Bilberry season is almost upon us

sh1kar

I love them. Whortleberries. Myrtilles. And not these tasteless blueberries the Americans have foisted on us. I am lucky to be in an area with high densities in the heathlands and conifer plantations within a few miles. MoD land is usually laden with them. Fantastic in pies. Buns etc. The Poles have an industry around them. If you can’t pick them near you look for Krakus brand in Polish delis

I also used to pick wild cranberries when stalking high up in the Cairngorms. Amazing taste. But you would need to do some miles to get enough to make wild cranberry sauce and distracting from the deer

So far though doesn’t seem a great year

s

Jagare

It looks like it's going to be a poor year for blue berries this year and I've not seen a lot of Lingon berries either. There were a few wild strawberry about today when I was strimming the grass on the track edges. They are very tasty

Drum123

I spent hours sat waiting for grouse drives on the north york moors to start as a kid , scoffing my face on bilberry.Happy,carefree days.

greenshoots

used to sell them as a child go up mountain pick and sell at the pint door to door in village long time ago

greenshoots