Barrel Length

Biathlonjimmy

There must be standard practice for measuring barrel length - can someone tell me what it is.

I'm assuming the barrel includes the chamber so is it from the closed bolt face to the crown? Or is it from the start of the barrel threading (where the barrel meets the action) to the crown?

Thanks, J

NigelM

It's from the face of the closed bolt to the end of the muzzle. I close the bolt, put a cleaning rod down from the muzzle end, touch the bolt face, mark the rod where it exits the muzzle, remove and measure length.

bobjs

It's from the face of the closed bolt to the end of the muzzle. I close the bolt, put a cleaning rod down from the muzzle end, touch the bolt face, mark the rod where it exits the muzzle, remove and measure length.
That is the official way and only way to do it,

:cool:

Bob

EMcC

So the Chamber is actually a Barrel ? ?
I was always under the impression that the Barrel started from the front of the cartridge case so it would be measured as mentioned above minus the length of a cartridge case !

jimmy milnes

I was told it's taken from the point of ignition which I guess is what the others are stating.
Regards
Jimmy

EMcC

A barrel can be bought without restriction but once it is chambered restrictions kick in.
So I would think a barrel and chamber are measured separately, after all, the bullet goes up the barrel -not the chamber !

Biathlonjimmy

So the Chamber is actually a Barrel ? ?
I was always under the impression that the Barrel started from the front of the cartridge case so it would be measured as mentioned above minus the length of a cartridge case !
I did wonder about this but further research suggest that the measurement from the closed bolt face is the standard. When one discusses the length of a shotgun barrel it has always been the total length. No subtraction of 2.5" 2.75" or even 3" depending on what cartridge is loaded.

deeangeo

It's an interesting question which I have asked both Steyr & Blaser. Both responded that the measurement includes the breech/chamber. ATB

RED-DOT

Account Suspended
(2) "Barrel length" means the distance from the bolt face of a closed action down the length of the axis of the bore to the crown of the muzzle, or in the case of a barrel with attachments to the end of any legal device permanently attached to the end of the muzzle.

Sinistral

There must be standard practice for measuring barrel length - can someone tell me what it is. I'm assuming the barrel includes the chamber so is it from the closed bolt face to the crown? Or is it from the start of the barrel threading (where the barrel meets the action) to the crown? Thanks, J
The barrel length is the tube length (including the chamber) i.e. what you have in your hand before screwing it up. The bolt face is usually recessed for the rim & head of the cartridge so the 'barrel tip to bolt-face span' quoted gives a slight error.

You can work out a more accurate exact length by measuring the bit from the barrel tip to the front of the receiver ring, then using the rear 'spike' of a caliper to measure the raceway recess within the receiver (from the rear edge of the receiver to the base of the barrel).

Usually half of the receiver ring is threaded for the barrel. It's 25mm of the 50mm depth on a Tikka ... for instance. This gives the same result to what Tikka advertised for my models, which are still the original length.

Last edited:

MARCBO

Account Suspended
The barrel length is the tube length (including the chamber)

You can work out a more accurate exact length by measuring the bit from the barrel tip to the front of the receiver ring, then using the rear 'spike' of a caliper to measure the raceway recess within the receiver (from the rear edge of the receiver to the base of the barrel).

I do not need more "antagonists" but why would you bother. The real significance is the "legal" definition.

SS