Avoiding frozen toes...

Tom1973

A trip out to the highseat early yesterday morning saw me layered up to Michelin man levels. Even with innumerable thermal base layers and 4 pairs of socks (including thermal ones), the cold started get to my feet after a couple of hours. I always find it strange that I can endure the cold as long as my feet stay warm and dry. Whilst dry, they sure as hell got cold yesterday.

Had a deer obligingly shown up to be shot, the toes would probably not have been that much of an issue. However, and probably unsurprisingly, nothing showed up (and all I had to think about were my chilly tootsies!).

The lesson learnt yesterday was that, if it's that bloody cold that my toes freeze, chances are that the deer think its bloody cold too and have sensibly snuggled up somewhere under cover. It also didn't help that every step along the ride to get to the highseat unavoidably sounded like a gunshot as the grass and leaves were frozen brittle. Any deer that heard me crashing through would almost certainly have scarpered.

Next time, I may just stay in bed if the thermometer shows - 3C and go out later in the morning or leave it until the afternoon instead!

Absence of deer and cold feet aside, it was an incredibly beautiful morning to be out and it all serves as part of the learning curve.

And before anyone else says it, I'll accept that I'm a Southern softie and -3C isn't as cold as some people may stalk in :)

FISH BOY

I started a tread not so long about cold feet with some very helpful responses.

I then went out and bought a pair of Grubs Eskline 8.5 from Uttings on the back of it.

Was outside from 6am till 5pm Saturday (3 degrees but -1 with the wind) and my feet were absolutely toastie all day sitting for two sessions.

I must admit I did couple them with some disposable feet warmers, but I would thoroughly recommend those Grubs 8.5. Wish I had found them years ago.

I still have a pair of quilted short boot socks bought many years ago which were made by Husky of Tostock. They are very warm and now somewhat tatty, but still just about serviceable. Can't find anything like them on the market at the moment so if anyone knows where such things can be bought I'd appreciate hearing from you.

benjrush

Has anyone tried Baffin Impact boots for high seat work. I bought some a while ago for a trip to the Arctic and they were unbelievably warm and comfy. I think they quote down to -100C or something silly. Worst I was in was about -25 but I never got cold toes. Having never sat in a high seat I can't comment from experience but I suspect they would be just the ticket.

FISH BOY

My finger tips also go numb, so having done a bit of high seat work recently have now got it sorted.

I use a set of fingerless arthritis gloves as liners, then a pair of McWets which then go into British Army artic mitts. Slide off very easily to take a shot and for extra warmth add a disposable hand warmer.:thumb:

0D2EF99B-0EC9-403D-A574-160A66B77B7E.jpeg

Too Deer

Buy a pair of boots that are a size or 2 larger than your usual size. This will allow plenty of room for even the thickest of socks, and most importantly, will afford enough room for your toes to move freely and the blood to flow in and out of them unhindered. A regular wiggling is advisable!

Since you're sat in a high seat rather than traipsing up and down hills, the lack of a snug fit shouldn't be an issue.

Leupsak

High seats work:
For hands, a pair of petrol hand warmers, one in each pocket.
For feet, gortex walking boots layered socks but with lots of air room, I believe thermal leggings and a cushion to sit on means your blood isn't cooled by the time it gets to your toes, also a foam pad for your feet to rest on helps.

Bavarianbrit

An old sleeping bag or a fleece Ansitz sack costs about £25 snuggled up to titty level plus you then take a thermos flask full of boiling water and an empty hot water bottle, when the cold starts to kick in fill said HWB drop in the sack at the feet area and after the outing empty it out and go home with two lightweight containers in the rucksack.

Chriscotter

We used to shoot the solway Firth a lot and the freezing mud was brutal. I’m happy to admit to getting in my hole, removing my boots and stuffing hand warmers in them for a 3 hour flight. I’d just nod and agree as everyone complained about the “nip” on the way home.

The Singing Stalker

Luxury Heated Socks. More comfort, more heat: £128.50 - Shop I am a great believer in heated clothing. This has been covered in previous threads but if you feel the cold the you will get cold. Last night I spent nearly 5 hours early up the highseat. I had a heated jacked and I was very comfortable. My feet were starting to go cold though. I might try the heated foot warmers first just to see what they are like. As £128 for a pair of sock....... Mind you. Buy once cry once. :lol::-|

Chriscotter

Well I me and the missus didn’t buy each other anything for Xmas so I suppose I could get myself a pair as a late Xmas pressie?!?!?