Best time to scan bitch for pups

Red Dragon 2

Anyone know when the best time to scan for how many pups a pregnant bitch is going to have? Last one (not this dog) scan just showed loads of fluid and no pups, she had 3, 2 normally and then had to have c section for the last one which was 3 times normal size but died immediately.

Dan Newcombe

We tend to go for 4 weeks ish.

By 5 weeks we generally find that they are showing to some degree but to put your mind at rest a scan is handy.

We never really try to count them though, essentially we are just wanting to know if there are pups in there so that we can make the decision to pull the bitch out of work or not.

Red Dragon 2

Thanks for the replies, did not have much faith in the vet doing the scan as she said it was a phantom pregnancy and was going to dose the dog up to "get her back to normal" which I said no to. Think I will give it a miss this time as this bitch has started to swell up, just wait and see. Due 5th-10th March.

rms364

I wouldn’t bother. It’ll spoil the surprise!! But all seriousness they can’t tell you with any confidence how many and the bitch will show from maybe 5 wks on. Just another way for vets to extract more loot from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

countrryboy

Do u have any shee scanner folk near u??

I know a couple of ocal boys prefer to go to the locla sheep scanners to get there bitches done, thats wot they do FT at this time of year so the good 1's are pretty good at reading the scans.
Might be worth a try, they don't charge a lot up here either.

Keith Edmunds

We tend to go for 4 weeks ish.

By 5 weeks we generally find that they are showing to some degree but to put your mind at rest a scan is handy.

We never really try to count them though, essentially we are just wanting to know if there are pups in there so that we can make the decision to pull the bitch out of work or not.
Agree, unfortunately our vet insists on 5 weeks - we would prefer 4 weeks.

Buchan

3 - 4 weeks. You can't be accurate on the number, I'm afraid, too much other stuff (including crap) gets in the way.