Don’t forget that even in sticks, you should still be resting the rifle forend in your hand, which rests in the sticks.
to be fair the ground suits sticks but my foxing suits bipod but when i put the bipod on my poi was so different i had to re zero significantly enough that taking it on and off will be a pain

murph3010

See here for SD member "Mouse" modelling the new spartan bipod in a promotional photoshoot:

(To see more of Mouse's stalking journey, check out rhian_the_deer_girl on Instagram).
i do like the look of these but dont like the price im trying to save for a thermal spotter

Koenig

I tuck the ‘V’ of my sticks behind my bipod (Harris) which have the legs folded forward in line with the barrel. Never, had a problem. I suspect your rifle is jumping slightly on taking the shot. Have a friend watch you and your rifle as you shoot from the side. He should spot any problems. You can then ‘adjust out the’ problem. Good luck!