bi pod

tony rentokil

Mornin,I am looking for a bi pod,the thing is my rifle already weighs a ton so,do not want a fixed one.
I know about the carbon /javelin ones but,I cannot justify paying, that much for something that may, or may not, get used that often.
Have you guys any ideas,what do you use if in the same boat?
Regards Tony.

Moray Outfitting

Reference to the hard to find - G Kenneth Whitehead's 'Practical deerstalking ( if you find a copy buy it! ) - shows pictures of a folding multi-point wooden contraption that served him extremely well - carried in his pocket or rucksack until needed.

The Robertson stick system that we retail came in a micro version that allowed ( I think ) 6mm garden canes to be joined just as the larger unit. This was intended to make up short supports and was an elegant thing - but ultimately cost the same to produce as the larger unit. We still have in stock.

If weight is an issue and/ or its for infrequent use - or you have something like a Mannlicher Synthetic Prohunter with flexing forestock - then a lot of advantages to just having a separate set of sticks.

Because all the sizing is smaller it will work quite well with just utilising a 6mm green plastic coated cane cut to length ( no more than 25cm for loading stress ) and join two with some shock cord or similiar. Tight but not too tight will allow swift height adjustment if needed. Total cost - about £4?

I can make some up, call them Warrior Ninja Elite Z 9000, stick a logo on it and charge £500 if it helps.... :D

Moray Outfitting

No No No Kalahari, Superior - and signed by a world famous bloke -ie someone with more than 12 Youtube subscribers - are £750 because they are betterer :D

Sorry to the OP for the side tracking humour.

nun_hunter

As said above, thin garden canes and a small exhaust rubber hanger as a hinge point. Not as nice as my Javelin but then it's a ting fraction of the cost.

jcampbellsmith

Mornin,I am looking for a bi pod,the thing is my rifle already weighs a ton so,do not want a fixed one.
I know about the carbon /javelin ones but,I cannot justify paying, that much for something that may, or may not, get used that often.
Regards Tony.

Dropbox - 2017-04-17 11.14.14.jpg My Dad had these made - eye wateringly expensive. I recall going out with a stalker who kept a similar pair in one of his wellies.

Regards JCS

Eric the Red

Regards Tony.
Bipod - and I therefore assume you mean a 9-12 type thing over sticks, which is where this thread currently appears to be heading. I have a brand new VersaPod battle pack here - that makes for easy mounting at speed if needed.
Certainly worth a look as a solution if nothing else.
Feel free to ping me for a look/purchase.

Eric the Red

Also have a look at the Bushnell Stoney Point solution. I really liked it for weight and flexibility - but I found the quality of the rubber joint wanting. They may have changed the batch by now...... They do ling and short bipod and sticks so you can swap easily - and they were super light......

tarponhead

Try Vanguard Equalizer - quick detachable, so just leaves a small rail on the underside of your rifle. I have one and to now fits 4 of my rifles - you can leave the bipod off for high seats or thick cover or when on sticks and slip it on quickly if doing hedgerows or in the woods. About £100.

Mauser243

Regards Tony.

I stalk with a couple of small hardwood sticks instead of a fixed bi-pod. Never have any problems. Cheap and cheerful. There will be a lot of people have different views and probably disagree, but give it a go.

M

Glendine

Regards Tony.
A decent "wide" rifle sling or backpack style rifle sling can make an big difference to a heavy gun distributing the weight across your back.
Glendine.