Barrel shortening cost?

Kjm041

Thinking of getting my .22 CZ452 barrel shortened and re screw cut. Any idea how much this should roughly cost? Any one that could be recommended in the SE / Essex area? New territory for me.

Thanks!

JMikeyH

Had mine done without re-proofing for £90, seems to vary massively though and some people will say that re-proofing should not cost you anymore to get done but good luck finding a gunsmith to do that! Set aside £150 if you want it re-proofed and you might only be a little bit over that

Sonicdmb73

You will have to shop around.
Some smiths won’t do it without reproof others will. I think it’s something to do with insurance or guarantee possibly

Kjm041

Thanks folks. Spoke with JR this afternoon. Looks like the way to go. Don’t mind the drive. I may ask around local ones just in case but with the positive reports sounds like a good bet.

FISH BOY

Can I ask, how do you choose where to cut?

Is it case of there looks about right to make it nice and stumpy for the truck or is there serious exact science to it taking into account twist rates and ballistic performance?

palmer_mike

Can I ask, how do you choose where to cut?

Is it case of there looks about right to make it nice and stumpy for the truck or is there serious exact science to it taking into account twist rates and ballistic performance?
Seem to remember reading an article where they experimented on a .22lr by cutting off an inch at a time.
They got down to very short barrel before ballistic performance dropped off.....

Edit link:

Jelen

You will have to shop around.
Some smiths won’t do it without reproof others will. I think it’s something to do with insurance or guarantee possibly
I was told that you don't need reproofing as long you don't sell the rifle. You need to get it proofed when you do eventually sell it.

Sonicdmb73

I was told that you don't need reproofing as long you don't sell the rifle. You need to get it proofed when you do eventually sell it.
Some would argue you don’t need reproofing at all. But yes the law is you can’t sell or offer for sale an out of proof gun. The exception being for RFD’s to RFD’s shotguns to be rebarreled for instance.
However that’s not what I was talking about.
It is the insurance company who the smith has liability insurance with. That is insisting on reproof but I believe it is one company not the other iirc there’s two companies. It’s a while ago but that’s what was said in the gun shop. When that exact point was made

palmer_mike

What authority does this proof counsel have? I'd love to see a change in law from their verdict

Sent from my Armor_6E using Tapatalk
No need for a change in the law, the opinion was sought to clarify the existing law.

Link explains counsels opinions in case anyone needs clarification on them.