Barking Dog

Amhuinnsuidhe

Hi all

I need some advice.
I did some tracking with my fox terrier yesterday, laid a trail through thick reed bed cover with a change of direction, across open ground over a drain and into some black thorn, only 300 yards but he was on it like a shot, very satisfying to watch. Now how do I get him to bark when he's found it?

JT

MarkH

Using you tracking line put a treat (whatever you like) on a deer skin @ the end of the trail.
Once the tracking exercise is 99% complete hold the dog back on the line just out of reach of the treat. When the dog barks reward it.

Mark

bambislayer

Terriers are normally quite willing to bark unless they are trying to devour it!!!!
I try and get them barking at dead deer early on , keep a deer head in the freezer and mit it a game and tease them with it and get them excited they'll soon get into barking ,
Marh's idea will def. work , hadn't heard of that one before , with terriers it's usually stopping them barking that's the problem :eek: :eek: :eek:

Amhuinnsuidhe

Ok, I'll try all of the above when I've got something to drag for him. Here's hoping, it's amazing how fast he gets onto the scent and just goes, all I need is the bark!