Best food?

Modern British can be absolutely superb but sadly we also get a lot of poor quality dishes/foods, a bit like anywhere in the world.
Many of my best meals abroad have been as much around the experience/situation as the food per se. After descending from Illimani in Bolivia we were met at the road head with warm beer and day old cold pizza, that was sublimely delicious.
I have had many superb meals cooked high in the mountains using rudimentary cooking equipment but always good quality natural ingredients.
My worst case of food poisoning, Campylobacter, was from a renown restaurant in Bristol.

Modern British can be absolutely superb but sadly we also get a lot of poor quality dishes/foods, a bit like anywhere in the world.
Many of my best meals abroad have been as much around the experience/situation as the food per se. After descending from Illimani in Bolivia we were met at the road head with warm beer and day old cold pizza, that was sublimely delicious.
I have had many superb meals cooked high in the mountains using rudimentary cooking equipment but always good quality natural ingredients.
My worst case of food poisoning, Campylobacter, was from a renown restaurant in Bristol.
Definitely, the situation, the surroundings, the company can make or break it, almost like terroir.

Morkai, I thought I was a food enthusiast. You make me look like a beginner! Looks like Portuguese food is number 1 to try. I make a pretty good Spanish shrimp dish called garlic shrimp taverina. I really enjoyed the food in the UK when I was there a few years ago. Anyone who bad mouths it has no idea of what their talking about. Kind of like the guy that says a .270 Win is not a good deer round.

You absolutely cannot beat those two British cuisine classics.

Cod and chips with scraps, covered in salt and vinegar and served in pages of yesterday's newspaper - eaten while wandering along the sea-front and fighting off the seagulls.

And chicken tikka masala, eaten in a restaurant with 1970s flock wallpaper, washed down with several bottles of Cobra or Kingfisher lager.

You absolutely cannot beat those two British cuisine classics.

Cod and chips with scraps, covered in salt and vinegar and served in pages of yesterday's newspaper - eaten while wandering along the sea-front and fighting off the seagulls.

And chicken tikka masala, eaten in a restaurant with 1970s flock wallpaper, washed down with several bottles of Cobra or Kingfisher lager.
I can picture the wallpaper now, haha. So British.

Morkai, I thought I was a food enthusiast. You make me look like a beginner! Looks like Portuguese food is number 1 to try. I make a pretty good Spanish shrimp dish called garlic shrimp taverina. I really enjoyed the food in the UK when I was there a few years ago. Anyone who bad mouths it has no idea of what their talking about. Kind of like the guy that says a .270 Win is not a good deer round.
Mate, I could bore the brains out of you talking about food all day, I love it.

I did a 18hr Texas style brisket with burnt ends, a 12hr pork shoulder with homemade Carolina mustard and a bacon mac&cheese in the homemade offset last month.

I'll chuck some pics up at some point.

Japanese. The best sushi and sashimi is truly sublime, though not cheap.

Middle Eastern food is also very good - Israeli, Egyptian, Lebanese and Palestinian in particular.

British, French, Italian, Spanish - when done well it is excellent, but it can be very much luck of the draw.

Spain....... as good as some of our pork is, & my local butcher has the best bacon I ever ate, I gotta say Spanish cuisine takes the biscuit, from the Tapas, to sausages to that incredible Jamon Negra & seafood, they got it right. After a hot day, some Tapas, washed down with a cold Fino, is just about perfect. And some of that red wine!!!!!!!!! thats class.

Back