Belgians restrict halal

Woodsmoke

Then of course there was this case

'Pork in halal' meat supplier named
This reminds me of a tale my American friend told me. He has a semi-commercial kitchen and vac-packed a stack of BBQ pork ribs to send out to his son and the rest of his squad in Afghanistan. The US Post Office told him it was prohibited to send pork products out to the troops to avoid offending the locals . . . . . .outrageous, hey?

His response? He simply re-labelled them as chicken and sent them anyway. I really enjoy the mental image of a squad of hard-ass marines sitting in some wadi munching on pork ribs and chucking the bones over their shoulders :lol::lol:

landkeeper

Now people please can someone enlighten me with this txt speak!
Lol. Laugh out loud.
IMHO. In my humble opinion. Etc etc...

Now Halal? Is it, Have a laugh all layabouts. You see I’m old and this kind of grammar is over my head. I’m going to report this thread to the “let’s speak real English society.” Or should that be, LSRES.
RS
ROTFLMAO

Hornet 6

I just sat and typed out what I really feel about Halal slaughter, and realised it would probably get me banned from here. :mad:
So perhaps it would be more socially aceptable to just evict all muslims and jews from our country, so removing the need for this inhumane form of slaughter.

Neil.

The fourth Horseman

When I was a kid most small aimals were killed that way. Held up by the legs....if it was a lamb it'd be by the man himself...and the throat cut. This wasn't Pakistan, nor Algeria but rural Lincolnshire. Where every village butcher killed his own animals. So once mostly all small animals were killed like that and the larger ones with a poleaxe and the throat then slit to bleed it out.
Blimey didn't realise you were that old to remember a poleaxe. In most Warwks village butchers there wouldn't be room to swing one. Our butcher used a .32 humane killer, blue caps for small red for large ie sheep, cattle. When we killed our own pigs itwas lump hammer or .410 and then knife.

countrryboy

I know when i was working in the shearing sheds in OZ not that long ago (well 20 years now:old:) thats how we slaughtered out tea.

CarlW

I just sat and typed out what I really feel about Halal slaughter, and realised it would probably get me banned from here. :mad:
So perhaps it would be more socially aceptable to just evict all muslims and jews from our country, so removing the need for this inhumane form of slaughter.

Neil.
I can't agree with your eviction point as I have many friends who are either Jews or Muslims. However, these methods of slaughter greatly upset me too and I would support a ban in a heartbeat.

Kind regards,

Carl

enfieldspares

Poleaxes? Oh yes. If a thing worked well in Lincolnshire they didn't change it. Also you can see them being used, from the car, at Karo Market, crossing the Ogun River on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. Grandstand seat that is! A Director's Box view.

When they did a pig in my Grandmother's village, there used to be a local woman in the village who would come and scrape it and joint it, or as they called it "put it out of the way" and get I think the blood and some other offal as her consideration.

The Gordon Highlanders in WWII painted a Union Jack on a pig of my Grandmother's. And stole one of her dogs. She 'phoned up the Colonel about that "Your soldiers have got my Scottie!" And the RSM brought it back led on a piece of string.

Last edited:

teabag_46

Ironically (and so far unmentioned), the Jewish and Muslim communities, who profess to hate each other,
are now collaborating against the law-makers in order to not have their religious rights infringed!

The enemy of my normal enemy is now my enemy

Roro

No religion should be pandered to or given special consideration to be exempt from the laws the rest of us have to follow. But governments are too afraid to upset these people.

Reactions: JTO

JTO

A lot of these 'religious' traditions and rules often turn out to have a scientific reason.
Cervical cancer has a very low incidence in women who have circumcised partners, for instance.
What did the ancients know that we are now only just learning about, thousands of years later?

Heym SR20

A key part of Kosha or Hallal, or for that matter slaughter as described in the Christian bible is that the animal has to be healthy at time of slaughter and should suffer no pain nor be in fear and stress. Now given that these instructions where written a few thousand years ago, when the best available technology was a very sharp knife, that is what the instrument of slaughter is prescribed as.

Hallal and Kosher slaughter should not put any stress on the animal otherwise its not Kosher or Hallal.

As a society I think we really to have to reconsider our food chain. I have been around large industrial slaughter houses and they really are no pleasant. The whole taking animals t a market, then off to the other end of the country, or indeed overseas is to my mind not particularly humane, or for that matter efficient - and an argument over whether stunning prior to slitting the throat doens't address the much wider welfare challenges of industrial abbattoirs.

The old system of local butchers slaughtering animals from local farms is much better. Indeed best of all is on farm, or as we do with deer.

BryanDC

No religion should be pandered to or given special consideration to be exempt from the laws the rest of us have to follow. But governments are too afraid to upset these people.
That's something I can agree on. Lets start with schools. No Jewish schools, no Church of England schools, no Catholic schools and no Islamic schools. Everyone tought about one another and to respect each other.

Chasey

Whilst I am deeply offended by comments like "if you dont like it get out of the country" which of course just assumes they are all recent immigrants whish is of course rubbish.

I am equally anti ANY religion or doctrine that doesent move with the times. Like CAFOD for example telling Africans with a HIV epidemic that contraception is against the will of god

Perhaps we should tell all Catholics with their stupid rules to fec off to another country?

No I am against Halal and the Cosha Bethdin, because its totally unnessary in our present time

Obviously Halal was all about heygeen in its day but that day has long passed and the Church needs to grow with the times so I am glad this has happened

What I am not glad about is that point not being emphasised and instead it just being allowed to be perceived as an act of bigotry

The fact is may religious traditions have had to give way to the modern times across many religions and the Muslims and Jews are not an should not be exempt from being dragged kicking and screamening into the modern world.

Chasey

That's something I can agree on. Lets start with schools. No Jewish schools, no Church of England schools, no Catholic schools and no Islamic schools. Everyone tought about one another and to respect each other.
I totally agree but then I believe God is merely Santa Claws for grown ups and anyone who believes in him / her or it, in ANY guise, has "issues" :D

landkeeper

A key part of Kosha or Hallal, or for that matter slaughter as described in the Christian bible is that the animal has to be healthy at time of slaughter and should suffer no pain nor be in fear and stress. Now given that these instructions where written a few thousand years ago, when the best available technology was a very sharp knife, that is what the instrument of slaughter is prescribed as.

Hallal and Kosher slaughter should not put any stress on the animal otherwise its not Kosher or Hallal.

As a society I think we really to have to reconsider our food chain. I have been around large industrial slaughter houses and they really are no pleasant. The whole taking animals t a market, then off to the other end of the country, or indeed overseas is to my mind not particularly humane, or for that matter efficient - and an argument over whether stunning prior to slitting the throat doens't address the much wider welfare challenges of industrial abbattoirs.

The old system of local butchers slaughtering animals from local farms is much better. Indeed best of all is on farm, or as we do with deer.
Well the demise of most if not all small local butchers slaughterhouses was brought about bythe EU and regulations legislating them out of buisness because the demands placed by regs were just too costly

fallow me

I had an asian chap once ask me if i could supply him with a munty, and would it be Halal,told him i said a prayer just before i pulled the trigger and another once i saw the munty drop, apparently that doesn't count