Best way to get ground?

Was wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding obtaining permission.

Going to the farmers door?
Sending a letter?
Over the phone?

Any other way that I have missed?

Cheers
Steven.

enfieldspares

Yes. Getting invited by a good friend or generous acquaintance to come along and shoot on their permission then 'phoning up the landowner a week or so later and usurping your friend's shooting rights. That's another way.

:mad:

James0586

All of the above, I had a few foxing permissions from hanging around up the local sheep sales. Put a sign up in the window with FREE FOX CONTROL and parked up near the front of the sales. Once you start talking to one the word got around... no deer this way though as there’s very few around me in South Wales and if there is there is about 50 people after it with dogs crossbows rifles etc!

You need to make them want you as a service and make sure you stay there and do it to get them the results they want.

My mate lost a permission in Bath because he tried to educate a farmer who couldn’t give a hoot... he had a load of fallow deer on his ground costing him money and wanted them gone taking one for the pot didn’t cut it with him....

Had a local boy in and he wiped them out over a few weeks.

Happy farmer!

Not so happy mate!

Good luck

James0586

Yes. Getting invited by a good friend or generous acquaintance to come along and shoot on their permission then 'phoning up the landowner a week or so later and usurping your friend's shooting rights. That's another way.

:mad:
Don’t think that’s the best way to go about things!!!

I hate shite like that!:mad:

Hereford

Was wondering what people’s thoughts are regarding obtaining permission.

Going to the farmers door?
Sending a letter?
Over the phone?

Any other way that I have missed?

Cheers
Steven.
Going to the farmers door? - We’re never in...
Sending a letter? - We’re not great readers - if it’s not a cheque then it goes in the to-do pile....
Over the phone? - Dropped it in a. grain store b. silage clamp c. puddle d. left it on front wheel of tractor then drove off over it e. hole in overall pocket f. etc, etc, etc

Any other way that I have missed? - marry his daughter :love:

PKL

hereford just about nailed it! LOL...

IMHO, networking, networking, asking, making friends, getting to know people working on farms, etc. etc. etc. eventually something will come out that's good, but it takes time,,there's NO quick and easy way,,every single door and phone has already been knocked on and called several hundrend times in the UK if the owner has land worth hunting on..I guarantee that...

Cottis

Sending a letter? - We’re not great readers - if it’s not a cheque then it goes in the to-do pile....
Over the phone? - Dropped it in a. grain store b. silage clamp c. puddle d. left it on front wheel of tractor then drove off over it e. hole in overall pocket f. etc, etc, etc

Totally this, we just don't have time and much of the time, it is either not wanted or dealt with already.

I would say that making contact with a stranger generally in order to get something you want is not a good idea, whether it is shooting or not. If a farmer/landowner has an issue, they will know about and will be probably doing something about it.

That is not to say you cannot get in there somehow but it will need a far better, longer term and more positive approach that helps the farmer and not by saying "I can shoot all your foxes"

People I know who have shooting rights at places they do not own generally have gotten to know people. They are integrated in rural life or are able to offer help to farmers/landowners in some other way. Familiarity grows and opportunities to show your worth and how trustworthy you can be will present themselves. In time, this can be rewarded with permission to shoot.

If anyone phoned us up and said "can i walk around with a firearm and shoot stuff on your land?" they would just be laughed at.

Offer something of use to the other party first before you effectively ask for permission to walk armed around their land. Farmer spend their entire life annoyed at the public who basically obstruct their ability to do their work. They view you as the public. Make yourself familiar and not just another Joe Public

I’am a farmer my self and was just curious as to how other people go about getting ground.

I only have they ground on the farm I work on to shoot over.

Recently though it’s became unchallenging in that 95% of the deer I take are from the same field.

I can walk out my back door cross the yard and take one and be back in the house 10 minutes late.

tozzybum

beaters wanted adds got my latest perm,beaters get to know farmers, landowners etc and a person who knows you is more trusting than a stranger as Cottis said.

Got Insured and helped work partys ,feeder filling and fence repairs.Word of mouth got me shooting and in return help with whatever i can .
atb

Last edited:

penta

I’am a farmer my self and was just curious as to how other people go about getting ground.

Recently though it’s became unchallenging in that 95% of the deer I take are from the same field.

I can walk out my back door cross the yard and take one and be back in the house 10 minutes late.
Most farmers know other farmer's-Moooo!!.

Us poultry farmers don’t really deal with other farmers in the sense of meeting them at markets & stuff.

Some don’t even call us real farmers lol.

VSS

You need to make them want you as a service and make sure you stay there and do it to get them the results they want.
This ^^^
Also, as a farmer myself, I have found that I can get permission where other people have asked and been turned away. Sometimes even just get offered it, when other farmers find out that I have an interest in that sort of thing. Why? Just because I fit the picture, I suppose.
Unfortunately no deer around here, but I get asked to shoot pigeons, rabbits, foxes etc, and the landowners provide cartridges.

Hereford

It’s who you know, not what you know :thumb:

banus

try going on a few stalks that you pay for ,try 3 or 4 outfits and you will get an idea of how difficult it is to find stalking.there are many on here willing to take clients out and you never know something may crop up.

Pete6.5

The very best way to get ground is to buy some woods yourself it's the only way you won't have to be constantly looking over shoulder. I know this isn't a option for most so you have to fall back on getting to know a lot of people not just farmers because you have to be well known in a area to be trusted by the people who decide who shoots the ground.or the last option is to get the cheque book out and the top going rate

Reactions: JTO

Toddy222

I tried that (marry daughter ) still have the shooting !!! But not the daughter

hendrix's rifle

The first one is hardest, don't know many people, dont have your skills up to scratch and so on. If you do a good job on your first odds are your name will travel, on the flip side, if you dont so great and leave a mess it will travel even faster! All mine bar 1 has come from a phone call of someone asking for assistance with something. As your a farmer you will know trustworthy eyes on the ground saves a lot of agro and goes a long way in most aspects, if you get the job done and cause minimal disturbance, your tidy and leave it as you found It he will tell his neighbor's, they will contact you then you have to start turning people down or getting friends to help!

dartmoordog

Whatever or however you get your permissions, just makes sure you can get to them all on a regular basis. Too many stalkers/groups grab everything they can and then do not get around to them all to do a good enough job.

Good luck with your stalking.