Best .243 bullet for roe/chami

CoopT

Hi all,

Have recently purchased a rifle chambered in .243 and am now thinking of the bullet to choose for stalking roe, and maybe for the occasional chami. I’ve heard good things about RWS’ KS in 96grs as well as Norma’s Oryx in 100grs. Do you have experience with these? Or any other that you’d recommend ?

Thanks!

CoopT

No idea. Are you saying that it’s a case of trying different bullets and see what the rifle likes best?

sh1kar

My trip to Macedonia a few years back I shot Chamois, Mouflon, Fallow and Boar with a .243 Sako 75 with RWS 100gr Tmantel. Consistently accurate and terminal ballistics worked well for me. All one shot kills

S

CoopT

My trip to Macedonia a few years back I shot Chamois, Mouflon, Fallow and Boar with a .243 Sako 75 with RWS 100gr Tmantel. Consistently accurate and terminal ballistics worked well for me. All one shot kills

S
Wow I didn’t realise you could target mouflon and boar too with a .243!! I was always told they are just too « thick » to get any real knock down from that calibre…. Go figure!

308tikka

No idea. Are you saying that it’s a case of trying different bullets and see what the rifle likes best?
Stability is a function of velocity and spin rate imparted by rifle twist....

Look for free stability calculators online.

you can measure twist rate (approximately) by pushing a cleaning rod with a piece of tape on it with tight patch through bore.
Or if factory barrel, refer to manufacturer.

sh1kar

Wow I didn’t realise you could target mouflon and boar too with a .243!! I was always told they are just too « thick » to get any real knock down from that calibre…. Go figure!
Mouflon not much bigger than Chamois. Good HL shot is fine. Boar was off a bipod in the head. Wouldn’t risk HL with small calibre
S

tusker

I dropped a big Oryx in Namibia with my 243 , Sierra Gameking 85 grn. 190 yards. nailed it just behind the ear.
The 243 is much maligned but it is the most accurate rifle in my cabinet. The biggest Red Stag I ever shot was with 243 in Devon.
Tusker

Outandabout-goneshooting

My ruger m77 loves the 100 grain norma oryx's. They seem to consistantly group well no matter the temperature or humidity. Never had an issue with knock down even on large fallow. Never tried them on red deer though.