Barnes TTSX - 130 or 150gn for 30-06

Antonyweeks

Hi
Trying to develop a non lead hunting load for my Mauser M03 30-06. Currently use RWS HIT / Evo Green. Read on various forums and threads about the TTSX 130gn being decent for all deer species. Can't get hold of any so have bought a box of 150gn! Anyway, as a newbie to reloading, other than bullet length and weight, what would be your expert views be on the differences between the two bullets? I can find lots of praise for the 130gn bullet but can't find anything much about the 150gn one. I've read that reloading with non lead you have to drop down a weight and push the bullet faster than the lead equivalent, but with all my shooting being under 150yards (occasional bit further out) will there be much of a difference? Using the 'go down a weight' argument, would the 150gn TTSX be more like my 180gn lead tipped bullets that I've used on Sika and Red for instance? Thoughts greatly appreciated as usual..

takbok

For the size of deer we generally shoot in the UK the 150gr will have no advantages over the 130gr.

The 130gr will have a flatter trajectory, higher terminal velocity for better performance, and it will still most likely exit every time.

Border

150 will also work fine in the 06. Before the recent legislation changes here most used 150 grain non lead in both the 308w & 30-06. I am trialling some 150TTSX in my 20" 308w, although I can now legally use the more optimum 130 grain.

Kiwiroger

Hi
Trying to develop a non lead hunting load for my Mauser M03 30-06. Currently use RWS HIT / Evo Green. Read on various forums and threads about the TTSX 130gn being decent for all deer species. Can't get hold of any so have bought a box of 150gn! Anyway, as a newbie to reloading, other than bullet length and weight, what would be your expert views be on the differences between the two bullets? I can find lots of praise for the 130gn bullet but can't find anything much about the 150gn one. I've read that reloading with non lead you have to drop down a weight and push the bullet faster than the lead equivalent, but with all my shooting being under 150yards (occasional bit further out) will there be much of a difference? Using the 'go down a weight' argument, would the 150gn TTSX be more like my 180gn lead tipped bullets that I've used on Sika and Red for instance? Thoughts greatly appreciated as usual..
I've been using Barnes ttsx 150s in my 06 for about 5 years, and can say they work very well on all game I hunt here in NZ, tahr ,Chamois Red stags, pigs ,goats. I get 3035 fps with a 24 inch barrel loaded with AR 2209 / H 4350 , either 130 or 150s will work well but get them going as fast as you can is the secret. The 130s in my 308 are devastating on everything so in an o6 it will be more of a good thing. Good luck. )