Best all round .308 bullet for <130 yd all species deer.

Shootist

I'm looking for recommendations for an all round bullet to hand load for use with a .308 22" barrel 1-10 twist. It is unlikely that I will be shooting at distances much in excess of 120 yards. Primary requirement is accuracy, if that's not obvious. I am currently reloading with 150 grain SST but a recent thread has given me pause for thought. I also find 155 grain A-Max very accurate, better than the SST. Ideally I'd like something good on all deer species, depending what is encountered at the time. I do have a .223 for use if I'm looking specifically at small species, but if a small species comes into my sights at the right time I'd like to have something left other than it's horns. All advice (on topic) appreciated.

stubear

I do hear good things about the 150gr Nosler Partition - I'm planning to start home loading later in the year (post wedding!!) and that will be the first head I try in my rifle.

Woodsmoke

All kidding aside, if all your shooting is going to be sub-130 yard at deer, why the need for such accuracy? MOA will be more than adequate for all species at that range, surely

Jagare

I do hear good things about the 150gr Nosler Partition - I'm planning to start home loading later in the year (post wedding!!) and that will be the first head I try in my rifle.
Years ago i loaded some 150grn Nosler partitions for a mate who was here hunting moose. They shot really well and he killed a big bull moose with them. I've still got some laying about somewhere.

I load 165 Norma Oryx and they shoot sub inch in my Mauser M03 and they same in my Heym falling block. I sighted in the Heym last weekend ready for my upcoming stalking trip to the UK in a few weeks. Will be trying for five of the six deer species in a two week long trip using a single shot rifle.

Mitscavitch

+ 1 for Seirra Pro Hunter 150 grain.

All about shot placement as ever but limited damage to roe if shot correctly

I. Farticus

Go up a weight to 165gr. Heavy and slow will put anything down, just get to the range, zero 2" high and you'll not have to worry about range out to 230yds

Sako308

Barnes 130gr TTSX (with Varget) works great for me, very accurate and effective on Red and Roe with no excessive meat damage.

Vipa

Go up a weight to 165gr. Heavy and slow will put anything down, just get to the range, zero 2" high and you'll not have to worry about range out to 230yds
+1 I'm a convert to the 'heavy for calibre' club... run 156gn through my 6.5x55 and was running 165s when I had my 308.. wish I'd moved to 180s!!.. minimal meat damage, absolutely devastating terminal performance at any stalking range.
Don't listen to all the naysayers going on about loopy trajectories.. just requires a sensible approach!

Cooter

I use sierra 2120 with N133 in a bog standard Howa 1500 sporter.

Main deer on my ground are Roe, Munties and CWD, but have used them on everything else as well.
Very accurate, expand well and hold together.
Minimal meat damage even through the shoulders.

Southern

Hornady .308 RN 150-gr flat base is made for just this, in the .300 Savage. Works like a charm on deer, bear, elk, moose, boar...

Raamsay

I have used Privi a Partisan, SP factory ammo for some years on a 60 year old No4, bullets go where they are aimed, used Federal before and could not detect a difference worth the extra cost. My top tip - buy 2 or 3 varieties and head for the range for testing, and hope that the best bullet turns out yo be the cheapest or one you can easily replicate.

Good shooting