Big game hunting - marmite

cjm1066

Many, including deer-stalkers, will find trophy-hunting distasteful. Many African species hunted can't claim the added justification that they provide food. Can't agree that we must all stick together no matter what; we can and should apply discrimination and discretion. I don't think we're still defending badger-baiting or cock-fighting are we?
Having hunted in Africa I can say that all the meat was used. Trophies, very average animals I culled are on my wall as a memento, as are some UK deer.

Highlandsjohn

As a keen Africa hunter it gets up my nose that hunters wont unite under one banner. Today its the banning or trophy imports tomorrow it will be driven pheasant. If someone would be so kind as to tell me whats sporting about a line of guns firing at birds that have no option other than to go towards them?? That aside I support what they do. Why?? Because they just like us belong to a brotherhood of people that enjoy shooting/hunting. Also are the birds not commercially reared for shoots?? Whats the difference between them and CBL?? Life is life and all of us have and do take life as well as make the choice not to.

The article in the BASC had me angered to the point that I accused them of publishing a piece written by an anti. The term 'canned hunting' is very nasty one. I have come across people that partake in this hunting practice and I distance myself from them as there is no fair chase to it.

PS If I knew about the petition I would've signed it and passed it on
Agree on the canned stuff. Put and take is no fair chase..

norfolk shooter

The thing I struggle to get my head around is my Mrs. She will tell her mates I stalk deer, shoot pigeons and go wildfowling. But there is never a mention of Africa. Its like a dirty little secret. To that end I cant put up any of my Africa heads (trophies) at home

sauer

Naaah sorry yes my wife and I are a team but if I want my heads up on walls I’ll do it !

No difference between a red stag skull on wall or an African trophy .

I had folk round one night and commented how nice it was ( my red stag skull)
Then went off on one about Africa trophy hunting .....
Let’s just say after a conversation and some education over a beer he was blown away ....

I fill freezer but I put skull on wall to sit with a whisky in front of the log burner to reminisce about a day with my brother and a friend ....
So if that makes me a trophy hunter so be it

Paul

tusker

Many, including deer-stalkers, will find trophy-hunting distasteful. Many African species hunted can't claim the added justification that they provide food. Can't agree that we must all stick together no matter what; we can and should apply discrimination and discretion. I don't think we're still defending badger-baiting or cock-fighting are we?
Do your self a favour and go to Africa and see for your self. I really don't know how you can mention in the same breath sporting hunting with 2 acts that are ,and have been illegal for years to do so is just the vocabulary of the anti,s always quoting illegal acts when discussing hunting.
Tusker

Orion

I really don't know how you can mention in the same breath sporting hunting with 2 acts that are ,and have been illegal for years to do so is just the vocabulary of the anti,s always quoting illegal acts when discussing hunting.
Absolutely correct. :thumb:

It’s not just years, it’s getting on towards the thick end of two centuries as both were banned in 1835!