Best Dovetail setup ? or best mounting system for CZ rifles

Evillemon

Hello people,

Im just looking for a bit of advice. I have a CZ 17.hmr rifle which has a dovetail mounting rail on it. I used to use standard dovetail scope rings but had a lot of problems with them coming lose and the scope losing zero which was turning into a massive ball ache.

So i tried to fit a dovetail to Picatinny rail conversion and bought some nice Leupold quick release Weaver mounts which fitted really steady. However now i have the massive issue that the scope is just way too high and i cannot get a good objective image without having my cheek 1" of the cheek piece which is going to be a nightmare for shooting accurately.

Im now thinking that the whole Dovetail to picatinny thing was a bad idea, so can anyone recommend the best dovetail rings out there ? or alternatively have any of you with a CZ rifle found a better way to get these things done...

i never normally have any scope mounting issues so why this has turned into such a massive issue for me i dont know,

old_n07

Same here regarding the dovetail to weaver adapter, tried it and after the first 5 shots took it off. I popped into my local gun shop on the way home and all he had on the shelf to fit my scope and the rifle were a set of Bisley mounts so I had them with a view to upgrading later if necessary but so far it hasn't and they have been rock solid

Last edited:

AN DU RU FOX

cz rings bkl deben no T048 i wrote this down yonks ago i dont know if its any help i will be having same prob shortly as i need a scope for my 17, sportsmatch TO48 for cz/tikka i think 15mm dovetail ebay english supplier a1tackle shop,

Last edited:

old_n07

Looking at the Sportsmatch rings they are the same as the Bisley ones, are the Bisley rings Sportsmatch ones packaged for Bisley?

Southern

Warne make rings for the CZ 527, 550, etc in several heights, fixed and QD.

[h=1]Warne Riflescope Rings for CZ 527 16mm, Quick Detach, Dovetail Medium, Gloss Finish, 30mm 15B1LG[/h]

geordieh

Hello people,

Im just looking for a bit of advice. I have a CZ 17.hmr rifle which has a dovetail mounting rail on it. I used to use standard dovetail scope rings but had a lot of problems with them coming lose and the scope losing zero which was turning into a massive ball ache.

So i tried to fit a dovetail to Picatinny rail conversion and bought some nice Leupold quick release Weaver mounts which fitted really steady. However now i have the massive issue that the scope is just way too high and i cannot get a good objective image without having my cheek 1" of the cheek piece which is going to be a nightmare for shooting accurately.

Im now thinking that the whole Dovetail to picatinny thing was a bad idea, so can anyone recommend the best dovetail rings out there ? or alternatively have any of you with a CZ rifle found a better way to get these things done...

i never normally have any scope mounting issues so why this has turned into such a massive issue for me i dont know,
Hi
Are your Leupold QRW mounts Low Medium or High
Geordie

Hornet 6

CZ Rimfire, have you actually measured across the top of the dovetail.
There are two sizes, one is easy to sort out, one isn't, so what size is yours ?
You need to know the answer before you can decide on a weaver rail for it as well.

Neil. :)

8x57

Distinguished Member
I have had a set of 1" Sportsmatch extended rings on my CZ for the last 14 years, absolutely trouble free and solid. The scope sits so low that there is only a couple of millimetres between the scope bell and the barrel. Can't be bettered in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't go to the bother of fitting a Weaver rail and using quick release rings, I made that mistake with the Sako.

Evillemon

HI Geordie, they are the low ones mate, i was thinking that with the extra height of the rail adapater they would be about right with my 50mm obj, but im still about an 1" of the cheek piece which is bad. Im not really up for spending £30 on a cheek raiser either, as im still not happy with the obj lens being 1/2 " of the barrel, i like them to be as close as possible

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i will look into some sports match ones .. gonna have to sell the 30mm leupy quick release first to raise the cash so if anyone is interested PM me

tim

Evillemon

HI Neil, yeh i know about this there is the american size and the UK size, cant remember which ones which now id have to look it up, think ones like 9/11 of an " or something like that.

Remember finding that most mounts werent giving any size options... maybe i just needed to be less lazy ..

joe soapy

newer ones 11mm older are 3/8.
Be a big step foreward if CZ used a weaver/piccatiny rail
watch sportsmatch, i have a set that are machined a fair bit out i think.
This put zero way off optical centre, which in turn upset tracking of zoom.
goning to try burris rings, centre the sight and use the ring adjustment to get poi about right.
hope this helps the Mamba work as it should

Hornet 6

newer ones 11mm older are 3/8.
Not at all, CZ use standard 11mm dovetail on most rifles, in most calibre's, but some are ⅜", namely the American model in .22lr and HM2.
What complicates it is CZ's habit of using whatever action come to hand for whatever rifle they are building next.
Just because it say's American on the side of the action, does not make it an American, as many Varmints have the same marking.
The difference will be the Varmint should have a matt finish and have an 11mm dovetail, but that is not always true.
Older Brno have these same two sizes, + a little older still and you can add 16mm to the mix as well.
What makes it all even harder is the 11mm and ⅜" dovetails are also supposed to be cut at different angles, from memory the 11mm is cut
at 45 degrees and the ⅜" at 60 degrees, this all goes wrong depending on the wear on the cutter and who sharpened it.
If you use the wrong size ring the scope will be mounted off the centre line of the bore, worse if the dovetail angle is too far out the scope will move around.
Note the dovetails are measured differently as well, the 11mm version is measured across the top face, the ⅜" is measured at the root of the dovetail cut, and is actually very nearly ½" across the top face.

My 22lr American has had many scope and ring sets over the years, but only two makes or rings have ever sat true and remained in place, an elderly set of Hilver's for a 26mm tube, and a set of even rarer and very expensive Talley's, not the ones Talley make for CZ's but a set they make to fit their own proprietary system of bases and rings, as there dovetail is the same as the ⅜" CZ dovetail.

Neil. :)

Klenchblaize

Conetrol's "Dap-Tar" mounts are what you need along with a pair of their projectionless rings in matching grade/finish.

Order the correct size and they will need to be drifted on so snug is the fit before locking up with neat hex screws.

Job done

K

shaun22/250

Just get yourself a set of BKL mounts, i had problems years ago these mounts sorted it 17 HMR American heavy barrel with an MTC Viper 6-24x56 never had to touch it or rezero in 3 years

geordieh

Hi Tim
I have a set of Sportsmatch rings around somewhere but can't remember if they are one inch or 30mm I will have a look tomorrow.I was thinking of putting leupold QRW mounts on my CZ 527 and interchanging with a kite nightsight. But I will have to get an adjustable cheekpiece fitted I think