Best Boots

baz2770

Just got soaked out in the field my boots have just about had it they have served me well any ideas on new water proof ones please upto around £150

My Lundhags are now around 12 years old...... and still waterproof ;)
New they'd be outside your budget so either up it a bit or look for some good secondhand ones might be an idea.

Right now I am using a pair of German special forces boots. Had them for a few years with no issues. No goretex etc but double leather uppers which I treat with wax occasionally. Waterproof, comfortable and, as you would expect, very robust. Best bit is they only cost around £60 so you could have two pairs !

If you go for surplus boots, and you’re not fussy about colour-try black. Since the military stopped using black boots prices have dropped. Danner/Matterhorns are really good for winter wear.

I have a pair of Haix cold/wet weather milsurps at the moment, cost £60. Together with gaiters they keep me as dry as wellies. Definitely the most waterproof non-rubber boots that I have ever had.

I have Karrimor curtasy of my nephew who serves in the Gren. Gaurds you can get them on the high street I am sure. Best boots I have had in 30 years.
Tusker

I have a pair of Haix cold/wet weather milsurps at the moment, cost £60. Together with gaiters they keep me as dry as wellies. Definitely the most waterproof non-rubber boots that I have ever had.

I have two pairs of these both pairs cost a lot less than what I would normally pay for one pair seem good so far if they
even last a season I'll be quids in.

Hanwag special forces gtx goretex at about £160. Mine are 5 season s of hill stalking and still going strong.

I've just ordered a pair of these but they are not within your budget and, in hindsight, probably not as waterproof as you'd like:
They do however have steel toe caps that makes them Larder H&S compliant.

K
:coat:

Just had a look at the lundhags.they are nice boots.and wot a choice what's recommended anyone
I like the basic ones, The Vandra/Ranger or the The Forester/Scout.
These are closest the the original "Shell" design. They're not the boots they used to be however, few are these days, but I've had Lundhags for 30+ years.

lundhags, and look after them, clean and wax frequently. I'll probably wear out my legs before the boots.
Im still wearing my 15 year old pair of Lundhag Syncro boots. Very rarely cleaned and hardly ever waxed. Almost at the end of there working life.
With out a doubt id purchase the same boot again..

Altbergs for me too, I also have two pairs, a lighter pair for summer use (which I wear daily for other stuff too) and a pair of Gamekeepers for winter. I keep them regularly greased up with Ledergris. Mine have never leaked.

If you've got the time then book in to the factory at Richmond and have a proper fitting. Altberg make several different width fittings and also use some different shaped lasts. Probably the nearest thing to a custom made boot without paying the huge price tag that goes with that.

Are they worth the price tag still
You decide Steve after reading the following.....

A few weeks ago I was in the Lake District and went one day for a 25km walk over the tops. My Lundhags are now around 12 years old and the nearest picture online I can find makes mine something like a medium height version of these;

Professional II High Opti | Lundhags

To accompany these I wore a pair of Coolmax liners with a Merino wool outer sock.
The weather turned nasty once on top of Fairfields with the wind pushing really hard and at one point knocking me over. Looking at puddles there were no rain droplets as the wind was that hard yet it was hammering it down. For waterproofs I had Goretex ex army top and bottoms on. As puddles and streams were met I felt quite invincible on the foot front and promptly paddled through.

I was out in it for around 5 or 6 hours with a combination of rocky paths, deep grass, streams etc. By the time I got back the Goretex had NOT been fully waterproof which under the intense wind was hardly surprising and both inner top and trouser layers were wet, however my feet were bone dry with just the sock tops damp from capillary action.

The feet were dry and that is in 12 year old boots and no blisters :)

p.s. the only two negatives I can offer in general use is they are often too warm for summer use and the neck hole for getting your foot in could be bigger but otherwise fully recommend them ;)

Last edited:
Back