Back right leg joint abnormality

FISH BOY

Shot a young spiker roe buck last week who has been in the chiller for a week. With the refuse coming today I decided to butcher him last night.

While skinning him, I found this black soft lesion on his rear right knee joint. The surrounding area seemed softer, almost baggier than normal. Never seen anything like this before and just wondered if anyone knew what it was.

I might add that I watched the animal for 10 minutes before taking the shot, and he appeared healthy while browsing the brambles, showing no sign of injury. Hooves and internals were all fine too. The only thing I would add is also while skinning I noticed he had a Satsuma size bruise on the top of his left haunch.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Right leg joint.jpg
    Right leg joint.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 92

VSS

Just a localised infection in that area I should guess, result of a minor injury in the not too distant past. If all else was OK I'd just trim out the "bad" bit and use the rest of the carcass as normal.

FISH BOY

Just a localised infection in that area I should guess, result of a minor injury in the not too distant past. If all else was OK I'd just trim out the "bad" bit and use the rest of the carcass as normal.

Exactly what I have done, just wanted a bit of comfort from the wiser masses.

potshotpat

Shot a young spiker roe buck last week who has been in the chiller for a week. With the refuse coming today I decided to butcher him last night.

While skinning him, I found this black soft lesion on his rear right knee joint. The surrounding area seemed softer, almost baggier than normal. Never seen anything like this before and just wondered if anyone knew what it was.

I might add that I watched the animal for 10 minutes before taking the shot, and he appeared healthy while browsing the brambles, showing no sign of injury. Hooves and internals were all fine too. The only thing I would add is also while skinning I noticed he had a Satsuma size bruise on the top of his left haunch.

Any ideas?
Hi FISH BOY
Without going on for page after page just google Bursa (infections) for the injury. Also looking at your picture it has a soapy look about it which suggests an old injury (Bruising) that's healing.:tiphat: