Avon and Somerset Constabulary.

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

AdrianC

Just for interest, anyone thinking of applying for a variation in the Avon and Somerset Constabulary area, be prepared for a long wait.
I applied for a variation mid June, the funds from my cheque were taken on 21st June so I made a phone call last Friday to enquire about the return of my licence and was told they are still processing variations from May.
They doubt I will get my licence back before the end of July so it appears a ten week turnaround at best should be expected.

kes

Could I suggest you contact your shooting organisation and ask them to help out ?

AdrianC

Could I suggest you contact your shooting organisation and ask them to help out ?

I will report it to them because the time taken is not really acceptable but I'm not in any hurry, it was more of a heads up to anyone thinking of applying for a variation in the Avon and Somerset area.

Ratsbadboy

Avon and Somerset seem to be rapidly becoming one of the worse. I have a mate who has just applied for his FAC and has been told at least 21 weeks. Good chance he won't even get it this year! Totally unacceptable. Was told by an FEO the reason was mainly down to staff shortages as a result of holidays, illness and vacancies. Also said that we, as shooters, are to blame as much as anybody for badgering the shooting organisation to keep the cost of the FAC down. Personally I think it's more likely to be due to a poorly organised and run establishment.

Cyres

I have just done a variation and I think it took about 6 weeks. When I called them they were at least 1 month behind.

D

kripton

My Co-terminus certificate was renewed in October 2017 and was turned around very quickly (in substantially less than a month) and so up to that time I have no complaint with Avon and Somerset licencing. I wonder if the subsequent machinations with some of the Doctor's calling for fees to provide information has reduced the efficiency of the licencing department and added to any delays. If so it seems likely that this could provide an excuse for the fees for the certificate itself (quite apart from any fee for the doctor) to be raised. Hopefully I am just being devil's advocate!

kripton

Update on the above -= my son has just received his variation (admittedly on one for one basis) in less than two and a half weeks from Avon and Somerset

AdrianC

The last time I applied for a variation in 2016 I had my licence back with the variation in a week.
This timescale is not acceptable. Especially for the guy who applied in January.
I'm now starting to be concerned about getting my licence before the end of September when I am due to fly to Africa.
It may be a little premature but unfortunately there is nothing to make me think otherwise.

DJB266

I would certainly be contacting my shooting organisation if it were me! What if you need to purchase ammo in that time you then have to faff trying to get it back off them and they won’t take a photocopy! Start ringing them once a week for the first two weeks then twice a week after that! Bet it gets sorted quicker!

AdrianC

As an update I received a phone call today from the FLO who is happy to sign off my variation and return my licence, I just needed to show good reason for the calibre I requested which I have done so hopefully I will get my licence back next week......

AdrianC

Licence back by lunchtime today after six and a half weeks, new rifle by three this afternoon. ;)
New applications are taking up to three months and likely beyond apparently so allow plenty of time.

CCC812

My FAC grant took 4 months. As I was told, grants will always take longer then renewals, variations and take precedence over new applications. The way they see it, renewals,variations license holders already have firearms, shotguns etc.

I gave them a courtesy phone call after about 3 months to see how my applications was getting on.