Best barrels in the World

Bartlein, Krieger, Lija, Shillen? Go a bit left field and I would like to try a Carbon wrapped Hardy. Some would swear that a good old Border/Sassen is up there with the best. I have a couple of Pac Nor super match grade barrels which are tack drivers.

When you get to that sort of league I think it's more about bullet selection and load development than minuscule differences in the barrels.

Bartlein, Krieger, Lija, Shillen? Go a bit left field and I would like to try a Carbon wrapped Hardy. Some would swear that a good old Border/Sassen is up there with the best. I have a couple of Pac Nor super match grade barrels which are tack drivers.

When you get to that sort of league I think it's more about bullet selection and load development than minuscule differences in the barrels.
Thank NigelM interesting what you say and I agree with all of them. Would you include Lother Walther in the above? Do we think that Border/Sassen is still proving itself in its new incarnation in comparison to some other longer established brands?

I have owned a few over the years including Border (cut rifled x 2 ), GB barrels, Shilen, Lothar Walther and Bartlein. My favourite of them all is a 1 in 8.25 in twist 6.5mm Bartlein. You can specify the rate of twist you want to a decimal point should you wish! They also have some some interesting options such as gain twist where the twist rate increases as the bullet travels down the bore. I have not (yet) owned a Sassen but would be happy to do so. All shoot far better than I can. This I attribute to the skill of my riflesmith (Ronin)

Thank NigelM interesting what you say and I agree with all of them. Would you include Lother Walther in the above? Do we think that Border/Sassen is still proving itself in its new incarnation in comparison to some other longer established brands?

I used a Sassen on my new 22 BR and was very impressed with it. Also had a 300WM made and it shoots very well. Certainly not been disappointed by them. And why shouldn't we support a young up and coming British brand if they are pretty much on the pace.

Not tried LW so can't comment.

I used a Sassen on my new 22 BR and was very impressed with it. Also had a 300WM made and it shoots very well. Certainly not been disappointed by them. And why shouldn't we support a young up and coming British brand if they are pretty much on the pace.

Not tried LW so can't comment.

Totally agree in supporting the British barrel makers. I have to say that although my sons GB barrel took a bit to settle it is now showing stunning accuracy ( 0.4in) for a lightweight rifle in a useful stalking calibre (.308)

Watneys Red. Their barrels were very popular in the 60's. Tasted like **** though.
Now you are drinking Swedish grenade beer? When I was over there in Gothenberg that was the nickname we had for the starkoel, when you tasted it you would throw it away at once like an armed grenade and grimace at the taste.

I have 2x Rossler Titan rifles. Can't complain about the barrels in either but then they source there barrels from

Barrels for RWS-Rossler Titan 6 rifles

Maker
Barrel
Calibres
Wilson Arms

Button rifled steel
7mm Rem Mag, .308,
.270 , .25-06
Button rifled stainless
.25-06, .308, .270

Heym
Hammer-forged
.243, .30-06, 7mm Rem
stainless
Mag, .300 Win Mag, .300
WSM, .270 WSM, .222
Rem, .223 Rem, .22-250,
6.5x55, 6.5x284, 7mm-08,
.338 Win Mag

Merkel

Hammer-forged steel
.243, 6.5x55, 6.5x57,
6.5x65 RWS, 6.5x68, 7x64,
7mm-08, .30-06, 8x57 IS,
9.3x62, .300 Win Mag,
8x68S, .300 WSM, .270
WSM, .338 Win Mag,
6.5x284, .222 Rem, .223
Rem, 5.6x50 Mag, .22-250

Last edited:
Its interesting, a similar conversation could go along the lines of:

Who makes the best tyres? Michelin, Good Year, Pirelli?

pretty sure when you get amongst the top end of makers it is a struggle to say which is "best" and an awful lot comes down to the user and the rest of the components and machining to fit it.

Without a bore scope (and arguably WITH) who would actually be able to tell the difference between:
A single point cut vs Broached cut vs a button rifled barrel?
argue the merits of 6r, 5r, 4r, 3r
a Metford vs Enfield vs Polygonal vs Obermeyer vs Ratchet rifling
lapped not lapped
various grades of steel?
gain twist,
taper/squeeze bore!?

Back