Batteries

Home Loader

I have a trail camera project which calls for 120 AA batteries, I would like to use rechargeable for obvious reasons.
For those that use alot of batteries which do you have any recommendations please?

StephenToast

Depends how frequently you want to change them.

They aren't cheap so buying a lot of them they might not be an option but I get the best longevity between charges from Eneloop Pro

Tim.243

I have a trail camera project which calls for 120 AA batteries, I would like to use rechargeable for obvious reasons.
For those that use alot of batteries which do you have any recommendations please?
I would run the project on single use battery's for one session then see what happens as 120 x any loss of the units will be twice the kicking.
how many units are you putting out 10 with 12 a unit?

Loki

Hiya

From previous posts and other Forums, the IKEA Ladda rechargable batteries are made in the same factory in Japan as the Panasonic Eneloop - apparently only one factory..............

IKEA Reading didn't have any yesterday :(.

L

victormeldrew

I was under the impression that rechargeable batteries were best avoided for trail cameras. However several of the previous posters obviously use them.

This prompted me to do an on line check & found this (see the 3rd & 4th questions) - every day is a school day :-

Lithium would certainly involve a high initial outlay for the quantities the OP requires.

How do you guys find the life of rechargeables?

v

Grannysmith

F F S did I read that right!
How big is the camera120 batteries has to be a typo:-|
Mind you I have to read my stuff twice cos some a hole keeps changing it!

StephenToast

Hiya

From previous posts and other Forums, the IKEA Ladda rechargable batteries are made in the same factory in Japan as the Panasonic Eneloop - apparently only one factory..............

IKEA Reading didn't have any yesterday :(.

L

Good knowledge!

mealiejimmy

You can change to rechargeable batteries but don't expect a set of rechargeable to last as long or work as well as non rechargeable batteries.
Your trail cam uses 8x AA batteries - that's 12 volts when using non rechargeable batteries and only 9.6 volts when using rechargeable batteries.
Also, good quality non rechargeable batteries have higher capacities than even the best rechargeable batteries
The trail cam will have some minimum voltage below which it will not work - probably somewhere between 8-9 volts
The combination of lower voltage and lower capacity with rechargeable batteries will significantly reduce the length of time for which the trail cam will operate correctly.
Also, if you use rechargeables you'll need chargers - probably one for each trail cam
I'd be buying bulk Duracells like this Industrial Procell AA LR6 Professional Block Alkaline 1.5V Batteries - 100 PACK | eBay
Let's crunch the numbers
A pack of 8 Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries costs £28 PANASONIC ENELOOP RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES AA AAA PRE-CHARGED 950 2500 1900mAh UK | eBay
An 8 slot charger cost about £10
So, for 15 trail cams, your outlay to run them on rechargeables will be about £570
120 Procell duracell non rechargeables will cost £41.50
So, you can fill all the trail cams about 14 times with non rechargeables before it becomes cheaper to use rechargeables - and each fill with non rechargeables will last significantly longer than a fill using rechargeeables.
it comes down to how long your project is likely to last

Cheers

Bruce

Last edited:

Rewulf

My Apeman cams can last a month with 8 poundshop batteries with a few activations of 15 secs of video and one still each activation.
With 100 activations about 2 weeks.