Barnes ttsx 30-06 alternative powder

stalker.308

I am looking to load some barnes 165 ttsx in 30-06. Have attached the load data that barnes publish for this round.

as a first stop, I have heard of people using viht n140 with this combination, does anyone have load data for this? I have read that 4064 can be substituted with 140, but I have never done this before and 140 can be a bit fast for a heavy bullet? So ideally looking for published data first. If not, what other easily sourced powders are recommended, north Wales does not have good suppliers of reloading powders etc.

Attachments

• 4637F5AD-CF01-4392-BBDF-CFCDD1551BD6.jpeg
    4637F5AD-CF01-4392-BBDF-CFCDD1551BD6.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 18

andyk

I've loaded Barnes TSX 168gr with N540 and got about 2,850fps from a 22" barrel. I can check my recipe if you're interested?

Scotty99

I think the quickload data looks about right. I load my 30-06 with 51.0 grn of N150 under a 165 grn Gameking with good results.

243varmint

Stalker 308
I've just done a similar thing but with 130gr in my 30-06.
Using N150 and getting good groups and velocity.
If you need any powder give me a shout.
Can get viht and Ramshot.

Border

View attachment 216017

good case fill
100% burn
Good pressure curve
good velocity
perfect powder for that combination
Genuine question.Would you normally load this hot?
I know it's a simulation and the data needs truing but if everything was true, would you load right up to the pressure max or give yourself some leeway?
I have the same QL version as you but normally stop halfway into the mauve band. PS I am not a QL expert 😎

borbal

I am not an expert in QL either, but I do know that solid monolithic bullets have a higher shot start pressure and higher friction than conventional cup-and-core bullets.

In the QL manual (page 66, it always pays to read the manual) it does say that for solid copper bullet the recommended shot start pressure should be increased to around 6500 bar. I see that in the example above, it has been left at 3626 bar which is more appropriate for conventional cup-and-core bullets.

I also know that when I put these numbers into P-Max, I get pretty much the same pressure as QL in the example above, when running it as a cup-and-core bullet, but this jumps up to 69,000 psi when I run it as a monolithic. . . . .

Steff

In the QL manual (page 66, it always pays to read the manual) it does say that for solid copper bullet the recommended shot start pressure should be increased to around 6500 bar. I see that in the example above, it has been left at 3626 bar which is more appropriate for conventional cup-and-core bullets.

I
The default start pressure for this bullet in QL is actually 350 bar (approx. 5600 psi). I suppose it has been changed in the posted example.
If I do the math in QL I get much better results with Ramshot Hunter, just as an example.