Best Hand Primer for 223 sized shells

Lateral

I have a Lee hand priming tool, and use the appropriate LEE shell holders. I have just started reloading for 300 blackout, which is 223 Remington based, and the shell holder is horrible. The shell is loose, and jams every time I fit a primer, and I've damaged a couple of primers where they aren't seating correctly.

So, are there any other shell holders that fit the Lee tool, or which brand manufacture to a higher spec ?

Muir

I have a Lee hand priming tool, and use the appropriate LEE shell holders. I have just started reloading for 300 blackout, which is 223 Remington based, and the shell holder is horrible. The shell is loose, and jams every time I fit a primer, and I've damaged a couple of primers where they aren't seating correctly.

So, are there any other shell holders that fit the Lee tool, or which brand manufacture to a higher spec ?
What number shell holder do you have? Mine works fine for 223, 222, and 300AAC.~Muir

..and what brand of brass??

Sinistral

You should be using a Lee #4 auto-prime shell-holder. This is exactly the same dimension as the Lee #4 press equivalent, with the circlip attachment base removed. Only Lee do AP shell-holders.

The only other Lee which will work is the #19 (9mm Para) which will be loose. If it’s not that, are you using .223 reformed cases with a crimped primer pocket, or proper .300 AAC?

Lateral

Brass is new Lapua, and it is a Lee no.4. I just checked, and the shell is far looser in the primer holder, than the press holder. Maybe just buy another one to try.

Thanks

Orion

Which Lee Auto-Prime do you have?

I've found the latest one with the black handle and triangular hopper arrangement to be far better than the prevous one - primer tray lid kept coming loose allowing small primers to feed at odd angles - it also now comes with specific large and small primer adapters. Not had any problem with the no. 4 shellholder for 300BLK.

Middlebridge

I've occasionaly found that new cases need a little extra force to seat the primers properly. If the shell holder is a loose fit, that shouldn't stop them seating fully.