Barnes TSX performance

JH83

Much lower B.Cs??

The death of our sport will be death by 1000 cuts. Why do you think wild justice have it in their manifesto? Because they care about our health, or they know it is incredibly disruptive to shooting. Do you think they’ll abandon that kind of argument post-lead or be straight onto copper, as it is a more toxic material! As a gunsmith are you happy that a large percentage of shotguns will become worthless overnight unless it’s steel proofed?

I can only reiterate my experience. In 17 years of stalking, culling decent numbers I never had a neck shot go wrong until using GMX. 2 drop to shot, only to regain footing and be shot again. Tiny exits, grazing the spine, my 117gn soft points would of killed both without question. I still use monolithics, with great care, but change back to lead where permitted.

I assume you drink alcohol free lager, avoid caffeine, avoid sugar, exercise to the recommended level and generally live exceptionally clean. After all, why knowingly compromise your health?

Ps lovely stag!!

Edinburgh Rifles

Much lower B.Cs??

The death of our sport will be death by 1000 cuts. Why do you think wild justice have it in their manifesto? Because they care about our health, or they know it is incredibly disruptive to shooting. Do you think they’ll abandon that kind of argument post-lead or be straight onto copper, as it is a more toxic material! As a gunsmith are you happy that a large percentage of shotguns will become worthless overnight unless it’s steel proofed?

I can only reiterate my experience. In 17 years of stalking, culling decent numbers I never had a neck shot go wrong until using GMX. 2 drop to shot, only to regain footing and be shot again. Tiny exits, grazing the spine, my 117gn soft points would of killed both without question. I still use monolithics, with great care, but change back to lead where permitted.

I assume you drink alcohol free lager, avoid caffeine, avoid sugar, exercise to the recommended level and generally live exceptionally clean. After all, why knowingly compromise your health?

Ps lovely stag!!

Well I won’t sell GMX
But that’s a different story
They are shite IMO
More problems than solutions
I reiterate my point...not all monolithic bullets are equal.

On neck shots I have missed the spine plenty more times than I care to think about.
Only had a handful that were not dead regardless. Usually incapacitated and dispatched by knife on approach.
Only had a couple that required a second shot that got up
Both with lead
Both with low neck shots against my better judgement.

It’s not about toxicity of material
Toxicity is negated by not having the metal there in the meat in the first place
Monolithic are about maintenance of initial mass
Bullet exits intact but malformed
No metal in meat
No waste
No contamination

Try a different brand
You wouldn’t blame lead if the bullet choice want working

I had terrible experiences with Speer and RWS conepoint bullets
I changed bullets
Problem solved

(FYI I drink and eat like I may not be here tomorrow! Life’s too short!)

Took that yesterday
Was a cracking day

JH83

Fair enough, interesting points. I’ve some TTSX for my new rifle so I’ll see how they go.

The political circumstances around lead ammo is what really grinds my gears, there is a serious anti agenda going on and this forms a small part of it and should be resisted by all shooters.

Hell of a stag, real cracker. Well done.

Last edited:

srvet

Much lower B.Cs??

Ps lovely stag!!
I started using monolithics before my son was born (2002) as I bought a 7mm Rem mag for a bit of fun and wanted to limit meat damage. Since then I have gradually stopped using lead core bullets entirely for stalking in all calibres, though I still use lead for fox and target shooting. The reason why I have changed is nothing to do with toxicity, merely that I find they kill far better than lead bullets across the board. I have never had a runner that has not been found within 20 -30 yards of the shot site which I cannot say for the lead core bullets that I have used. To be frank it is really quite rare that deer run at all. Perhaps the monolithics suit larger calibre projectiles better than the 25s but saying that I do use monolithics in my 6.5 and have seen equally good effect. I have never used GMX so cannot comment, however my experience with Barnes TTSX, the FC England experience with Fox and my friends experience with GS custom bullets have all been excellent. Between those mentioned above there will be several thousand deer of experience. I have heard mixed reviews of some non toxic bullets so I think that not all behave quite the same

JH83

We have a lot of the same friends lol!!

It’s not really the performance issue although I do have some real questions about that, as of yet I’ve to find a load that I’m truly happy with but I’m going to try as sadly I think the tide has well and truly turned against lead and our hands will be forced. My 25 06 is now a 6.5 swede courtesy of a mutual friend and I’m on factory TTSX (that luckily shoots same POI as my SSTs).

It’s the whole ‘it’s bad for you’ line. Yeah maybe it is, but I’m fairly sure there’s lots of other stuff will do me in before the lead

srvet

We have a lot of the same friends lol!!

It’s not really the performance issue although I do have some real questions about that, as of yet I’ve to find a load that I’m truly happy with but I’m going to try as sadly I think the tide has well and truly turned against lead and our hands will be forced. My 25 06 is now a 6.5 swede courtesy of a mutual friend and I’m on factory TTSX (that luckily shoots same POI as my SSTs).

It’s the whole ‘it’s bad for you’ line. Yeah maybe it is, but I’m fairly sure there’s lots of other stuff will do me in before the lead
We possibly do based on your location but I’m struggling to join the dots who you may be, unless I once found a knife you had lost on some syndicate ground (?????). You may be a better detective than me ... hopefully you are.....
I completely agree that there are lots of other things that will do you harm to a greater or lesser extent but unfortunately there is no safe amount of lead to ingest and that is the problem in this risk averse society, much the same as passive smoking which is now considered unacceptable. I also get the thousand cuts thing but this is a prime opportunity to get ahead of the game with minimal effect to our deer stalking activities. For once we can be proactive and promote high quality lead free, free range organic meat for general consumption. One way or the other my suspicion is that lead will become obsolete but at least we do have effective alternatives. I’m not sure how this will affect game shooting as I don’t participate much but I’m pretty sure the more cost sensitive shooters will be able to transition to steel shot and limit the ranges by a few yards whilst the true high bird pheasant prickers will probably be able to afford more pricey alternatives like Bismuth. Incidentally, the few bismuth cartridges I have used over the last 10 years ( about 40 shots) seemed to work really well

Edinburgh Rifles

Which Speer bullets did you have problems with @Edinburgh Rifles? Very curious to know, as I'm having a really good run with BTSP and now Gold Dot.
100gr got core soft points in .270
Lots of runners
One hind that took three shots including two in the chest that should have each done the job on their own.
One of the few examples of a neck shot that didn’t incapacitate.
To be fair I suspect they are not designed to be driven at the velocities I was running but then you don’t or shouldn’t make a 100gr .270 and expect it to be doing 2840fps!!
I would have expected the extra velocity to open them faster and harder but suspect they were not opening as they should

JH83

We possibly do based on your location but I’m struggling to join the dots who you may be, unless I once found a knife you had lost on some syndicate ground (?????). You may be a better detective than me ... hopefully you are.....
I completely agree that there are lots of other things that will do you harm to a greater or lesser extent but unfortunately there is no safe amount of lead to ingest and that is the problem in this risk averse society, much the same as passive smoking which is now considered unacceptable. I also get the thousand cuts thing but this is a prime opportunity to get ahead of the game with minimal effect to our deer stalking activities. For once we can be proactive and promote high quality lead free, free range organic meat for general consumption. One way or the other my suspicion is that lead will become obsolete but at least we do have effective alternatives. I’m not sure how this will affect game shooting as I don’t participate much but I’m pretty sure the more cost sensitive shooters will be able to transition to steel shot and limit the ranges by a few yards whilst the true high bird pheasant prickers will probably be able to afford more pricey alternatives like Bismuth. Incidentally, the few bismuth cartridges I have used over the last 10 years ( about 40 shots) seemed to work really well

Haha you got it!! It just dawned on me too. I still have that knife, it’s my favourite.

I’m not sure. I get exactly what you are saying, I think my opinion has been tainted by some bad results, if the swede performs better with the factory TTSX I may sing a different tune. Game shooting will be a mess for a bit, my Beretta 682 will be immediately worthless, although my suspicion is that it’ll handle less potent steel ok anyway. In any event a lead ban is virtually on us, so it’s a moot point.

ATB

srvet

Haha you got it!! It just dawned on me too. I still have that knife, it’s my favourite.

I’m not sure. I get exactly what you are saying, I think my opinion has been tainted by some bad results, if the swede performs better with the factory TTSX I may sing a different tune. Game shooting will be a mess for a bit, my Beretta 682 will be immediately worthless, although my suspicion is that it’ll handle less potent steel ok anyway. In any event a lead ban is virtually on us, so it’s a moot point.

ATB
Nice one!!

Hopefully the factory will work for you (I assume 120g TTSX) assuming it has not been hog tied by silly low velocities as some 6.5x55 ammo seems to be. Do you reload for it as you should be able to get 3100fps with RS60 with the 100g TTSX and 2900 with the 120g TTSX without too much difficulty. It is velocity that makes these work well.

JH83

Nice one!!

Hopefully the factory will work for you (I assume 120g TTSX) assuming it has not been hog tied by silly low velocities as some 6.5x55 ammo seems to be. Do you reload for it as you should be able to get 3100fps with RS60 with the 100g TTSX and 2900 with the 120g TTSX without too much difficulty. It is velocity that makes these work well.

Not yet it’s my next move. Yes 120 sako rounds. Seem accurate but yet to take a beast, I have a quantity of 140gn SSTs that I use in preference. The box quotes 2850fps, it’s a 26” tube so it should be close. I rebarreled to the swede based on my experience sourcing and killing with 25 06 non toxic, so many more options. I was paying over £50 a box for the GMX.

srvet

If you want to dip your toe into reloading let me know as I’ve got the dues, cases, bullets etc for 6.5x55. You would be welcome to come round and get some ammo loaded without having to shell out £££ for the gear

JH83

If you want to dip your toe into reloading let me know as I’ve got the dues, cases, bullets etc for 6.5x55. You would be welcome to come round and get some ammo loaded without having to shell out £££ for the gear
Thats a lovely offer thank you, I will take you up on it at some point. AM has built me a lovely rifle so I think it deserves a hand developed round. Chat soon.

Shabz

Since they banned shooting geese with lead, I won’t shoot at them. steel shot cartridges just don’t cut it for me.
I shoot a .270 win and used to use 110 vmax for the flat trajectory. They were awful for cutting roe in half. Hellish mess. Then I went onto 130gr soft points which were just as bad. Now I shoot 95gr or 110gr TTSX and they’re fantastic. They barely drop out to 300 yards and kill everything dead on the spot. I think the key with monoliths is that you use light for calibre and push them as fast as they’ll go.