Arable land rent cost per acre

Fair Hill

It's a pretty broad question.

How flexible are you with regards to location and how many acres would suit you?

countrryboy

Will depend massively where u live.and even depend on the type of lease.

To be honest not sure if/how u rent arable ground on a yearly basis. Don't have any let arable ground locally
We get wot u call 'grass parks' which are seasonal grass Letts but obviously got to leave the grass for the following year, might be more awkward with arable if someone leaves a rutted mess for stubble for the next person.

Apthorpe

Depends enormously on the quality of the soil, topography, proposed crops. Some activities may be restricted .e.g. potatoes on arable and pigs etc.
Ballpark ...on average 80-100 quid an acre
Ask a local land agent.

stonepark

For general use (annual cereals) on a FBT or SDLT

Grade 3 £80-100/acre
Grade 2 £100 -120/acre
Grade 1 £120+ per acre

But for special purpose (tatties, market garden, can be multiples of this).

countrryboy

Im surprised how cheap it is, the seasonal grass let's can go for more than that here sometimes a lot more when let at auction

ndjfb01

Hi everyone thank you for your replies , as you've probably gathered understanding the different types and uses of land is not my expertise! I was merely asking a question on behalf of someone that's about to buy some ground.

That said, I have learnt something today from you all!

Hereford

I let my ground now on an annual grazing license through our agent, and have done for getting on for 10 years now (the ground is run as a business), although this last 12 months I've taken a 25% hit per acre as the need (and the price people are willing to pay) has nose-dived. This year we were grade 2 and got £80/acre on open tender.

Having done the wheat thing and hear the farmer complain about how the low yield will affect the eventual cost per acre, and the potato thing when the rainwater rocketed soil into the centre of the village and it was my fault! (despite me asking the farmer to drill & mound perpendicularly to what he eventually did), it all got to be a ball ache letting arable.

12 month grazing lease is the way to - in that lease there will be clauses to protect you if the farmer is a twit - there are many of them that have far too many animals and to them they are just a number and seemingly don't care if they die on a regular basis (sheep have form for this), but it is your land and you will be judged! Incorporate into the lease that the farmer can take 1 or 2 cuts of silage/haylage and that he/she also bangs a 50/50 compound fertiliser on then you have a good deal, with considerably less machinery time on your ground as well. Couple this with the single farm payment (whilst that lasts :doh:) and in a good year you could be grossing £200/acre or more - then there's the PL insurance, and the hedge cropping, and the maintenance.......!

kes

Much better rents with 'accomodation' land - I know of one chap who charges £1000 an acre per annum on an annual lease basis.

Dan Newcombe

Depends on the land quality, equipment status and lease terms.

Short term with no repair obligations (ie a grazing / cropping license) will be higher than a long term agreement with repairing obligations.

£1,000 / acre sounds a bit strong however you cut it

kes

No, its a simple 'buffer' for someone who wants privacy and has the resources to pay.
As Dan says, for arable/stock it would be much less, as others have suggested. It would no doubt be reasonable to charge against tax liability ?