Beginners thermal spotter

cooperjb1308

Hi there, looking at getting a thermal spotter that doesn't break the bank, I know that you can really see the difference with some of the more expensive units as I have used a pulsar XQ38 Helion for foxes before and it was an amazing piece of kit but it's out of the price range really.
My question is, can something like the pulsar Xm22 key or any of the competitors units spot foxes out to 300 meters or is that pushing it a bit.

Freeforester

Hi there, looking at getting a thermal spotter that doesn't break the bank, I know that you can really see the difference with some of the more expensive units as I have used a pulsar XQ38 Helion for foxes before and it was an amazing piece of kit but it's out of the price range really.
My question is, can something like the pulsar Xm22 key or any of the competitors units spot foxes out to 300 meters or is that pushing it a bit.

Might you consider a used Quantum xq38 within your budget? Same sensor as Helion, good saving for a dependable unit. I have two, and am considering selling one of them, so pm me if of interest. As a professional user, I rate the size, form and versatility of the Quantum unit, which isn’t so much larger or heavier than the axion xq38, imo.

Or if you want a new unit with 3 year warranty, the Axion Key XM30 has a great detection range for its price being 30mm and with the crop 320 , 12 micron sensor if has much more legs than everything else at its price point... Fold the eyecup back on itself and the viewing is much more pleasant. plus they are a super tiny magnesium alloy unit with replaceable battery...

Last edited:

sir-lamp-alot

As already said by nick703 your are close to getting a xq38f which is what you really want, but a close 2nd best for me would be a 2nd hand xm30s (the none key model) and there really isnt a lot in them as ive had both side by side and you should be able to find one for under £1200

cooperjb1308

Yeah I like to walk around after old Charlie so a massive range isn't desperate especially as I shoot the ground I farm so often know where they are feeding.

Jimbob39

I’ve just got an axion xq38. Mate has the helion 38 and we compared the other night. We could see just as far and clearly with mine. Prefer the smaller unit size and the screen was super crisp. having used the xm30s I can say the xq38 knocks spots off it at Longer ranges.

Mike_E

We currently have a decent stock of XM30S and XQ38's as well as HIK 19, 25 and 35's - please PM for prices.
Cheers
C
just bought a XQ38 from Colin at Grampian Guns - great price and even delivered by hand! Can't ask for more than that. Top service. I've currently got a XM22, XM30s and a XQ38 here so I will do a write up/comparison over the next few days to help some folk out as that question comes up a lot.

Cheers
Mike

remmy700

just bought a XQ38 from Colin at Grampian Guns - great price and even delivered by hand! Can't ask for more than that. Top service. I've currently got a XM22, XM30s and a XQ38 here so I will do a write up/comparison over the next few days to help some folk out as that question comes up a lot.

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike
Great meeting you to hand over your new Pulsar XQ38.
I’m sure it will serve you well and help bring in plenty venison for your BBQ’s 😀👍🏼
Many thanks for your business much appreciated - Colin Grampian Guns