Are bullbars (roo / nudge bar) illegal?

Sidewinder

I was just reading that the old style full bullbars (roo / nudge bars), which protect the front of your 4x4 against animals in the road were made illegal in 2007 by some EU directive.

Is there any truth to that?

I am interested because I want one for my 1995 defender in the UK. In the States I saved the front end of my truck a couple of times. If they are truly illegal, then the world's gone mad.

Z

palmer_mike

Maybe you aren't aware of why the bull bars went out of favour in this country?
they are proven to be more likely to cause lethal injuries to humans (esp) children in the event of a collision.

private fraser

If they aren't already then it probably isn't far away.
There would be some justification for doing so though.
Think what they would do to a pedestrian. Likewise the "bumper" on Landy's.
Don't go off on one Landy owners, you know it's true.

ps... I used to "reposition" the stupidly big communal bins in Edinburgh when they encroached on parking spaces with my Series III Landy....and loved every nudge :)

Last edited:

willie_gunn

It depends what they are and when they were made.

An EU Directive introduced in 2007 made rigid bull bars illegal and new ones had to be EU compliant and marked accordingly. The law was enacted in November 2009.

You can read the EU directive here: http://www.autostylinguk.co.uk/pdf/EU-Leg-Bull-Bars.pdf

And the House of Commons Note here: http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN01216.pdf

Fitting bull bars that do not comply with the law brings the risk of a maximum £20,000 fine and 12 months imprisonment.

Last edited:

Sidewinder

Thanks. I am just looking for something to protect the front from the occasional thick branch, or large fallow. It seems that there are some exceptions when having a winch.

Looks like this was originally caused by some urban guys looking for the cool look.

Z

willie_gunn

Thanks. I am just looking for something to protect the front from the occasional thick branch, or large fallow. It seems that there are some exceptions when having a winch.

Looks like this was originally caused by some urban guys looking for the cool look.

Z
You can still buy bull bars, they just need to be compliant with the law, i.e. designed to crumple in an accident with a pedestrian.

Gaz

Also check with your insurance company, a mate of mine was refused insurance when he applied for a quote before changing his truck.

Londoner

Z
Like people living in London? Which rural part of London do you come from? LOL

Tom270

The thing about bull bars and apparently the square front of the Defender is they knock pedestrians down then they can go under the vehicle and the person gets run over. modern vehicle design causes pedestrians to fold over the front of the bonnet and be picked up where they roll off. Causing less fatal and serious injuries.

Bull bars offer a good deal of protection to the vehicle they are fitted to however all the energy in a crash has to be dissipated some where and with bull bars this is to the second vehicle, causing it far more damage and more injuries to those inside it. This is because only the crumple zone of the one vehicle gets used instead of two.

However I am not sure what the statistics are for pedestrians being knocked down by vehicles with bull bars are and if this was then adjusted to vehicles fitted with them for shall we say a genuine need, I think it will be few.

I can't recall going to a pedestrian hit on the road by a Defender or a vehicle with bars. I have been to many crashes where the Defender would need a few blows with a big hammer to straighten its bumper and the other car has been seriously damaged, but there are other issues to consider such as ride height and vehicle weight and who was in the wrong in the first place.

4 x 4 drivers do not get a good press, however I have been helped out by them on many occasions in a host of ways, and offer my thanks.

If I needed bars for a good reason I would have some fitted, and drive with the idea that its a big strong vehicle that posses a danger to others if things go wrong care and forward planning with good road sense negate many many potential problems. Happy motoring. Tom

Last edited:

Tom270

Having said that, lorries have the flattest front there is and there must be more of them than 4 x4 s. I do not know if there have been any changes to there interior front design to make them more pedestrian friendly Tom

The tramp

Having said that, lorries have the flattest front there is and there must be more of them than 4 x4 s. I do not know if there have been any changes to there interior front design to make them more pedestrian friendly Tom
Yes there has. Fair enough there isn't much that can be done, but you'll notice they are a little 'smoother' fronted now, and under-run bars etc are being fitted to the fronts to help avoid cars going underneath anymore, unfortunately, tippers (in the main) don't have front under run protection due to ground clearances, after the recent unfortunate incident in bath, I'm sure there will be people looking into how lorries can be made safer, an under run front bar 'may' have saved a few by pushing the car along and not going over it.