BASC Deer Quiz

Beowulf

Here is the new online deer quizz on the BASC website. Question (7).

7) Which of the six species of deer found in the UK originate from India?

a) Chinese water deer
b) Fallow deer
c) Muntjac
d) Sika

The answer apparently is Muntjac?

I thought that our British Muntjac came from China. Indian 'Muntjak' were brought to Woburn but were found to be too aggressive and were culled out.
God I'd hate to think BASC cocked up again! :eek:

Rory putman agrees that they are chinese
damn is there nothing that we import that is not made in taiwan :lol:

Yep they are Reeves Muntjac. Indian Muntjac are bigger and were introduced first by the Duke I believe, before the Reeves Muntjac was introduced. At least thats what I was always led to believe, although I have never bothered to look it up.

Lets face it deer are not BASC strongest point are they. They are more for bird shooters, not that I have a problem with bird shooting, I like it :D but do very little of it these days.

Yes the Indian Muntjak were the first on the Woburn Estate but they were considered rather agressive after an incident where a muntjak killed a couple of the Estates dogs. :eek: So they were all shot. :(

Maybe the Muntjac are just too common for BASC to take much interest in, a bit like most of us! :lol:

Lol Ive just posted similar on the wildfowling site Im a member of and a basc strong hold!! Tin hats on Im going to get pelters :rolleyes:

nutty

Bring it on! The battle field will be awash with cravats and claret! They know sod all! I left school with two 'O' levels Art and Biology, but at least I know the difference between Muntjak and Muntjac. I've got to think of another anagram for BASC.

The fact the whoever put together the quiz for BASC got the answer to one question wrong is a bit inconsequential in the grand scheme of things is'nt it?

Just seems like another excuse for a bit of BASC bashing.

The real issue is...... how many did to you get right???

18 out of 20 right Mudman becaues I have never seen a Formosan Sika's Antlers and the other question was the muntjac one. So 19 out of 20 really! :D

I have emailed BASC about their mistake, I'll keep you posted.

The best book about Muntjac by far in my opinion is by Charles Smith-Jones 'Muntjac Managing an Alien Species'. It should take centre place of any deer stalker/managers book shelf.

Here is a good article about munties by Graham Downing:-

http://www.thefield.co.uk/features/184265/Stalking_muntjac.html

Yes it is BASC bashing, but why not! We as members expect them to fight for our sport. If they are making mistakes then its a 'chink in their armour that anti hunting groups can exploit. :confused:

I will say though that I'm very impressed with BASC's support for 'Help 4 Heroes' and Liz Lambs 'Ladies Shooting Days' which I hope that my wife will attend in the near future. Credit where credit is due. ;)

But to be honest I would have probably got the muntjac question wrong if not forewarned. :p

I slipped up on the question about the first to change over to summer coat.

It's not just the BASC that make mistakes. On the BDS website (one would hope that unlike the BASC, they should know something about deer) the page that gives information on the red deer is in my opinion incorrect in some respects.

This page states:

UK distribution. Native stock common in the Scottish Highlands, Dumfriesshire, Lake District, East Anglia and the south-west of England. Feral stock present in the north of England, north Midlands, East Anglia, the New Forest and Sussex.

I think that this is incorrect with regard to East Anglia. I do not believe that native stock are "common" in East Anglia and may not even exist. By far the vast majority of red deer in East Anglia are feral and originate from "carted" deer left out by the now defunct Norwich Staghounds. These deer came from Warnham, Windsor and other parks and this might account for the size of some of the heads present.

I have pointed this out to the BDS but they seem reluctant to accept their mistake despite not being able to substantiate their own claims.

Well Paul K,
I for one think that you are spot in regards of 'carted deer'. I read in G. Kenneth Whitehead's 'Hunting and Stalking Deer, in Britain through the Ages' something about it.

Sometimes its good for the student to inform the teacher of their own mistakes. :D

Well I am not going to wear my mustard yellow cordroy trousers, brown brogue shoes, and cravat next Saturday at the clay shoot :eek: I would not want to be accussed of looking like a BASC committe member :oops:

Its true that the BDS cocks up occassionaly, but BASC do make more of a habit of it.

Sikamalc you always dress like that anyway! The first time I met you I thought you were Terry Thomas. :lol: "You rotter, you absolute show...er" :lol: ;)

Will you be wearing your St Huberts club tie and blaser. ;)

Back