Baiting wild boar

Jagare

As it cold and snowing i thought i would do a bit about baiting boar.
I use three methods. The first is the tripod that casts out maize. The one in the picture has been up about 5 years and holds about 75 kg maize. The spreader is 12volt battery driven and is charged by a small solar panel. In five years I've never needed to charge the battery. The spreader can be set to throw out maize up to six times a day. I have it set for two seconds at 75% motor power and that will throw out a kilo of maize. The problem on my ground is that as soon as the spreader goes of at 22.00 out come the roe deer and eat up everything. Its not a good idea to spread maize during the day as you end up knee deep in Jays. I only fill up and spread maize during the non growing months of the year, Here thats May- October.
P1010783.JPG

The second method that works really well is putting food under a ply board. I have a section of a blue plastic barrel that lays in a slight hollow in the ground . I put in a couple of kilo's of maize and then this is covered by half a sheet of shuttering ply and a rock or two placed on the top. The boar have no problem flipping of the ply board. The good thing about this method is that it stops unwanted animals eating the maize. Certain times of the year badgers will try and dig under the board to get at the maize.
P1010785.JPGP1010786.JPG

The third method is the rolling drum feeder. Again this works really well but it may need some of the holes blocked off as a group of boar will empty it of maize in one evening. Again this method stops unwanted animals eating the maize. P1010784.JPG

The thing with baiting,is to use as little maize as possible to lure in the boar.

Bavarianbrit

Another one is for cutting off the top 6 inches from a tree stump then hollow out the bottom part to make a box shape to hold the bait, fill & pop the top back on with a stone on top and it does not show up to passers by.

Last edited:

Jagare

If only putting out maize was a sure fire way to attract them,, alas they are not in my area yet,, and should they finally make it this far,,, I fear I shall be long gone. :-|
I thought the same that boar would never reach the area where i live in my life time. About 9 years ago a 85 year old farmer shot a large boar about 5 miles from my place. Within a year we had had them here.

reloader54

I thought the same that boar would never reach the area where i live in my life time. About 9 years ago a 85 year old farmer shot a large boar about 5 miles from my place. Within a year we had had them here.
thanks for giving me hope,, now if we can all come safely through this damn virus, I may see them here yet. :thumb:

BearStalker

One thing that might keep them around longer, or attract them (providing they are within smelling distance), is to mix the maize with molasses and, maybe, a wee bit of oats. It will drive them, absolutely nuts. I learned this while hunting boar in Germany.

liongeorge

Your method number one looks great but will not work for me as the general public / antis would vandalise it.
I dug holes and filled it with mollasses maize mix covered over with logs which worked well............until the badgers moved in , had 8 feeding at a time :mad: this will put the boar off. In Germany etc they simply shoot them on sight I believe........not so easy here:-|
The rolling barrel method is fine until squirrels destroy the barrel. I see you have a barrel with brass lined wholes. What volume does this hold? The only one I saw for sale was quite small and expensive. I made one in the end using a stainless beer barrel......for some reason they did not like the metal.

reloader54

Your method number one looks great but will not work for me as the general public / antis would vandalise it.
I dug holes and filled it with mollasses maize mix covered over with logs which worked well............until the badgers moved in , had 8 feeding at a time :mad: this will put the boar off. In Germany etc they simply shoot them on sight I believe........not so easy here:-|
The rolling barrel method is fine until squirrels destroy the barrel. I see you have a barrel with brass lined wholes. What volume does this hold? The only one I saw for sale was quite small and expensive. I made one in the end using a stainless beer barrel......for some reason they did not like the metal.
a simple message stenciled on the slab might make them think twice,,, how about,, "this side towards enemy" ;)

Jagare

The rolling barrel would hold 15 kg I would have thought but with all the holes open the boar would empty it in one visit. Squirrels not a problem , we only have the red ones. I've tried lots of strange maize mixes and I've come to the conclusion that plain maize works as good as anything else. I did once make the mistake of filling the spreader with a 50-50 maize- dry peas mix. The jays set to work and had 75kg of peas/ maize on the ground in a couple of days. Lesson learnt and the jays payed a heavy price. If i have a problem with badgers the Norsk badger slayer thins them out.

AN DU RU FOX

Could you not try the stainless barrel again ,but first spray outside with brick acid it should turn black and start to rust up rinse off and weather they might not be as bothered then. maybe.

liongeorge

Could you not try the stainless barrel again ,but first spray outside with brick acid it should turn black and start to rust up rinse off and weather they might not be as bothered then. maybe.
I don't think it was the shinyness per say more the metalness ....but I'm not a boar so I shall never know! Maybe try again next winter, this winter been too busy committed to big fallow cull. Messing about with boar when you're not on the doorstep in my experience is a huge drain on time, diesel and patience!;)

willowbank

One thing that might keep them around longer, or attract them (providing they are within smelling distance), is to mix the maize with molasses and, maybe, a wee bit of oats. It will drive them, absolutely nuts. I learned this while hunting boar in Germany.
My cams show that both deer and boar really go for an old tree stump liberally soaked in molasses, you have to keep pouring it over the stump to get it to penetrate as the rain will wash it into the soil around the base.
Best results on stumps that are above 24” so the breeze picks up the scent.
I have one stump I’ve been baiting for about 3 years and the deer chew the wood for hours.
Will try the sunken half barrel baited with maize shortly.

Willowbank

Here in sweden we make something called maizebomb
we fill a bucket with maize +sugar+beer+jeast
and let it stay for about 2weeks
then we take and spike some holes in the ground and pour
the mixture in the holes and cover it
when the boars find it,it looks like bombcraters

Jagare

Here in sweden we make something called maizebomb
we fill a bucket with maize +sugar+beer+jeast
and let it stay for about 2weeks
then we take and spike some holes in the ground and pour
the mixture in the holes and cover it
when the boars find it,it looks like bombcraters
I did the maize soaked in home brew. I think there is still some in a barrel down in the barn. After trying that and the flavor additives that are available on the Swedish market i now only use plain maize. I find it works as well as anything else. A tar covered tree stump is something the boar enjoy. I've had a large galt thats been rubbing on the tar post and gouging it with his tusks. I'll be out over the weekend after a boar now its a bit cooler.

Olaf

Another one is for cutting off the top 6 inches from a tree stump then hollow out the bottom part to make a box shape to hold the bait, fill & pop the top back on with a stone on top and it does not show up to passers by.
A few years back I put some maize under a tree stump in the forrest, between the buttress roots , and then Blocked it in With a lump of granite. I came back the following morning to see if the wild boar sounder had been the night Before and much To my amusement found this

Attachments

Jagare

Nothing better than a dead green cow to bring wild pigs in...NOTHING!
My old bosses Parents lived and farmed in NZ before WW2. They said the pigs would clean up a dead horse in no time. Said it was a strange site to see the pigs inside the dead horse and its skin moving about.

Olaf

Nothing better than a dead green cow to bring wild pigs in...NOTHING!
I bet it is. In Germany you are not allowed to feed the wild boar, for example, grain feeders filled with maize are not allowed to be used, neither are dead cattle. You are however allowed to sprinkle small amounts of grain etc to bait them into certain locations.
Obviously, once you know what their seasonal movements are you can get a very high success rate.
In Australia, what kind of pigs are you dealing with? Are they Ferrell pigs or the Eurasian wild boar that we have here in Europe?
Kindest regards, Olaf