Best way to get ground?

Camelfarm

Whatever or however you get your permissions, just makes sure you can get to them all on a regular basis. Too many stalkers/groups grab everything they can and then do not get around to them all to do a good enough job.

Good luck with your stalking.
This is so true - I have my permission and possibly another coming soon on a share basis because other people made huge promises (probably seriously made) about how often they could get there and what they could achieve only to find they couldn't fulfill. Lost their land fairly quickly.

Best not to over promise and then hopefully over deliver on what you said you could manage. I am very happy to share my permissions with others as long as we have a unified plan and stick to it. It also helps in that situation to make sure you co-ordinate with any other users rather than having the landowner have to deconflict etc - makes you all look disorganised.

I find most landowners I have approached in the past (not just for deer) are reasonably happy for you to be there but don't want to have anything to do with the running of it other than being informed when people will be out.

mudman

Cash, lots of it. Then go door knocking. You will still get knock backs but in general farmer folk tend to view approaches accompanied by envelopes stuffed with cash much more favourably.

Last edited:

opticron1

Just wondered whether you're missing a possibility Jasperold7? Try offering to swap a stalk on your own land for a stalk elsewhere or for another deer type, you seem to have ground (and deer) close at hand so might be worth a try through this site?

Pedro

It's all a question of trust. Knock on a farmer's door and if he doesn't know you, for all he knows you could be someone who is going to walk around, not closing gates, banging away with your rifle next to his stock causing them to abort and waltzing through his crops. Write and it'll be junk mail to most of them. As for telephone cold calling, just think what you'd do with cold callers.

So how do you get to know them? It's no quick thing. Find out which game shoots the local farmers are in and start beating there. Better still if you can, take a gun or half gun. Then you can sit down with them at lunch time or if there's a meal after and chat. There may or may not be any shooting openings but eventually there will be and if you are known and trusted by them, you'll be in the picture. But it won't happen over night. When you do get permission, if it's on the understanding you control the rabbits, or deer or whatever, be sure you do that and let him know you are doing that. If it's something you pay for, fine. But if not, even if you are doing a service such as keeping the rabbits at bay, come Christmas, call round with a bottle of good whisky and a nice wine for his wife. Even if you're paying for the rights, still a good policy.

johngryphon

Farmers are always up to their armpits with work,offering to help out at harvest,lamb marking,fencing,general farm work or if you have a trade,offer mechanical,welding,plumbing,carpentry etc etc

If you own a pie shop offer them a box of pies!

Laddz

Farmers are always up to their armpits with work,offering to help out at harvest,lamb marking,fencing,general farm work or if you have a trade,offer mechanical,welding,plumbing,carpentry etc etc

If you own a pie shop offer them a box of pies!
I also try and go regularly and set some mole traps and he is very happy when I inform him how many I’ve trapped that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk