Before the calling....

Tim.243

Local big shoot start in the week so I target them on the way to his ground as foxes have a route/territory, the cloud cover was good with this bright moon. On foot is more productive also keeps you fit...
I have to park close to a locked gate but it is only 2/3 steps through the hedge so just hang my slip up in the hedge 20 yds in.
These are the old style fields I grew up on rough shooting along decent hedges and deep ditches, know 48 years later a totally different bit of kit to the hammer 20 bore walking with my Dad and a army bag over my shoulder.

A gate way splits 3 fields so with the thermal you can cover a good bit by standing still, bit of a breeze in my face I was calling then took chance to look behind me with the arse of a fox disappearing through the hedge, nipping across to the other gate way the fox has made it 100 plus while I was walking to get set up. Big lump and not his first dance, guessing he was going to move (and he did) I let him move then a soft squeak followed my the .243.

Back to the other gate way a second fox had turned up but not moving just watching, the land has been drilled but not rolled so hard to pick your was making no noise but a few yards at a time gave me the shot I needed.
big dog and a large vixen.

20211016_205924[1].jpg
20211016_205236[1].jpg

Good work! There is something satisfying about still going on foot.

Most of my friends who shoot are too lazy and will only go when there is a ride in a truck! :rolleyes:

Good work! There is something satisfying about still going on foot.

Most of my friends who shoot are too lazy and will only go when there is a ride in a truck! :rolleyes:
thank you, I get the truck bit if you have thousands of acres but come the end of harvest then the land is turned and drilled you are ****ed.
I used to co shoot foxes with chap and his lad, over time I would get out with the sticks and lamp (boy Jack)
to shoot the ones they had been chasing for years bumping around in his wagon.
Jack has his own land and shoots off sticks with a thermal scope.

Last edited:
thank you, I get the truck bit if you have thousands of acres but come the end of harvest ten the land is turned and drilled you are ****ed.
I used to co shoot foxes with chap and his lad, over time I would get out with the sticks and lamp (boy Jack)
to shoot the ones they had been chasing for years bumping around in his wagon.
Jack has his own land and shoots off sticks with a thermal scope.
That's what happens (I use a truck on stubble too) ... But they all stop shooting now its all turned in.... I just take to foot. Even if I see nothing it was at least a nice walk!!

Back