atkins

scoby270

Sister in law was on this for a while, pros she lost some weight, cons had seriously bad breath whilst on it and ended up in hospital for @ 2 months because it affected one of her internal organs quite badly, will ask and let you know when i next speak to her, also the weight has now returned with a vengance to put it mildly. Best way to diet is just to reduce portion size, less sugar and exercise like a good walk.

Woodsmoke

I found cutting out carbs worked best for me. I was having a large breakfast (sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding), a Cupasoup at lunch, and then something like a pork chop or chicken breast with roasted vegetables. Wasn't hungry in the least, and I lost a stone over a month or so. Mind you, I was also playing badminton twice a week, too

labrador77

Have a look at slimming world, I've been sticking by my wife after she'd put on weight during pregnancy and struggling to lose any so she joined a local group and has lost 2st in two months. It's more of a change in diet rather than starving yourself which helps.

sauer

I found cutting out carbs worked best for me. I was having a large breakfast (sausage, bacon, egg, black pudding), a Cupasoup at lunch, and then something like a pork chop or chicken breast with roasted vegetables. Wasn't hungry in the least, and I lost a stone over a month or so. Mind you, I was also playing badminton twice a week, too

This!!!!

Have a look around you next time in a corner shop.... everything is literally processed cheap white refined carbs & sugar !
Doctors now saying government advice for last 40 years about animal fats been wrong ..... we removed them from everything then had to replace with cheap starchy carbs.... problem with diet based on that is you don’t use it all so what not immediately used is stored as fat and it also causes huge spikes blood sugar so pancreas works like hell on off and repeat ..... so now a nation of diabetics and obesity ....
I tried removing carbs completely to see and body goes into ketosis which then is eating your own stored fats..... massive weight loss but also bad breath ...... plus look around and how difficult it is shopping snacking etc as everything ! Is carb based almost!!
So cut right back on processed cheap carbs white breads pastas etc.... up the veg content and fish & quality meats .... & go for a walk or bit more brisk exercise little bit more ..... you’ll be astounded at difference in your weight , your energy levels .... no sugar crash after lunch wanting to sleep etc .... I think even the Atkins is only full on no carbs for first couple weeks or similar then Introduce them back slowly and emphasis is they do NOT form most % on the plate! Just as a side almost
Also other benefit with this is you are NOT hungry like you feel on other diets!

For me personally I need to work also on portion control instead of piling a plate up..... my colleague dumped ALL his eat ware and bought smaller plates and played big part for him .....

We are a nation on brink of a diabetes epidemic that will break the NHS ..... every 2nd hospital in Middle East specializes on diabetes as they follow the western diets since the late 1960,s

Paul

Last edited:

JockStalk

Agee just cutting down on white carbs and filling your plate with veggies (spuds don't count as veggies, or Glasgow salad) is a simple change to make and avoids hunger. If you are a snacker its a good idea to have snacks that are also low carb like nuts. Avoid sugar.
Keep it simple and don't leave yourself hungry, just fill up on good quality protein and veg/ salad.
If you overdo the carb reduction your body goes into ketosis, which those around you will notice as bad breath. Personally I don't think this is a good thing to sustain for long periods but decide for yourself.
For the bad breath, do what your dog does and eat some sheep shat. Doesn't stop the ketosis but it does take the edge off the smell.....

nun_hunter

Ditch the fancy diet fad as it won't be sustainable long term and is too restrictive. If you have a smartphone download the Myfittnesspal app. It's like having a personal trainer and nutritionalist for free and with you 24/7. I lost 17kg in 6 months and have kept it off for 2 years now.

N1mr0d

low carb has worked for me. My working day consists of a 1.3 mile walk to work. A black coffee as an indulgence for breakfast. A salad based on lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, mayo, gherkins (Tescos own are not sweet at all but avoid their chilli ones - full of sugar), olives and chillis topped with either an ounce of cheese (this has 1.3% carb or about 3 grams) or a tin of tuna plus an orange and an apple. Another indulgent coffee in the afternoon. A 1.7 mile walk to my Mrs work and the car. A 10 - 15 mile cycle ride in the evening. Dinner is meat (usually game) and any zero carb veg. Water all through the day. 5 1/2 stone in the last 20 months. Currently stuck in terms of weight loss although my average speed on the bike is going up weekly, 20 months ago I could not walk 50 yards without being out of breath and was undoubtedly heading for diabeties as sauer has suggested. Snacks such as pork scratchings are 500 calories a bag so are now a rare treat - allowed if you do a 25 mile ride at the weekend. You have to be fully aware of how many calories you are taking in and stop eating when you are full. Last Saturday I had a very hectic and physical day setting up our local church fete. The mrs had fed me a couple of poached eggs on keto bread (keto bread is simply egg coconut flour, nut flour, salt and baking powder microwaved for 90 seconds sliced and fried in butter to give it some colour) , 7 o'clock in the evening and I was still not hungry. Last evening she tried cauliflower based pizza which is grated cauliflower and hard mozarella combined and baked to make a base topped with a tomato sauce, pepperoni, olives, anchovies, fresh tomato and a little bit more cheese, it was far better than I expected but there was the association with a decent pint of ale that brought back memories - I have a target weight in mind for that pint, it keeps me focused

Best of luck

Rob Dhu

Hi Neil, I'm a pharmacist, I'm afraid it has to be a lifestyle change. There is an interesting book you can read, it's called 'The Diet Myth'. Worth a read.

Rasputin

Absolute waste of time fad diet. As above a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet is the only way to live let alone lose weight. Wouldn't bother with it.

Richie092

Ditch the fancy diet fad as it won't be sustainable long term and is too restrictive. If you have a smartphone download the Myfittnesspal app. It's like having a personal trainer and nutritionalist for free and with you 24/7. I lost 17kg in 6 months and have kept it off for 2 years now.

What he said. Started using this app three weeks ago and was shocked the amount of calories I consumed in a day. As with most things a bit of knowledge makes a world of difference am losing two pound a week and still enjoying my food. Well worth a try.

aris

All diets work the same way - by creating a calorie deficit. Low carb/Leto helps you do that. It isn't magic no matter what some internet pundits and bloggers say. This has been scientifically proven.

Try it - if it works for you - great, but you need to have a long term plan. Vast majority of people cannot stick to the restrictive diet for too long.