Badger cull: do you sympathise with the saboteurs?

voted but not a fan either 80/20 at the moment but that's hardly surprising amongst guardian readership! :rolleyes: :lol:

I do not agree with their actions with out a doubt. Scum of the fu*king earth they are. Shame we can't cull them but that's a different story for a different day!

Last edited:
Personally I think theyre morons and not a clue how the countryside works but then what do I know growing up in the country ?? If I'd grown up in the city however I would be perfectly entitled to comment on such issues .....

Personally I think theyre morons and not a clue how the countryside works but then what do I know growing up in the country ?? If I'd grown up in the city however I would be perfectly entitled to comment on such issues .....

:tiphat:
Exactly.But we are after all just country bumpkins jimbo

I regularly converse with guardian readers on the comment section on this topic and there is no changing them. In general they have no interest in hearing anything other than what they want to hear.

Bovine TB may well be reduced by the cull. I think quite a few more communicable diseases would be helped if a compulsory shower policy is introduced for all those protesters. :)

Am I missing something? We cull deer, foxes, rabbits, amongst others. what's the problem with badgers?! We're not going to suddenly make them extinct!

They cant help the way they feel about it whether they understand it or not, we all got are funny ways, there protesting will die a death soon enough.

If you listen to the anti-propaganda it makes it sound like they will be wiped out in some areas and that's what a lot of the media is pushing to you average Joe Bloggs and Mrs.Housewife

I am not qualified to answer as I grew up in the country my Mamgu and Dadci ( Grandmother and Grandfarther) were farmers.
Only people that grew up in the city are qualifed to answer this question.

Ive no doubt some of the saboteurs are in it for the trouble like the organised crowd violence idiots at the football matches

Remember Swampy!

​And the effect he had.

I always recall it - as I drive down the Newbury bypass.

Last edited:
Got no sympathy at all. They are not getting the point, there are more badgers than ever and other wildlife is suffering as well as the TB issue. I've never seen so many badgers and when I approach farmers for new permission and any person who has got grazing for horses for that matter I get this, "you can't shoot some of the badgers can you"

i see more badger than rabbits on some of my ground. These protesters read about it but they don't actually go and see it for real and the effect it has lively hood and ecosystems. The balance is f****d up that's the problem, man created the mess and man need to now manage. If I had a £1 for the times I try to explain it I'd be rich.

Sabs "interfering with traps and digging up baits"? Perish the thought they should commit an offence in the countryside.

Actually I remain unclear on the science behind this issue.

Oh I know that a case has been made in favour of the cull on the grounds of some science but frankly that's rather like saying that most rifle shooters actively prefer to have sex with supermodels or that we're the only people in the entire universe because we haven't heard from any of the others.

I'd love to learn the truth so that I can make an informed, rather than an instinctive, decision. My instinctive decision, fwiw, is that the "countryside" is not a zoo or a wildlife park, it's a managed environment and that we all have a duty to manage it responsibly and effectively. Beyond that I'd acknowledge that the whole issue of farming as a source of food production is subject to all kinds of financial pressures, subsidies and inducements which don't exist in other industries. And if badgers are acknowledged to be the possible cause of costs to farmers, how come there's no financial motivation for farmers to control other problem species such as gulls, pigeons, corvids and rats?

Oh I've read that Cwis Packham is dismayed and saddened and I know that there is a place on God's earth for instinctive (but selective) bunny huggers. Let's see him build a tv series about the underground life of rats, the domestic life of cat fleas or the charms of the seagull.

Sabs go from cause to cause. By day they're protesting against fracking, by night they're rolling around the countryside larking about in pursuit of badger cullers. I'd love to see some sab corner a badger and try to cuddle it.

I also know that in my bit of East Anglia I've seen more RTA casualty badger carcases (or are they?) in the past two years than I had in the previous ten years. I see them on the A14 where it passes through Bury St Edmunds, I see them where I wouldn't expect to see a shy, secretive animal. I'd say I see more badger carcases on the side of the road than I do any other species of mammal. I see more signs when out stalking too. Any suggestion that badgers are in decline is not 100% factually correct.

Actually I remain unclear not only on the science behind the cull but the economics too.

Is it me or do you see the same bloody protesters at each latest event that ruffles their feathers??... I wish I'd thought of a special bus service that catered for them.....lets see, recently they've had that protest at that Pikey Camp/Farm place where they protested at the local authorities exercising planning law, the Fracking thing which if you asked them, none of them on the news understood..., a couple of protests at a few churches (including the quick getaway from St Paul's steps when the clergy got ****ed off with the mess) - and the fact everyone went home at night, now the badgers!!!

i could have made a killing - lol my hat goes off to whoever's got that gig!

T

Classic example once again of very poor management to an ongoing issue, exasperated by a media driven country and knee jerk reactions by a government looking for cheap votes (from a disillusioned farming community) with no budget having spent money on other research! that had a larger profit margin than a TB vaccine. It does not help that the majority of folk know absolutely nothing about the serious issues within the food producing sector of their own country or on any aspect of TB, how it is spread, what animals are actually at risk or how infection is controlled, but like to think they do and follow sheep like the opinion of others. IMO

Back