Best Value Thermal with LRF

@theroedeerguy

After initially being underwhelmed after using a XP50 Helion as my first thermal experience, I have since discovered that if you actually read the instructions and adjust the settings it is amazing!

I am beginning to think that a pocket sized thermal, ideally with a rangefinder is something that would get some use.

What are the current options available?

I am only looking to identify deer sized heat sources and stalk in and confirm identification with binoculars etc. before setting up for a potential shot for deer stalking and for fox control I’ll be scanning fields before using a gun mounted lamp.

I’d consider 2nd hand options too.

Most of the pocketsized thermals are okay but I can't rate highly enough the accolades, it's a rather big investment but I've had a pair for a good few years now and have had 4 k worth of fun out of them and they are still going strong, with plenty of abuse in wet conditions

Most of the pocketsized thermals are okay but I can't rate highly enough the accolades, it's a rather big investment but I've had a pair for a good few years now and have had 4 k worth of fun out of them and they are still going strong, with plenty of abuse in wet conditions
I have had a shot of a demo pair of accolades and they were excellent but I am looking for a thermal to compliment my binoculars and not take over from them ideally pocket sized, I found the XP50 unit was a bit cumbersome in use.

I have had a shot of a demo pair of accolades and they were excellent but I am looking for a thermal to compliment my binoculars and not take over from them ideally pocket sized, I found the XP50 unit was a bit cumbersome in use.
youd be looking for an pulsar axion or infiray zoom then id say

After initially being underwhelmed after using a XP50 Helion as my first thermal experience, I have since discovered that if you actually read the instructions and adjust the settings it is amazing!

I am beginning to think that a pocket sized thermal, ideally with a rangefinder is something that would get some use.

What are the current options available?

I am only looking to identify deer sized heat sources and stalk in and confirm identification with binoculars etc. before setting up for a potential shot for deer stalking and for fox control I’ll be scanning fields before using a gun mounted lamp.

I’d consider 2nd hand options too.

The Pulsar Axion XQ38LRF fits your criteria perfectly, great bit of kit.
No recording but I just stuff my phone in the eye piece if I feel the need, pm me your WhatsApp and I’ll send you vids of roe etc.
F804C096-95BE-4FCA-907B-6CD4D10DDCC3.jpeg

Another vote for the axion lrf. Great little unit which is nice and compact, removable batteries do you can carry spares, and reasonably priced . A little focus fussy and won’t be the quality picture of your helion or the accolades, but still a great unit.

Been saying that the helion would be amazing with a rangefinder on the side for years… I’m hoping after the axion and accolades, it’s in the pipeline.

Another vote for the axion lrf. Great little unit which is nice and compact, removable batteries do you can carry spares, and reasonably priced . A little focus fussy and won’t be the quality picture of your helion or the accolades, but still a great unit.

Been saying that the helion would be amazing with a rangefinder on the side for years… I’m hoping after the axion and accolades, it’s in the pipeline.
Yes same here. The Helion XP50 Pro with the miniscule Axion LRF module on the side would awesome.

Yes, the Helion 2 XP50 pro would be a great bit of kit - but if Pulsar did that, who would buy their accolades?
Never, ever, count on Pulsar to make kit that the market really wants - only expect them to make kit THEY THINK the market NEEDS - and those are usually 2 very different things.
Also, because they are based in Lithuania, most of their focus is on the types of hunting that are most common in Europe (primarily boar) and again, that is frequently different from the need of night shooters in the UK.

Cheers

Bruce

Yes, the Helion 2 XP50 pro would be a great bit of kit - but if Pulsar did that, who would buy their accolades?
Never, ever, count on Pulsar to make kit that the market really wants - only expect them to make kit THEY THINK the market NEEDS - and those are usually 2 very different things.
Also, because they are based in Lithuania, most of their focus is on the types of hunting that are most common in Europe (primarily boar) and again, that is frequently different from the need of night shooters in the UK.

Cheers

Bruce
Unfortunately you might be right Bruce, but live in hope that for this particular product you are wrong, as I don`t want the lumpy Accolade`s.

Back