Best fac .25 air rifle to get

owenlee

Whats a nice mid budget fac air rifle in .25 looking to spend £500-600 on a s/h setup thanks

Squirrelbasher

Whats a nice mid budget fac air rifle in .25 looking to spend £500-600 on a s/h setup thanks
I’d look at a used fx at that money, probably a royale or similar. I’ve got an impact mk2, it’s brilliant but more money than you want spend. The reason I’d go for fx is that they’re designed for much higher power than twelve ft lbs and not uprated for higher power like some are. Also, most fx’s have a power adjuster, which on an fac air gun adds much versatility.

owenlee

The fx guns are really nice I can buy a edgun .25 at 50lbft looks a lovely rifle same as Ted's holdover uses not gonna rush and buy the first gun

DVS1

I have an edgun R3m in .25 fac and its a serious tool. Built like the proverbial russian tank, able to replace o rings in the field and maintain same zero...you wouldn't do it but if you had to you could...and accurate once speed is tweaked to the pellet.

Used to have a rapid 7 in .25 also, another agricultural workhorse but I sold it to fund the edgun.

old keeper

I've had quite a few makes over the years, most of them have been very good indeed. However, I have to say although they are on the dear side FX really are excellent rifles and ridiculously accurate!

Northman_

I would get a FAC power Weihrauch HW80K in .25
Restock it in a CS 500 stock with schnabel front.
SWFA SS 6x42 in Sportsmatch mounts.

And I would be happy with it for 30+ more years.

But we are just not allowed to hunt with air rifles in my country..
So no need..

owenlee

Whats a springer like in fac I'd imagine it's got a hell of a kick from it I do like a weihrauch 95k lovely guns I've got a .22 fac theoben rapid 7 mk1 thats brilliant

Kevgun

You will pick up a reasonable Theoben Rapid Mk1 for that Money, the Rapid was designed all those years ago as a Fac rifle, where as most of the others lister were Sub 12ft lbs, you need a reasonable sized pre chamber to get consistent results, but the Rapid Mk1 has no Regulator, this is not a problem if you know how to balance the springs, a well fettled Rapid is a match for any of the ones listed, even FX the smooth twist barrel on the FX models was a Ben Taylor ( of Theoben ) idea he sold to FX when Theoben were bought out and moved to the USA, I might be biased though because I have 4 of them and 2 in build , I'm going to use a FX heavy slug liner on one of them, should be pretty good out to 200 yards

FAC Rapids are cheaper to buy if you have a slot on your ticket, because it's a limited audience.

Good luck in whatever you decide on.

owenlee

Thanks gent I already have a theoben so would like something different in .25 fx do look nice so the the edgun

Kevgun

Yes the FX do build a nice rifle, I have a 30 cal FX Bobcat, which dominated the USA benchrest scene for a couple or year when it was first launched.

shoots a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards, but still its no Rapid

aquarius11

I had a Rapid many years ago, fantastic rifle silly accurate, had a Tyrolean stock on it.
Well recommend don't be put off by the age of them either.

LeftHandGuy

Whats a springer like in fac I'd imagine it's got a hell of a kick from it I do like a weihrauch 95k lovely guns I've got a .22 fac theoben rapid 7 mk1 thats brilliant

I had a Webley Patriot 22 FAC break barrel springer. It served a purpose for me at the time, which was to get my initial FAC cheaply and with minimal concerns about land permissions. As a gun in it’s own right it was excessively heavy and didn’t really do anything better than a sub 12 ft/lb air rifle.

It did have a great trigger, but apart from that it was not something I could recommend unless you really had a “thing” for older British made guns.

For practical use a PCP is better in every possible way.

villaman

Rapids are old hat and have been for a long time now . You will still have your romantics for them . FX are in a completely different league probably the best FAC air about and far better than the overrated, overpriced crap daystate produce

Finch

I've looked into this myself. The HW80 is a fine gun. Springer/rammers don't want to be any more powerful than about 18/20 ft/lb or they become excessively hard to cock and difficult to shoot accurately.
Worst air rifle I ever had was a Theoben Eliminator. Almost impossible to cock from a prone position and equally impossible to shoot groups tighter than 2" at 35 yards, which is useless. Plenty of power but it would have been more accurate to throw the rifle at the target.
For me, I'd have something like an HW80 if I was body shooting pigeons at short range, say in a garden or round buildings, but I'd have it in .22 rather than .25. For general purpose vermin it would be a PCP every time.

Doric

FX take a great deal of time and care with R&D. This shows in accuracy with various amunition types and weights. If you feel the need for very high power they can be tweeked up to extreem levels in the case of the Maveric, Crown or Impact and still produce a usefull number of shots per fill.
The Impact M3 can produce near long rifle power levels and still return an impresive shot count. Expect a shot count in excess of 300 at over 30 foot pounds .