Binoculars and range finders

grahamch

Am looking at getting some kit and after some advice.

Should l buy an expensive set of range finding binos or should l get a sensibly priced set of binos and a sensibly priced range finder? My budget is not huge. Am not interested in thermal kit.

mealiejimmy

Get rangefinding binos.
Carrying binos and a rangefinder is just a faff
Best bang for your buck rangefinding binos are the Vortex Fury because of the lifetime warranty which includes the electronics
Other makes like Kahles and Delta have good warranties on the glass and body but much shorter warranties on the electronics.

Cheers

Bruce

long_range_rob

Range finding bins are getting cheaper. Look for second hand as a second hand pair of Swarovski’s will be better than new lesser bins.

caberslash

Am looking at getting some kit and after some advice.

Should l buy an expensive set of range finding binos or should l get a sensibly priced set of binos and a sensibly priced range finder? My budget is not huge. Am not interested in thermal kit.

Get a separate rangefinder.

Electronics improve every few years.

Upgrading to a slightly better (faster, more features, more accurate, lighter) rangefinder every 5 years is much more sensible than buying a set of binoculars with them bolted in, as the resale value is terrible.

Rangefinding binoculars are heavier, more expensive, have worse light transmission and are usually harder to hold steady compared to their non-rangefinding counterparts.

There will be some one here who argue 'it's faster to range with rangefinding binoculars'. Well do your really need to range a shot under 200 meters?

If you are taking a 'long range' shot there should be ample time to make a decision anyway.

Heym SR20

I am of the opposite view. Get a good pair of binoculars. Range finding bins are more expensive and heavier.

On your smartphone download google earth. Find the ground you are stalking on. Measure some key distances - length of fields etc. And use these as the basis to learn how to judge range.

And make a mockup out pf cardboard of the size of your typical deer. Put it down range at 100m, 200m and 300m. Set your scope on say 6x and learn how big that animal looks in both your binoculars and in your scope.

it wont take long to learn when a beast too far away - ie much beyond 200m. Set the rifle to shoot 4cm high at 100m. See deer, looks to be in range. Cross in centre of target. Dead deer.

You don’t need a rangefinder to stalk deer. But dealers etc will tell you that you do, and that you need ti upgrade every 3 or 4 years. And I have yet to find any electronics that work reliably in the wet over the longer period.

mealiejimmy

Range finding bins are getting cheaper. Look for second hand as a second hand pair of Swarovski’s will be better than new lesser bins.
^That will be true but Swarovski only give a 2 year warranty on the electronics.
Vortex give a lifetime warranty on all parts of the binoculars - so a second hand Vortex would be a good choice
The Delta optical warranty is 10 years but I can't confirm whether or not that includes the electronics

Cheers

Bruce

User00026

Good binos, learn to play golf and range finding will become instinct down to yards..plus, you will have a hobby when the plods take our toys away!

JabaliHunter

^That will be true but Swarovski only give a 2 year warranty on the electronics.
Vortex give a lifetime warranty on all parts of the binoculars - so a second hand Vortex would be a good choice
The Delta optical warranty is 10 years but I can't confirm whether or not that includes the electronics

Cheers

Bruce
Yes, Swarovski and Leica are missing a trick with their warranties, although how many actually develop faults? Nevertheless it would be good PR to extend the warranty.

ColinBr

Cheers

Bruce
I'm sure the Delta's are 10 years including the electronics. Will try and confirm once home to check mine.

Whitefront

Overall scores out of 10 in ST were: Zeiss 8.5; Vortex 9; Swaro 9.5; Leica 8. Surprised at the last.

I recently bought some Vortex Fury rf binos, partly on price (less than half that of an alpha brand), partly on performance and partly on no-quibble lifetime warranty. Have to say I am impressed so far. Optical quality is so near to my Swaro SLCs as to make no real difference in the field. I don't understand why the alpha brands don't give more than 2 yr warranty on electronics. As for separate RF, I have one - but found I seldom actually used it before taking a shot on the hill. One optic is the way to go, for me.

Klenchblaize

The future is bright. The future is thermal!

Looking forward to mega-deals on large objective RF bins as SD hunters realise they are less than confident in nailing cull quality deer beyond 151 yards and opt for the “close encounter” of the less challenging kind.

K

GWP

Buy good binos second hand range finders are cheep and will live in your pocket most of the time

ejg

I have a set of Vortex Fury and a Fury HD5000. The 5000 are faster and will range twice as far. In the last two seasons i have definitely shot more deer with the RF binos than with separate sets. Every season I had a handful deer that slipped away because i was missing a few seconds. In one year my average distance was 250m in other years down to 150m. Most of my deer are shot around lunch time either by going into the thick stuff or longer range when they step out for a moment to feed or just cross through forest cuttings.
edi

User00026

The tester said the Vortex would be his top choice, less than half the price of the others.
Probably paid to say that to be fair, or he was from the US where they are not optics snobs and cannot envisage spending the money on glass that we do in europe

Tazz

Get a decent set of RF binos, lots of good brands middle to high end and decent options second hand. In the field why carry two bits of kit and have to switch between them