Best all-year AT tyre.

Full set of Yokohama Geolander GO15s going on tomorrow then 30 miles of tarmac to work and a nice slimy, and steep, field to drive over after a weekend of solid rain. Hoping it will be £460 well spent.

I'll be very interested to see how you get on with the GO15s as I believe they have replaced the GO12s I had and are said to be "better" but what better means I don't know and maybe they can't be better at everything. However I might be looking for new tyres soon enough and am unlikely to go with BFGs again so I'm looking for options.

I will keep you posted. They'll be properly scrubbed in by the end of the week and they'll have seen a bit of terrain.

I don't know where your driving but BFG AT are some of the noisiest tyres out there. When im out in the fields up here I don't notice cars in the distance, I do notice them if fitted with these tyres! often it sounds as though the bearing are dropping out!. Likewise I had them on my Trooper, when I exchanged them for GGrabber at1s it was like a breath of fresh air. When I was going on my trek from here to Russia I had them fitted because they were suggested by tyre fitters for doing what I was up to, as already stated they delaminated on the autobahn. all four replav
replaced with Continental tyres, no noise and no dangerous delaminating.
We must be talking about different tires. My rig came form the factory with Continental tires, they were great but were touring tires. I switched to the BFG AT and did not notice any increased noise. The tires I get are the best tires I have ever ran and Iv'e been driving for 41 years. Snow, muck, and highway, excellent. Attached is the tire I'm talking about, are we talking about the same tire?

We are talking about the same tyre: here is the mandatory eu lable; B.F. GOODRICH All Terrain T/A KO2 235/75R15 104S | ORGI 6 and here is the same lable for continental AT 121645tyre Now before you say its only a couple of decibels, we have to remember that its not so simple: Copied of the net.
Decibels (dB)
The ear has the remarkable ability to handle an enormous range of sound levels. In order to express levels of sound meaningfully in numbers that are more manageable, a logarithmic scale is used, rather than a linear one. This scale is the decibel scale.
What is a decibel? Zero decibels (0 dB) is the quietest sound audible to a healthy human ear. From there, every increase of 3 dB represents a doubling of sound intensity, or acoustic power.

Last edited:
We must be talking about different tires. My rig came form the factory with Continental tires, they were great but were touring tires. I switched to the BFG AT and did not notice any increased noise. The tires I get are the best tires I have ever ran and Iv'e been driving for 41 years. Snow, muck, and highway, excellent. Attached is the tire I'm talking about, are we talking about the same tire?
yes,,,noisy, slick, too hard compound, bad fuel consumption, notoriously heavy, don't really handle mud well, snow well, or ice well..or tarmac well..

all in all, IMHO, look good and trade on their name,,but performance wise, just ain't there and then some....whilst they're on my car now, they won't be there when time comes for a new set of rubbers.

Had a set of BFG s on the last pickup lasted well good all round off road tyre , when it came to replacement on my present pickup i fit a set of Cooper AT3 s , never again ,not very good off road or on and showing signs of wear far earlier than the BFG s

Prior to getting the CRV (and AT3’s), I had geolanders on my old Forester - well mannered on the road, decent depth and tread pattern / fuel economy and excellent off-road - although low range 4x4 in the Forester is hard to beat unless it’s serious off-road.

yes,,,noisy, slick, too hard compound, bad fuel consumption, notoriously heavy, don't really handle mud well, snow well, or ice well..or tarmac well..

all in all, IMHO, look good and trade on their name,,but performance wise, just ain't there and then some....whilst they're on my car now, they won't be there when time comes for a new set of rubbers.
You guys must be getting something different than what we have. My truck is rated at 18 MPG on the highway, running the BFGs I get 18.34 MPG. I also was driving on some steep hills in the snow today and I was amazed at how well my tires performed even though they are at the end of their life. My experience is 100% opposite of yours. Got to be two different tires were talking about.

That's amazing. Cant understand why so different on my rig. .
We are talking about the same tyre: here is the mandatory eu lable; B.F. GOODRICH All Terrain T/A KO2 235/75R15 104S | ORGI 6 and here is the same lable for continental AT View attachment 121645tyre Now before you say its only a couple of decibels, we have to remember that its not so simple: Copied of the net.
Decibels (dB)
The ear has the remarkable ability to handle an enormous range of sound levels. In order to express levels of sound meaningfully in numbers that are more manageable, a logarithmic scale is used, rather than a linear one. This scale is the decibel scale.
What is a decibel? Zero decibels (0 dB) is the quietest sound audible to a healthy human ear. From there, every increase of 3 dB represents a doubling of sound intensity, or acoustic power.

I have a friend who has them on his Hilux, he drives the 750 miles up to here to visit and has no problems and also says he doesn't know what people are talking about. His wife hates the truck, gets out with a headache because of the noise! and she refuses to drive it as she claims its a death trap, not sticking to the road. I must depend on driver etc.

It is subjective. I hate my roof rails. They make a droning noise at about 50 mph that goes through my head like a dentists drill. I keep a T-bar screwdriver in the car and when I've done carrying something on the roof they come straight off. Yet other people don't notice them.

If there's something clattering in the back I have to pull over and rearrange it and a car with a squeak or a rattle behind the dash needs scrapping.

This is so interesting!
Are you US based? I bet the US and Europe bfg’s Are made in different places and probably uses different quality compound ingredients. The European ones are probably made in China and packaged elsewhere so they can claim ‘made’ in a civilised country..

Are you US based? I bet the US and Europe bfg’s Are made in different places and probably uses different quality compound ingredients. The European ones are probably made in China and packaged elsewhere so they can claim ‘made’ in a civilised country..
Yes, I am in the US. My tires are made in Ohio, I think.

Yes, I am in the US. My tires are made in Ohio, I think.
yeah, I seriously doubt the european offerings are shipped over from the US...bet we're (across the pond) are getting a cheap knock-off of the US quality. Today I drove my SUV on a bit of icy road, literally just touching frost, nothing serious, and as soon as I touched the brakes it just went sliding sideways, complete lack of any grip, worse than my wife's volvo on cheap Avon winter tyres which are low profile sporting tyres!!!

I'm guessing country of production is the key in experience differences here..bit like beer..all 'european' beer in the UK is brewed in Southampton,,tastes like crap and has no resemblance to their original recipes..same as Coke, same as Marlboro's..not that Marlboro's are any better in the US they're still shite..now Danish Prince cigarettes, that's quality stuff! and Tuborg and Carlsberg of course..but buy Tuborg or Carlsberg in the UK and it's like having sex in a boat,,,f*ing close to water!...like budweiser of course ;)

Well the full set of Geolander GO15s went on this morning. They didn't get much of a test today in the dry but it was immediately apparent that road manners have been significantly improved. The Yokohamas are quieter and smoother than the Grabber AT1's, the ride quailty is better, the steering has lightened and become more responsive and I swear the brakes have a touch more bite as well - which would makes sense if the tyres are lighter.
Hopefully all that will translate into better fuel economy. I'll soon know. All my mileage and fuel is logged,

Can't say yet what they're going to be like off road but they look a lot less aggressive on the car than they do in the pictures. Scarcely like an AT tyre at all; more like a winter road tyre. The side wall lugs look pretty token but hopefully they'll be good enough for what I need. Soon find out when the rain comes back.

I was in a similar predicament recently. I run my Landy on BFG's I just cannot fault them, however wanted tyres for my wife’s Yeti and felt that BFG's were a bit too aggressive, ended up with Geolandar GO15's so far very pleased with them

Put a couple of tankfuls through the car since the tyres went on. On the same journey every day, my fuel consumption has gone from 32.16 mpg with the Grabber AT1s to 35.7 mpg with the Geolanders. Overall I'm happy with that for a car that's in permanent 4WD.

Straight line traction on wet and slimy fields is better than the Grabbers. Sideways grip seems better too. ABS has yet to activate on wet roads either, which it used to do for a pastime with the Grabbers. If the mileage is half decent I'll buy these tyres again.

Back