Beginners air rifle

I remember starting with a Relum Tornado, that was a lump of a rifle for a nine year old.
I own both spring and PCP Airgun’s. The Air Arms S400 is the one my kids used my daughter is fairly petite and managed it well. The thing is that you have to have something accurate enough to keep interest (soon get bored if you keep missing).
That said I have a HW77 that is accurate and bonus is no dive bottle etc, tin of pellets and away you go.
Calibre wise I will just say they don’t make the range of target pellets in .22. In .177 you can get them in different skirt sizes to find the most accurate and the choice is much wider.

I got a brockock contour for the kids its really small light and compact. It puts out about 8.5 Ft/lbs. I use it myself for shooting rats in the chicken coup and it works perfectly. I got the single shot but I believe you can get one with a rotory mag. I was also considering the BSA ultra as this is also a nice compact rifle, they also do an ultra with a scaled down stock and 6 Ft/lbs for younger kids.

Spring or PCP
Hw 99 seems a good bet for a first spring rifle
Or the CZ S200 an excellent light compact pcp both can be picked up for sensible money
Excellent advice there, either one of those would be a very good choice, obviously the 99 is a self contained Springer and as such requires no pumps or divers bottle, and does have a bit of recoil, and has the benefit of excellent open sights, which I much prefer to a scope when teaching a youngster to shoot, you can always add a scope later, hope you're daughter gets the shooting bug sir

get a HK springer, german engineering, cant go wrong, .22 and it will teach her about the trajectory and bullet fall, at least when she will miss, she will know its her , not a cheap crap weapon. good luck

Both spring or PCP will do but look at it a different way. Do you need one for your shooting? I have a PCP Air Arms s410, in 22 it great for rabbits and feral pigeons, almost silent. I found springers to be a bit more noise.

if it was me, I would go with a PCP, light weight and accurate.

A quality spring air rifle is just as accurate as a PCP, it's the technique required to shoot one accurately that is required, personally I would not teach a youngster to shoot with a PCP, get them to master accurate shooting with a recoiling rifle, and by all means move to a PCP later, the trouble with modern PCP air rifles is, they are too bloody easy to shoot, and don't teach a begginer much about correct hold and follow through

I remember buying a weirauch .177 springer for my son, 20 years ago. It was light weight , smaller frame and accurate as anything! Cost about £100 quid then, perfect for a starter rifle. Sold it to a shooting school. Can’t remember the model number...could it be the HW 30??

Yes, the HW 30 is a low power,ideal starter rifle, a baby brother if you like to the 99, they can all be made to shoot super smooth with very little recoil with a bit of a polish and correct lube, ands some delrin bits inside

My uncle has a bsa s10 he wants rid of, only problem being it will probably need a service for o rings etc as he's not used it in years. Was a good rifle and accurate when he did use it. If this is of any interest just drop me a line

The rifle would be purely for my daughters first really go at shooting , I don’t think she is ready to kill anything yet , she calls me bambi killer as it 😂😂

The rifle would be purely for my daughters first really go at shooting , I don’t think she is ready to kill anything yet , she calls me bambi killer as it 😂😂
Have you tried pointing out that Bambi is not even the same breed as the deer we have here?
Or is she like my daughter and loves taking the Michael out of Dad.

As we all did ,

Start with a 2nd hand springer ( doesn't matter what make )

Get her to learn the basics ( and show her how to cock it safely, finger off trigger etc etc etc)

This will put the basics into that eggshell like mind. Ie it's a gun ( be carefull)

The rest will come as a development , and make a great safe , confident person in using a firearm

Wether it's a gat gun or 308,

Progression comes with experience,

Let her work up to the future task in hand

I wish her well on her jouney

Kjf

I have a Daystate Harrier PCP here that is not getting much use. It's a fine rifle to teach shooting with and a fill seems to last ages. It's a beautiful piece of engineering, easy to use and superbly accurate. I'm less than an hour away - you're very welcome to come and have a look/try with your daughter without obligation. My nephew and niece may initially be disappointed when they next come to stay, before they realise there are other things to shoot with!

Do feel free to drop me a PM with mobile and/or e-mail and I can give you more details.

Have you tried pointing out that Bambi is not even the same breed as the deer we have here?
Or is she like my daughter and loves taking the Michael out of Dad.
That depends if you are reading the book or watching the Disney film. In the book I believe Bambi is a Roe deer.

That depends if you are reading the book or watching the Disney film. In the book I believe Bambi is a Roe deer.
I wasn’t aware it was, but a quick google and yes it appears so.
For crying out loud don’t tell my daughter :stir: is sure to follow. Not that she has any problem with shooting or eating venison. She just enjoys winding me up :lol::lol::rofl:

Back