Wanted: Beginner Binos

Alantoo

As good as @Ludders ’ Bushnells may be it will be well worth having a look through and handling a number of models first. Different makes and different sizes. For moving around stalking as opposed to high seat work I found 10x50 too cumbersome. 8x40 are similar brightness but lighter and better for extended walks.

You may find 10x50 ideal. I used my 10x50s stalking for a few years before I went on to 8x40. But there is nothing like getting to a shop or show and doing side by side comparisons to get a feel for the direction you want to go.

Alan

vitalspark

I agree, 7 or 8 x magnification is optimal for stalking.
I would agree also. For a first time buyer it's worth considering a couple of the basics. Lower magnification, say x8, gives a wider field of view, so easier to scan a larger area quickly, and with less 'shake'. If we compare two binoculars e.g. 8x42 vs a 10x42, assuming similar optical coatings and glass quality, the lower magnification binocular will give a brighter image, better low light performance and a better depth of field (meaning less fiddling with the focus). Ideally you want the ratio of objective diameter to magnification to be greater than 5 for low light conditions so in the above example a 10x42 gives a value of 4.2 so doesn't quite cut it in low light.

bfltd0

One thing you may want to bear in mind when choosing binos is what power scope do you use? If you have a 6x scope and use 10x binos, you may find there's a time lag for you brain to adjust to what you are seeing when switching between the two.

I use fixed 6x scopes and 7x42 Swaro porro binos.

Number8

I'm just getting into this and am looking for a decent set of used binos. Not looking for all singing all dancing, but something that will get me through my DSC1 and a couple of years of guided stalking. I imagine whatever I buy now will become a spare pair in the future. (really looking to keep on a budget as am a couple of months away from becoming a first time Dad and I think the wife may stick them where the sun doesn't shine if they are too expensive, sub £100 ideally)

Cheers all!
Did you find something?

Alantoo

bfltd0

Excellent article.

When I can acquire a pair of the delightfully retro looking rubber clad Swarovski Porros to go with my thermal spotter, I know I will have the best of all worlds for my use.

Alan

Says it all really!
Remember they absolutely have to be green.

Then you can pretend to be a Panzer commander while you are out hunting deer!

Kjf

I've arranged to borrow a pair to get me through my DSC1, with a view to getting something a bit further down the line based on the help and advice I've had on here.
There's some vortex for £175 in the optics for sale section on here,

If I didn't already have some bins ,

I'd be buying these, these will be all you will ever need

Kjf

DavyG

There's some vortex for £175 in the optics for sale section on here,

If I didn't already have some bins ,

I'd be buying these, these will be all you will ever need

Kjf
Couldn’t agree more…😜
Seeing as I like to help people starting out…I might do the OP a special deal.
Regards,
DG

Rusty Gate

I'm just getting into this and am looking for a decent set of used binos. Not looking for all singing all dancing, but something that will get me through my DSC1 and a couple of years of guided stalking. I imagine whatever I buy now will become a spare pair in the future. (really looking to keep on a budget as am a couple of months away from becoming a first time Dad and I think the wife may stick them where the sun doesn't shine if they are too expensive, sub £100 ideally)

Cheers all!
Theres a set of Vortex with lifetime warranty on here today 👍 Cannot go wrong