Bee recovery...

gixer1

I have a wild behive in my garden under a large concrete slab that I intend to break up and remove, it must be a fairly large hive as there were a large number of bees sitting on things around the entrance. They have never been any bother and I don’t want to harm them if possible so could a bee keeper entice them to leave the hive somehow? I know when I start breaking up the concrete it will destroy the hive and probably kill the bees which I want to avoid.

regards,
Gixer

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
Are any bee keepers near you you can ask... it's usually free...

shakey jake

not usual for honey bees to nest under ground, live removal is possible, far bit of work. if they are bumbles the chance of success is alot lower

Mick9abf

I have a wild behive in my garden under a large concrete slab that I intend to break up and remove, it must be a fairly large hive as there were a large number of bees sitting on things around the entrance. They have never been any bother and I don’t want to harm them if possible so could a bee keeper entice them to leave the hive somehow? I know when I start breaking up the concrete it will destroy the hive and probably kill the bees which I want to avoid.

regards,
Gixer
I will message someone who’s partner does bee keeping and is part of some north east group, I’m sure she will have the number of someone who may be able to help. I’ll message him now and PM you anything I get.

jall55

regards,
Gixer
Leave the concrete Gixer

Malxwal

I will message someone who’s partner does bee keeping and is part of some north east group, I’m sure she will have the number of someone who may be able to help. I’ll message him now and PM you anything I get.
Lad Colin down at the junction with the Alford rd or my neighbour both big into the bee groups.

Mick9abf

She said to try some of the numbers on here.

Malxwal

NoIDeer

I doubt they are honey bees in the ground, I guess they could be mining bees or possibly bumble bees. Try and leave them until any activity stops or autumn then dig them out when they have finished doing what bees do. I don't think any bees are protected so it's your choice.

Fadcode

There are quite a few videos on YT relating to this subject, and it's amazing how easy it is to move a swarm of bees, they just catch the Queen, and hoover the rest up, well worth a look.