Are individual Fallow spot patterns conserved from year to year?

greenhout

I am monitoring the Fallow on my ground using trail cameras. There are lots of scientific papers that use spot patterns to identify individuals at a study site during a single season, but I can find nothing that confirms that the spot patterns of individuals reappear faithfully each year, like a fingerprint. There seems to be a large and mobile population in my area, so this year I haven't matched any patterns to those of last year.
Can anyone shed any light on the long term uniqueness of spot patterns?

greenhout

a colleague who has worked in fallow deer genetics
Great, that's perfect. I thought that the patterns were almost certainly constant and controlled genetically, but it's a job finding factual information that confirms this. Can your colleague cite any papers that I can read?

DamaDama.243

Yes they stay the same. We have mainly Menil coat in the Park here and they do not loose the spots when the winter coat comes through, so you can see the spot pattern stays the same, and the tick mark.

stalker.308

I suspect if you shaved a (dead) deer, where the spots are are a different colour, much like multi colour dogs, the pigment of the skin is different hence the different colour fur. Interesting question.

kes

At the distances I see the fallow I shoot, they just look brown - no obvious markings, maybe thats also genetics ?

greenhout

So the consensus is that it looks like I should eventually see one I recognise from last year then. Thanks for the info