are you happily in your employment?

Very true. When you find the element of fun in your job it's no longer work, it's a game!
Very true. I run a team of 150 in [household name] and treat it like a game, where the aim is to have an easy life, keep getting promoted and make as much money as possible.

Thing is, I’m trying to do it on a hard setting: always try to move things for the better, don’t crap on anyone, look after your people, don’t ever take the easy short term option if there’s a better longer term one, tell the powers that be when they’re making a mistake. I wish my conscience would allow me to play the easy way, because the people I know who did that completed the game and retired early with a mountain of cash and I’m still a wage slave.

I Have worked for myself for the last 20+ years I had to borrow £25 to buy my first piece of kit. as i didn't come out of school with any qualification's i had to do what ever job i could as i didn't have a pot to **** in as a young lad 13/14 i did Bingo Calling and shop work at weekends along with Milking the cows on a local farm before school after leaving school i did a YTS in Vehicle Refinishing /Panel Beating i now run a company with 20+ people in the electronic security business i was told when i first set up that "you have all the time in the world to do what you want when you run your own business" how wrong this is. i don't have a minute to myself i still say now and without a doubt the best job i ever did although its changed now is a Bin Man this was absolutely fantastic and i was as fit as you could get but this was 25 years ago when it was the Council who did the bins :D :thumb:

I work offshore in Oil, Gas and now Renewables ( wind farms ) and basically it pays the bills. There are days when I like my job and there are days when I hate my job. Being freelance, I like only having to work maybe 4 or 5 months a year, which leaves me enough time to stalk and enjoy the great outdoors. I've travelled the World with my job, lived abroad and now I don't want to leave the UK ever again; especially with all the Covid-19 restrictions.

40 years as a gas fitter with British Gas. Like others have said the first years were great but things changed drastically with health and safety and management not having a clue. Last 10 years I hated my job but light at the end of the tunnel at 55. Able to retire !. I know help a friend 2 or3 days a week gardening. Bliss. And lots more shooting 😁

Having had a diversified amount of roles some good some bad I ended up skippering a piling barge in Qld `and NSW `tween Noosa and Coff`s. It was a ripping job on and under the water installing pilings for jetty`s/wharf`s etc Salvage work included. A job with both easy as and also challenges that averaged out as probably the best job I ever had. I was as happy as the proverbial grunter in schitt. Then coming back to Vic I ended up managing a cattle property with Sambar and Reds onboard...bliss.

Building games ok apart from the customers .Enjoying it less as I get older and looking to diversify into me time that pays bills .
Going to start up a guided service one day when enough fallow ground is rented ,given ,stolen .

It's like anything there are some good jobs some bad
I think the biggest things that can make or break a Job is the people you work with/for. My current job is fantastic everybody gets on very well. Some previous jobs it's felt like going to prison every day!

When doing work experience as a teenager my mentor was a Durham miner who turned his off-time passion for wildlife into a job as a naturalist, which was when I met him. His advice stuck with me. If you turn something you love into a career, it can become ‘just a job’.
That stuck with me all my life, and have kept work and play separate. The folk I know that love their work are either in what I would call ‘true vocations’ as doctors or vets, or are in academia. The rest of us work for a living 😁

What I find particularly irritating about the work place is the complete and utter lack of respect that most have for others. I am not sure if its just a British thing, but most in the workplace have utter contempt for those in other parts of the organisation or those above or below them.

Why? - well its almost certainly from years, decades of being treated like utter idiots, and or expected to be an idiot.

Yes there are some complete and utter “bellends” but most are not, and yet in our whole society treating others as if they are is the default position.

It comes from the leadership and our governance or rather lack of it. And rather than simply trying to the right thing, there is a culture of both complete indifference -“ I am not paid to think” and constant micromanagement and measuring.

And rather than people of competence being allowed to rise to the top, we have a culture of spin and misinformation that is applauded and praised - he whoever shouts loudest and most takes the driving seat and then crashes the bus.

I have had plenty of jobs! Each time I've changed it has been to further my career or develop my knowledge. sometimes for less money, but always to gain a deeper understanding of an industry. I am currently looking at moving jobs again, as I feel my current employer undervalues what I do and offer to the business. Sadly it seems the norm nowadays and you are just a number. I am aiming to move to a job which will give me more free time to pursue hobbies and actually live an enjoyable life. I know far too many people who haven't made it to retirement and all the plans they made have never been carried out. I am now firmly of the opinion that live your life, not for the future but for the now. Difficult decisions as money does indeed make the world go round and i need to weigh up the pros and cons of each opportunity. If you're not enjoying the job you're in, change it!!

What I find particularly irritating about the work place is the complete and utter lack of respect that most have for others. I am not sure if its just a British thing, but most in the workplace have utter contempt for those in other parts of the organisation or those above or below them.

Why? - well its almost certainly from years, decades of being treated like utter idiots, and or expected to be an idiot.

Yes there are some complete and utter “bellends” but most are not, and yet in our whole society treating others as if they are is the default position.

It comes from the leadership and our governance or rather lack of it. And rather than simply trying to the right thing, there is a culture of both complete indifference -“ I am not paid to think” and constant micromanagement and measuring.

And rather than people of competence being allowed to rise to the top, we have a culture of spin and misinformation that is applauded and praised - he whoever shouts loudest and most takes the driving seat and then crashes the bus.
You Sir should be teaching MBA courses!

huh well i am pleasantly surprised at the those who genuinely love their jobs. it was more than i had thought. i work in pharmaceuticals. it is quite a joy being able to supply things that can help in some folks quality of life, the downside is the whole costcutting and streamlining that is the american way, it feels like over the last 5 years that the identity has been lost to make way for more tighter ships being ran.

My jobs ok. I enjoy it, but I’m retiring at 55 in twelve months to be a full time mountain biking bum.
Far more enjoyable
Your retirement plan sounds idyllic RA, although I would love to pack in at 55 theres no chance. Are you going to start guiding? Drop me a pm if youre in Yorkshire and want a day out.

Been a Nurse for thirty years.... recently retired and glad to be out of it. Miss the good bits, don't miss the bad bits - politics, obnoxious relatives/patients/colleagues - would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a rewarding, but frustrating career. Did a few few other jobs before I did my training and have spent my whole life working on the basis that anything I do, I'll do well as long as it pays for me to do the things I want to do on my time off - a bit mercenary, but life's for living and work is a tiny part of that. Still wonder what I'm going to do when I grow up!:D

I have been an Army Officer and a Police Officer, but the best job I ever had is my current one as a Foster Carer. The personal rewards, from working with the children are beyond measure. Seeing how much they change after a short time with you and helping them to develop life skills for a better future is amazing.

I'm a self employed landscaper and gardener. It takes me outside to live life quietly and without too many people around - I've always known I couldn't stand being shut in an office all day. There are parts of the job I hate, and parts that I love. Generally the bits I hate get culled off when I can afford to and I find something I prefer doing to replace them. Work is constantly evolving and generally it makes me happy.

My one downfall is that 24 years of hard physical work have started to show. My body is getting tired and I've still got a long way to go unless something unexpected knocks me over the head. Time will tell. I'd rather be skint and happy than rich and miserable every day, that I do know! There's not much in life that I want to do but haven't been able to.

Back