Barnardos

David63

This is a very distressing campaign run by what I always through was a good and worthwhile charity - this film is, in my opinion is disgusting!

We (BASC) are on the case doing what we can to get this film taken off the web site- but it will not hurt if you complain to them as well.

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/

David

Thank you, we must all pull together on this one . Replies fromr BASC will be expected and I suspect they may already have 'stock answers' for us- but a rush of e-mails from the public will have a great effect.

David

BASC CALLS ON BARNADOS TO WITHDRAW CAMPAIGN FILM

BASC and all those who are active in legal shooting sports will be shocked and deeply concerned by the irresponsible portrayal of people involved in shooting in Barnardo’s latest awareness campaign. Shock advertisements such as this demean the cause of child protection.

Barnardos claims there is an unjustified and disturbing intolerance to children in modern society, and that they are demonised; yet the organisation thinks it acceptable to demonise people who lawfully shoot.

The film clearly shows sporting guns being used by the adults wearing country clothing. The style is graphic and realistic, and it makes no attempt to show the weapons are illegal. In fact it depicts extreme, Illegal and shocking behaviour which risks encouraging precisely the behaviour that Barnardo’s seeks to campaign against.

BASC Director of Communications, Christopher Graffius says:

“This film and the way it portrays people who are clearly involved in lawful sporting shooting, is totally unacceptable. BASC will be making an official complaint to Barnados and if the film is not withdrawn we will be taking this to the Charities Commission. We are also urging our members, and others who support our position to also make their feelings known to Barnados.”

MY REPLY TO BERNADOS

THIS IS A COPY OF MY EMAIL TO THEM.

Whilst always supporting your needs I feel that you should know how disgusted I was when I watched the film clip. I have been a field sportman all my life and a keen shooter.We already get enough bad press coverage and for you to really insult us by making this irresponsible clip is the final straw for me and know doubt many other law abiding shooters.
On shoot days we hold a raffle and half the proceeds go towards your cause. I am sorry to inform you that as of now I will be making donations to other charities who are more greatful and who do not ridicule the innocent and behave in a more sensitive manner.

Be aware that Barnardos may claim to have discussed this with BASC on Friday- in fact they called at 3pm on Friday to say they were launching something and shooting was involved.

We asked what it was and should we be concerned, they said no, just calling us out of courtesy!

First time we saw the video was first thing this morning.

David

What were they thinking? This doesn't seem to me to have any relevance to the reality of child abuse. I'll get my message off to them too.

Horrified but not surprised.
Sadly things like this help prove the notion that all too many charities are staffed by the sort of bleeding-heart lefty who despises the likes of us.

My reply to them was
"I saw the film on your website and was quite upset about its content and context. Why was the term "hunting" used and not "vigilantes" "direct action" or even "gangs"?
You rightly highlight that too many people make sweeping, inaccurate and hurtful generalisations about youth, yet here you are doing the same to hunters, painting us all as little better than paranoid, violent, fascist thugs.
Would it not have been better to show a group of adults behaving in the way they so often accuse youngsters as doing? Dressed in hoodies and packing knives perhaps?
Your demonisation of hunters has offended me, and I am sure, many others.
I will find it hard to support your organisation in future, despite having done so many times in the past at BASC gatherings and the like. I would much rather support a rational, less sensationalist and more responsible charity such a Save the Children and/or The Children's Society from now on.
I hope you think it was worth offending one of your most ardent group of supporters, ie resposible, licensed, CRO-checked and generous outdoor pursuits enthusiasts, just for a bit of cheap sensationalist propaganda.
Yours sadly
T"

Not particularly eloquent or articulate (I don't write for a living thank goodness) but a lot more polite than I would have liked to have sent.

I meant what I said about where any donations I make will go in future, BASC, BDS and CLA event organisers please take note.
G

The latest:

BASC has received an apology from Barnardos over its portrayal of ‘hunters’ in its latest campaign film.

Barnardos says it never intended to offend anyone and has released a statement of apology which will be carried on the BASC website.

Barnardos Director of Communications, Diane Tickell said:

“This film in no way intended to negatively portray legitimate shooting sports or offend BASC or your members and any offence caused is entirely unintentional. The overall aim of our campaign is to highlight that Barnardo’s Believes in Children and in particular highlight our work with children in trouble.”
She added: “This film quotes actual comments left by members of the public on message boards within UK newspaper websites. Barnardo’s think it is unacceptable to talk about children in this manner: words like 'animal', 'feral,' 'vermin' and “shoot a few” used in reference to children. We felt it was necessary to show these words in action to bring home just how prevalent and damaging the use of this language is, hence the use of the hunting imagery. We are using the concept of people shooting as a metaphor to highlight the severe and irresponsible way in which society has begun to demonise children in the UK.”

Barnardos campaign says that there is an unjustified and disturbing intolerance to children in modern society, and that they are being demonised. The British Association for Shooting & Conservation argued that the charity appeared to demonise people who lawfully shoot, in their campaign film, which was not acceptable.

Barnardos says the film will be superseded by a television advertisement campaign, which will begin next week and which will contain no images of hunting or legitimate firearms.

BASC Director of Communications, Christopher Graffius said:

“BASC is reassured that Barnardos did not intend to cause offence and is pleased that an apology has been given to the shooting community.”

I see the volume of compaints made by members of other fora. But well done David and BASC for leading the charge.

David BASC said:
The latest:

BASC has received an apology from Barnardos over its portrayal of ‘hunters’ in its latest campaign film.

Barnardos says the film will be superseded by a television advertisement campaign, which will begin next week and which will contain no images of hunting or legitimate firearms.

That is good to hear, and I'm glad that their response was relatively speedy too. Barnardos are a good cause, and are highlighting very serious issues with their campaign, but it should not be to the detriment of others.

Gez

That film really is disgusting, especially considering the charity fund raising many Shoots carry out every year.

Barnardo's response to BASC is lame to say the least and nothing less than the immediate pulling the film should be acceptable..

I have emailed Barnardo's a stinging email, and highlighted the issue on the European Hunting Forum over on AR.

I suggest that people here who are members of other forums should do like wise.

Have sent a complaint in,

anyone else notice it only seems to be BASC doing anything on this?
where are the other organisations?

I emailed my thoughts to Barnado's this afternoon. I also registered a complaint with the Advertising Standards Agency.

Back