Are you thinking of hunting in the US?

devon deer stalker

Hi All,

I am heading back over to Montana again this year hunting Elk/Deer
I am contacted on a regular basis for advice on how I do it without using an expensive outfitter.

Whilst I am no expert I have had success, getting a bull elk and several deer, all on publicly accessible land.

So what is the best advice I can give, get a good GPS (or smartphone) and access this website.
onX - Hunting App and Hunting GPS Maps | onX
It gives you so much information, prior to the hunt, desktop planning combined with google earth, but when you are hunting it tells you where you are within a few feet, so as to avoid conflict with private landowners/poaching.

I wouldn't go without it.

Of course it doesn't tell you where the animals are....that's down to you!

Cheers

Richard

Another resource that is pretty cool is Huntin' Fool. You have to pay for a subscription to see their magazine, but it offers a TON of information on how to put in for each state's special permit hunts and what areas are good to target, for anyone interested in that game.

For what its worth, every state in the US has their own wildlife management rules and licenses. Most states have some "over the counter" tags that you can buy with out applying. Along with those, they manage popular areas for trophy quality animals with a limited draw system. Those draw systems often have bonus points that increase your chances of drawing every year that you try and are unsuccessful. Every state is different. Some are worth building points in for certain species, some are not. Huntin' fool does help figure out a good strategy.

Also, it basically costs non residents of every state the same amount to apply and grow points as someone internationally. I am from Washington, but to put in for Colorado it costs the same as if I were from the UK (in most cases).

Over the counter tags are tough as those are the season that nearly every hunter participates in.

A Guy Out West

Richard, isn't this 3 years in a row? Beginning to sound like an addiction, might want to start looking for a good 12 step program. Others interested in hunting here, it's likely the cheapest and easiest place you could go hunting. Find an online friend and ask them to take you, done deal. I am working on a hunt for 2019, with a a gent I met on this site, we are going to try for antelope and deer in Wyoming. Lots of guys are looking for hunting partners to share expenses, getting a hunt together should be an easy task.

devon deer stalker

It is an addiction!
This will be the 4th time since 2012, I agree, someone with local knowledge is a real asset, but I am confident now that I can, and have hunted on my own in Montana.
I here Wyoming is the best place to hunt Lopes, good luck on your hunt, nothing is certain in this life, but it's almost a certainty you will get it done there.
Cheers
Richard
Richard, isn't this 3 years in a row? Beginning to sound like an addiction, might want to start looking for a good 12 step program. Others interested in hunting here, it's likely the cheapest and easiest place you could go hunting. Find an online friend and ask them to take you, done deal. I am working on a hunt for 2019, with a a gent I met on this site, we are going to try for antelope and deer in Wyoming. Lots of guys are looking for hunting partners to share expenses, getting a hunt together should be an easy task.

Bavarianbrit

My pal is a veterinary large animal doc here in southern Germany and he is pestering me all the time (as I am an English speaker with 8 years experience of working in the USA) to go with him to NM or Wyoming on an Antelope hunt in 2019 but I will then be 69 and think the legwork involved will be too much for me.
He could rent an SUV and wreck it on the public land I suppose!!!
BB

teyhan1

Really ought to get my arse in gear as i have open invitations to hunt in Arkansas, Colorado and Maine.
Maybe one day

mereside

I did the online safety course last year to be eligible for the tags, I passed my bow hunting exams to be able to hunt without the mentoring I booked and planned for a year, then had my knee op, I have had to postpone my bear hunt till next october as I am not at full fitness so I am devastated

Cootmeurer

Another advocate for OnX maps. Great program, shows public lands, even the little bits, as well as the name of rye registered owner of private land. And, like OS Maps, it has an offline feature so that you can still work it without cell phone reception.

A Guy Out West

Should have spoke sooner, I am hosting a gent I met on this site for antelope and deer next year in Wyoming. Not 100% cemented but it looks like a GO. What you need is points or deep pockets for the premium draw tag. MT. and Wyoming offer tags that are premium priced but almost guarantee a chance to hunt. What you Europeans don't understand is that we are not standoffish here, make some friends on a hunting site and you will have offers beyond your imagination to go hunting. Your cost will be the hunting tags and shared trip expenses. By the way, the web makes you equal to everyone else in planning the hunt, you can do it as easily as I can.
Good hunting to all!

My pal is a veterinary large animal doc here in southern Germany and he is pestering me all the time (as I am an English speaker with 8 years experience of working in the USA) to go with him to NM or Wyoming on an Antelope hunt in 2019 but I will then be 69 and think the legwork involved will be too much for me.
He could rent an SUV and wreck it on the public land I suppose!!!
BB

devon deer stalker

I'm back, with some experiences of Heathrow airport and Delta airlines.
Whilst we abided by ALL the terms and conditions, and had it confirmed by email, things went a little tits up, but it was rectified.
The ammo, whilst we knew it couldn't be placed in the same case as the rifle, it stated it could be placed in a locked box (Peli in our case) in the hold luggage, whoops, Heathrow rules (not Delta) stated it couldn't be placed in our hold luggage, so it was all cable tied (4 Peli cases) and checked in.

Now this is important, I have ALWAYS taken an authorised form 6, its a temporary import/export document, many on here have insisted it's not required, well on the previous 3 visits it wasn't requested, not this time, they insisted on it, and without it our rifles/ammo would not have been permitted entry into the US, so for those thinking of not applying for one you have been warned!

BTW, I got a bull Elk, the other 3 had a deer each.

Cheers

Richard

A Guy Out West

Glad you got one, sorry to hear of your troubles. The gun travel rules are getting so complicated that even the people running the show don't know how to understand them.