BDS 2016 Deer Distribution Survey

Please can I ask for the assistance of Stalking Directory members?

Every five years the British Deer Society plots the current distribution of all six species of deer found in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Data is collected from various sources, and this year for the first time BDS are engaging with members and the general public via an internet based recording application designed to record all deer sightings. This easy to use programme asks for observer details, the location of deer seen and drop down menu options to record sex and species. An interactive map can be used to move a pin marker to the location of a sighting and a grid reference is automatically recorded within the programme. For those uncertain of a deer species, the programme contains a visual help guide showing various images of the six species of deer. Recording a sighting only takes a moment or two. To participate, just go direct to the survey site - www.bdsdeersurvey.org.uk

The application can be used on any device able to access the internet. The data received will be translated as deer presence in any 10km x 10km grid square and individual locations or properties within these squares will remain strictly confidential.

By comparing results with previous surveys, we are also able to monitor and record changes in distribution. Many organisations, scientists, researchers and students benefit from our information which is widely used and quoted. BDS distribution maps appear in scientific papers, books, other publications and have been used for television programmes. Everyone is asked to help and continue recording all sightings throughout 2016 even if it is felt specific information is already known. Duplication of information is far more valuable than no information.

I do hope that everyone logs a sighting or two as this site has a large, widespread and informed membership which can really make a big difference to the survey. Many thanks in anticipation of your help, and to Sikamalc for allowing me to post this on SD.

Charles Smith-Jones

www.bdsdeersurvey.org.uk

MattJ

Charles,

It appears that the interactive map does not work using Safari (for a Mac user). Chrome seems to be OK.

Thanks Matt - I'll look into this.

N1mrOd - a fair question - precise details (names, addresses, phone numbers etc) are held as confidential under Data Protection, and are only needed to validate the data provided & used by BDS to verify sightings if necessary. Only the final distribution maps are available to the world in general.

Charles

Matt, I can add to this on behalf of Charles. Due to the recent Apple updates IOS10 and Sierra there were some unforeseen changes made which we are actively working on at the moment. We hope to have full service back on all platforms in the coming days.
We wish to thank all users for their patience.
Regards
Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously I can't/won't comment on IoW issues, but can confirm that your data will only reflect in the finalized survey in anonymous 10km x 10km squares! Specific details will not be available to anyone outside the survey team.

Charles

Any particular reason for that Charles, I'm sure that myself & other BDS members on the island would be interested?
I hope that you'll understand that I am here just to promote the survey - and that anyway I personally don't have sufficient knowledge of the IoW situation to offer any informed opinion.

timbrayford

I hope that you'll understand that I am here just to promote the survey - and that anyway I personally don't have sufficient knowledge of the IoW situation to offer any informed opinion.
Charles, the presence of wild deer on the Isle of Wight is something that has gone largely under reported over the past 20 years or more.

The public authorities led apparently by the Forestry Commission are extremely hostile to the presence of wild deer on the island, including the native species which have it would appear borne the brunt of their extermination campaign. This has been extremely costly with the FC admitting in a FOI request to a cost to the taxpayer of nearly £ 2500 per deer culled. This has led to the creation of a vacant ecological niche which non-native Muntjac deer are filling, they are now probably the most numerous deer species on the island.

I hope that this will help you to extend your knowledge of the island's wild deer, any further questions please ask.

atb Tim

Last edited:

N1mr0d

A couple of sightings popped on.

Having spoken to Charles he did completely put my mind at rest that the data would only be going to the statistical team and no-one else

Cyres

I have thought of doing this and could add all my sightings of roe up and down the M5 on my daily commute, alot more vissible this week as the maize is coming off.

However the data will be in the public domain and undoubtable some of the more unscrupulous outfitters may well use to identify hot spots. As somebody previously posted data submitted and then lots of cold calls. I think small recreational stalkers could well loose out so to protect them I wont submit any data relating to the substantian roe numbers I see on my daily rail/car commute.

D

Glyn 1

I have thought of doing this and could add all my sightings of roe up and down the M5 on my daily commute, alot more vissible this week as the maize is coming off.

However the data will be in the public domain and undoubtable some of the more unscrupulous outfitters may well use to identify hot spots. As somebody previously posted data submitted and then lots of cold calls. I think small recreational stalkers could well loose out so to protect them I wont submit any data relating to the substantian roe numbers I see on my daily rail/car commute.

D
I hope those unscrupulos outfitters don't read this post then in case they put their ninja spy hats on and go driving up and down the M5 looking for secret roe populations! Don't tell them your name Pike!

N1mr0d

D

I am assured, and have in writing, that the only data that is going to be in the 'public' domain is the data once it has been collated into 10 square kilometer areas. I have therefore had no problem helping with sightings. Some of them could be easily seen from a road anyway for anyone that has their deer eyes on.

The public data will show only whether a deer species is seen in each 10 square kilometre area not where the specific sightings are.

The 'public' domain includes staff internally within the BDS. Anyone outside of the statistical team will not have access to the specific data.

So an unscrupulous outfitter can know that there are deer within a 10 square kilometer area, any outfitter can easily ascertain that information, unscrupulous or not.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Many thanks to everyone who had recorded sightings so far. If you have any to add, please can you take a few moments and enter them onto the survey? It only takes a few moments!

Many thanks

Charles

As the survey has just a couple of weeks left to run, I thought that I'd give this a final bump as we still need your sightings - especially of species which have only recently been seen somewhere for the first since 2012.

We are also keen to know about reindeer presence, be it semi-wild in the Cairngorms or captive in zoos, farms, collections etc, or even visiting shopping centres in the run up to Christmas.

Just click here to visit the survey site: www.bdsdeersurvey.org.uk

Many thanks, Charles

I just saw this and added a few sightings. It'll be especially interesting to see how deer are spreading into east Sussex and Kent. The likes of muntjac and roe especially.